|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did this theory of curved spaces help Einstein and Marcel Grossman to do?
2. What did Einstein suggest concerning the speed of light?
3. What can we not coherently ask about the way the universe is?
4. What is vacuum energy's force inverse to?
5. What may the universe not have, given quantum mechanics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do ground state fluctuations have serious effects on the quantum theory of gravity?
2. What is hard to reconcile with Dirac's discoveries in quantum mechanics?
3. What does the E = mc2 equation show?
4. Describe the contradiction of relativity to Newton's law of gravity.
5. What paper did Einstein write with Grossman in 1913 and what happened in 1915 related to this same project?
6. What is space-time?
7. What did Penrose and Hawking's theory have to say about the universe's history?
8. What is considered to be expanding in our universe, and why does Hawking think this is beneficial?
9. What kind of history might the universe have, according to quantum mechanics?
10. What new sort of symmetry was discovered in the 1970s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter Five provides a complex picture of the interconnections between space-time, the multiple history idea, and quantum theory. Write an essay that analyzes the relationship between these three concepts, and use at least two examples from Chapter Five that support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Hawking's extensive research of black holes has provided us with informative clues for how black holes might actually work. Write an essay that uses Hawking's research to formulate a summary of our knowledge of black holes before and after Hawking's scientific work.
Essay Topic 3
Using Chapter One as an informative text, write an essay on the early life of Albert Einstein. This essay must mark three important events of Einstein's life from 1879 to 1905. Be sure to elaborate on how these three details are connected to Einstein's future involvement in the scientific community.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)