|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of energy density might an advanced civilization be able to create?
2. What final state does Hawking wonder if humanity will ever reach?
3. According to Hawking, what lies ahead in the future if no great disaster occurs?
4. What equation will be able to determine the wave function for information?
5. What kind of advanced development does Hawking predict for humanity?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hawking begin Chapter Four?
2. How do cosmic strings relate to space-time?
3. What does Hawking claim might happen if children could gestate outside the womb?
4. What does Hawking think he can prove about space-time paths?
5. What does Hawking think about the possible technological level of extraterrestrials?
6. What does Hawking believe black holes radiate?
7. What is the grandfather paradox?
8. What partially restores determinism and why?
9. What are wormholes?
10. What is a time travel "horizon"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are zero point fluctuations and what serious effects do they have on the quantum theory of gravity? Be sure to discuss Feynman, Schwinger and Tomonaga's work with zero point fluctuations.
Essay Topic 2
Hawking's extensive research of black holes has provided us with informative clues for how black holes might actually work. Write an essay that uses Hawking's research to formulate a summary of our knowledge of black holes before and after Hawking's scientific work.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter Five provides a complex picture of the interconnections between space-time, the multiple history idea, and quantum theory. Write an essay that analyzes the relationship between these three concepts, and use at least two examples from Chapter Five that support your argument.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)