|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believed they could interpret General Relativity so time had an infinite past and an infinite future?
2. What did Hubble find about collections of stars?
3. What can we not coherently ask about the way the universe is?
4. How do objects in space-time attempt to move?
5. What can one not curve space without also curving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hawking think about the possible technological level of extraterrestrials?
2. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings' existence depends on?
3. What will happen as brains increase in size?
4. What does Heisenberg predict about the shape of brane worlds?
5. What idea about the galaxies did Einstein never take seriously?
6. Briefly describe Einstein's involvement in the events of WWII.
7. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
8. How do cosmic strings relate to space-time?
9. What is a time travel "horizon"?
10. What forces will be limited to branes and what force might permeate all of space-time?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the history of the theory of curved spaces. What is this theory's relationship to the idea of space-time? Cite two examples from Chapter One that identify key participants, events, or ideas related to this topic.
Essay Topic 2
Expound on Einstein's involvement, direct or indirect, in WWII. Be sure to discuss the relationship between scientific discovery and practical use. Analyze The Manhattan Project as an example of science and its utilization.
Essay Topic 3
Hawking's formulation of the Chronology Projection Conjecture is an important topic in Chapter Five. Write an essay that summarizes what the Chronology Projection Conjecture is, how it was formulated, and what its function is now.
This section contains 1,462 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)