|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were strings regarded as insufficient?
2. Whom did Einstein later marry after his first marriage fell apart?
3. What may the universe not have, given quantum mechanics?
4. What does time have?
5. Where did Einstein move in 1914?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of history might the universe have, according to quantum mechanics?
2. What does the E = mc2 equation show?
3. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings' existence depends on?
4. Describe imaginary time.
5. What new sort of symmetry was discovered in the 1970s?
6. What is vacuum energy?
7. What is considered to be expanding in our universe, and why does Hawking think this is beneficial?
8. What was the "ether" theory?
9. How did the general relativity theory break down?
10. Describe the contradiction of relativity to Newton's law of gravity.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using Chapter One as an informative text, write an essay on the early life of Albert Einstein. This essay must mark three important events of Einstein's life from 1879 to 1905. Be sure to elaborate on how these three details are connected to Einstein's future involvement in the scientific community.
Essay Topic 2
Why is popular culture so enthralled by the relationship between mechanical devices and humans? Write an essay that seeks to explore the similarities and differences between computers and humans and why this either concerns or excites us.
Essay Topic 3
Using Chapter Seven as an informative text, write an essay on WIMPs. Be sure to properly define WIMPs, discuss their relationship with potential shadow brane worlds, and also analyze the lack of gamma radiation coming from black holes.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)