Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Einstein encourage to begin nuclear research?
2. What may imaginary time surfaces actually be?
3. What were Fat Man and Little Boy dropped on in 1945?
4. What two things are considered capable of shaping space-time, according to Einstein?
5. What does time have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hawking think about the possible technological level of extraterrestrials?
2. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
3. What is the Planck length so far as we know?
4. What does much of the possibility of time travel depend upon?
5. What was considered the foundation of a TOE and why did it go out of fashion?
6. How does Hawking begin Chapter Four?
7. What might p-branes be able to predict?
8. How many books are published a year, and what does Hawking have to say about the good ones?
9. What is Hawking's view about mathematical models?
10. How do cosmic strings relate to space-time?
Write an essay that answers the following questions: What is M-theory? What is its relationship to various string models? What does Hawking believe about M-theory? The essay must include at least two supporting evidences from the book, and one example from an outside text.
Hawking uses the word "deterministic" quite a bit in Chapter Four. Identify what determinism means in this context, and how it relates to the universe. Then, summarize and analyze the controversy over whether or not the universe is deterministic and what this might entail.
Define and describe supersymmetry and its implications on space-time. Cite two examples from Chapter Two that identify important players in the idea's inception or in its repercussions and consequences on modern scientific thought.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)