|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of theory does matter behave according to quantum theory?
2. What partially restores determinism as a view?
3. What kind of advanced development does Hawking predict for humanity?
4. What do the Schrodinger equations assume?
5. What kind of explanation does Hawking give for how it might be possible to travel through time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would black hole radiation occur?
2. What are wormholes?
3. What does Hawking think about the possible technological level of extraterrestrials?
4. What does Hawking believe black holes radiate?
5. What is the main question concerning space-time, if one avoids philosophical discussion and focuses on the laws of physics?
6. What does much of the possibility of time travel depend upon?
7. How does Hawking begin Chapter Four?
8. What does Hawking think he can prove about space-time paths?
9. What did the physicist John Wheeler mean when he said, "a black hole has no hair"?
10. What did Strominger and Vafa postulate in 1996?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Expound on Einstein's involvement, direct or indirect, in WWII. Be sure to discuss the relationship between scientific discovery and practical use. Analyze The Manhattan Project as an example of science and its utilization.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter Five provides a complex picture of the interconnections between space-time, the multiple history idea, and quantum theory. Write an essay that analyzes the relationship between these three concepts, and use at least two examples from Chapter Five that support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Define and describe supersymmetry and its implications on space-time. Cite two examples from Chapter Two that identify important players in the idea's inception or in its repercussions and consequences on modern scientific thought.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)