|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hawking think one can do to positive vacuum energy?
(a) Ration it.
(b) Divide it.
(c) Move it.
(d) Square it.
2. What does Hawking say extraterrestrials might be like?
(a) Easy to get along with.
(b) Very primitive or very advanced.
(c) Not very bright.
(d) Like humans.
3. What outline of cosmic strings is flat?
(a) Wave outline.
(b) Atomic outline.
(c) Spatial outline.
(d) Space-time outline.
4. What kind of probability must this universe generate to produce a macroscopic time loop?
(a) A low enough probability.
(b) A high enough probability.
(c) A functional probability.
(d) A no boundary probability.
5. How can one find black holes?
(a) By seeking out the matter that revolves around finite space.
(b) By seeking out the matter that orbits around a visible object.
(c) By finding matter that orbits around a seemingly invisible object.
(d) By finding the mass of everything invisible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hawking think black holes radiate?
2. What is the name of Hawking's conjecture about the laws of physics and macroscopic time travel?
3. How does Hawking describe exploring the galaxy?
4. What is a practical limit on the design of faster computers?
5. Name two things that are doubling every forty years.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do cosmic strings relate to space-time?
2. At what rate is the computational power of computers increasing, and what computational rate might they actually reach?
3. What is the main question concerning space-time, if one avoids philosophical discussion and focuses on the laws of physics?
4. What did Strominger and Vafa postulate in 1996?
5. What are three of the things Hawking declares have increased exponentially, doubling every forty years of less?
6. What is the Schrodinger equation?
7. How does Hawking begin Chapter Four?
8. What does Hawking believe black holes radiate?
9. What does much of the possibility of time travel depend upon?
10. What is the grandfather paradox?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)