Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Einstein encourage to begin nuclear research?
2. What may imaginary time surfaces actually be?
3. What were Fat Man and Little Boy dropped on in 1945?
4. What two things are considered capable of shaping space-time, according to Einstein?
5. What does time have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hawking think about the possible technological level of extraterrestrials?
2. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
3. What is the Planck length so far as we know?
4. What does much of the possibility of time travel depend upon?
5. What was considered the foundation of a TOE and why did it go out of fashion?
6. How does Hawking begin Chapter Four?
7. What might p-branes be able to predict?
8. How many books are published a year, and what does Hawking have to say about the good ones?
9. What is Hawking's view about mathematical models?
10. How do cosmic strings relate to space-time?
Essay Topic 1
Define and describe supersymmetry and its implications on space-time. Cite two examples from Chapter Two that identify important players in the idea's inception or in its repercussions and consequences on modern scientific thought.
Essay Topic 2
Why is popular culture so enthralled by the relationship between mechanical devices and humans? Write an essay that seeks to explore the similarities and differences between computers and humans and why this either concerns or excites us.
Essay Topic 3
Hawking's extensive research of black holes has provided us with informative clues for how black holes might actually work. Write an essay that uses Hawking's research to formulate a summary of our knowledge of black holes before and after Hawking's scientific work.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)