|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does time not have apart from the universe?
2. What does Hawking believe we should try to understand?
3. Which project produced Fat Man and Little Boy?
4. What have serious effects on a quantum theory of gravity?
5. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is vacuum energy?
2. What was the "ether" theory?
3. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
4. What idea about the galaxies did Einstein never take seriously?
5. What is a p = 1 brane and a p = 2 brane?
6. What did Einstein do in 1905 that launched him to the top of the scientific community?
7. What is space-time?
8. What paper did Einstein write with Grossman in 1913 and what happened in 1915 related to this same project?
9. Why can't we coherently ask why the universe is the way it is?
10. Describe imaginary time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is popular culture so enthralled by the relationship between mechanical devices and humans? Write an essay that seeks to explore the similarities and differences between computers and humans and why this either concerns or excites us.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the history of the equation E = mc2. What is the significance of this equation? Be sure to include a description of the following terms: energy, mass, relativity, and the speed of light.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ether theory. Explain why this theory fell apart and what Einstein's role was in its deconstruction. Be sure to include at least two reasons the ether theory became redundant and unnecessary.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)