|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Newton's model suggest about time and space?
2. What is vacuum energy's force inverse to?
3. What do models based on imaginary time make?
4. What did Penrose and Hawking demonstrate concerning General Relativity?
5. What does Hawking think is beneficial concerning matter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe imaginary time.
2. Why can't we coherently ask why the universe is the way it is?
3. Why does the theory of general relativity break down when discussing the Big Bang?
4. What is hard to reconcile with Dirac's discoveries in quantum mechanics?
5. What new sort of symmetry was discovered in the 1970s?
6. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
7. What is vacuum energy?
8. What is Hawking's view about mathematical models?
9. What is a p = 1 brane and a p = 2 brane?
10. What was the "ether" theory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Chapter Seven as an informative text, write an essay on WIMPs. Be sure to properly define WIMPs, discuss their relationship with potential shadow brane worlds, and also analyze the lack of gamma radiation coming from black holes.
Essay Topic 2
Why is popular culture so enthralled by the relationship between mechanical devices and humans? Write an essay that seeks to explore the similarities and differences between computers and humans and why this either concerns or excites us.
Essay Topic 3
What are zero point fluctuations and what serious effects do they have on the quantum theory of gravity? Be sure to discuss Feynman, Schwinger and Tomonaga's work with zero point fluctuations.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)