Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Einstein encourage to begin nuclear research?
2. What may imaginary time surfaces actually be?
3. What were Fat Man and Little Boy dropped on in 1945?
4. What two things are considered capable of shaping space-time, according to Einstein?
5. What does time have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hawking think about the possible technological level of extraterrestrials?
2. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
3. What is the Planck length so far as we know?
4. What does much of the possibility of time travel depend upon?
5. What was considered the foundation of a TOE and why did it go out of fashion?
6. How does Hawking begin Chapter Four?
7. What might p-branes be able to predict?
8. How many books are published a year, and what does Hawking have to say about the good ones?
9. What is Hawking's view about mathematical models?
10. How do cosmic strings relate to space-time?
Hawking's extensive research of black holes has provided us with informative clues for how black holes might actually work. Write an essay that uses Hawking's research to formulate a summary of our knowledge of black holes before and after Hawking's scientific work.
Using Chapter Seven as an informative text, write an essay on WIMPs. Be sure to properly define WIMPs, discuss their relationship with potential shadow brane worlds, and also analyze the lack of gamma radiation coming from black holes.
What are zero point fluctuations and what serious effects do they have on the quantum theory of gravity? Be sure to discuss Feynman, Schwinger and Tomonaga's work with zero point fluctuations.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)