|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What paradox does time travel generate?
2. What kind of theory do we not have yet that is essential to figuring out time travel?
3. What did Strominger and Vafa postulate in 1996?
4. How many books a year are estimated to be published?
5. What can p-branes predict?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the grandfather paradox?
2. What does Hawking believe black holes radiate?
3. What did the physicist John Wheeler mean when he said, "a black hole has no hair"?
4. What is the Schrodinger equation?
5. What does it mean for Hawking to think one can "move" positive vacuum energy?
6. What are three of the things Hawking declares have increased exponentially, doubling every forty years of less?
7. How does Hawking begin Chapter Four?
8. What did Strominger and Vafa postulate in 1996?
9. What partially restores determinism and why?
10. What final thought does Hawking have about Star Trek and humanity, in the closing of Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hawking discusses the concept of brane worlds at length. Since brane worlds are a very difficult and far-reaching topic, write an essay that seeks to succinctly summarize the concept of brane worlds and their relationship with humans.
Essay Topic 2
Expound on Einstein's involvement, direct or indirect, in WWII. Be sure to discuss the relationship between scientific discovery and practical use. Analyze The Manhattan Project as an example of science and its utilization.
Essay Topic 3
Why is popular culture so enthralled by the relationship between mechanical devices and humans? Write an essay that seeks to explore the similarities and differences between computers and humans and why this either concerns or excites us.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)