|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are singularities?
2. How could time travel be possible?
3. What partially restores determinism as a view?
4. What can p-branes predict?
5. What is determinism threatened by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three of the things Hawking declares have increased exponentially, doubling every forty years of less?
2. What does much of the possibility of time travel depend upon?
3. What partially restores determinism and why?
4. What is the Schrodinger equation?
5. What does it mean for Hawking to think one can "move" positive vacuum energy?
6. What does Hawking think he can prove about space-time paths?
7. What is the grandfather paradox?
8. What are wormholes?
9. What does Hawking think about the possible technological level of extraterrestrials?
10. What does Hawking claim might happen if children could gestate outside the womb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the history of the theory of curved spaces. What is this theory's relationship to the idea of space-time? Cite two examples from Chapter One that identify key participants, events, or ideas related to this topic.
Essay Topic 2
Chapter Five provides a complex picture of the interconnections between space-time, the multiple history idea, and quantum theory. Write an essay that analyzes the relationship between these three concepts, and use at least two examples from Chapter Five that support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Using Chapter Seven as an informative text, write an essay on WIMPs. Be sure to properly define WIMPs, discuss their relationship with potential shadow brane worlds, and also analyze the lack of gamma radiation coming from black holes.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)