|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did physicists respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
2. What does general relativity combine time with space to form?
3. If there is a low amount of matter in the universe what will happen?
4. What is one of the twentieth century's greatest discoveries?
5. What theories implied that supersymmetric field particles should have superpartners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What paper did Einstein write with Grossman in 1913 and what happened in 1915 related to this same project?
2. What is the no boundary condition, and what does it imply?
3. What is Hawking's view about mathematical models?
4. What was the bedrock of relativity theory, and what did it imply?
5. What kind of history might the universe have, according to quantum mechanics?
6. What did Einstein do in 1905 that launched him to the top of the scientific community?
7. What was the "ether" theory?
8. What is considered to be expanding in our universe, and why does Hawking think this is beneficial?
9. Why does the theory of general relativity break down when discussing the Big Bang?
10. Why can't we coherently ask why the universe is the way it is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hawking discusses the concept of brane worlds at length. Since brane worlds are a very difficult and far-reaching topic, write an essay that seeks to succinctly summarize the concept of brane worlds and their relationship with humans.
Essay Topic 2
Why is popular culture so enthralled by the relationship between mechanical devices and humans? Write an essay that seeks to explore the similarities and differences between computers and humans and why this either concerns or excites us.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the history of the theory of curved spaces. What is this theory's relationship to the idea of space-time? Cite two examples from Chapter One that identify key participants, events, or ideas related to this topic.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)