|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Strominger and Vafa postulate in 1996?
(a) That black holes are composed of f-branes.
(b) That black holes are empty.
(c) That black holes house new worlds.
(d) That black holes are composed of p-branes.
2. How could time travel be possible?
(a) If speed was inverse to time.
(b) If wormholes existed.
(c) If circular reasoning existed.
(d) If time travel loops existed.
3. What kind of explanation does Hawking give for how it might be possible to travel through time?
(a) Blanket statement.
4. What kind of philosophy do black holes have?
(a) A present philosophy.
(b) An escape philosophy.
(c) A mature philosophy.
(d) A contemporary philosophy.
5. What can p-branes absorb?
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Hawking ask about extraterrestrials?
2. In what realm of physics is it important to consider the Schrodinger equation?
3. What outline of cosmic strings is flat?
4. Where does one set of possibilities lie in relation to using the laws of physics to explore the galaxy?
5. What laws might allow space-time to warp to allow a spaceship to travel through the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. What final thought does Hawking have about Star Trek and humanity, in the closing of Chapter 6?
2. What is the Schrodinger equation?
3. What are three of the things Hawking declares have increased exponentially, doubling every forty years of less?
4. What might happen if we do not destroy ourselves?
5. What is the grandfather paradox?
6. What will happen as brains increase in size?
7. What did the physicist John Wheeler mean when he said, "a black hole has no hair"?
8. What does Hawking claim might happen if children could gestate outside the womb?
9. What does Hawking think he can prove about space-time paths?
10. What is the main question concerning space-time, if one avoids philosophical discussion and focuses on the laws of physics?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)