|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Einstein encourage to begin nuclear research?
2. What may imaginary time surfaces actually be?
3. What were Fat Man and Little Boy dropped on in 1945?
4. What two things are considered capable of shaping space-time, according to Einstein?
5. What does time have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hawking think about the possible technological level of extraterrestrials?
2. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
3. What is the Planck length so far as we know?
4. What does much of the possibility of time travel depend upon?
5. What was considered the foundation of a TOE and why did it go out of fashion?
6. How does Hawking begin Chapter Four?
7. What might p-branes be able to predict?
8. How many books are published a year, and what does Hawking have to say about the good ones?
9. What is Hawking's view about mathematical models?
10. How do cosmic strings relate to space-time?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the ether theory. Explain why this theory fell apart and what Einstein's role was in its deconstruction. Be sure to include at least two reasons the ether theory became redundant and unnecessary.
Essay Topic 2
What are p-branes? What are the different levels of branes? What is the role of p-branes in supersymmetry? Answer the previous questions succinctly and be sure to explore Hawking's contributions to this field of study.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter Five provides a complex picture of the interconnections between space-time, the multiple history idea, and quantum theory. Write an essay that analyzes the relationship between these three concepts, and use at least two examples from Chapter Five that support your argument.
This section contains 1,441 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)