|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What paradox does time travel generate?
(a) The snooze button paradox.
(b) The light year paradox.
(c) The grandmother paradox.
(d) The grandfather paradox.
2. What kind of fluctuations do we have to consider to answer whether or not time travel is possible?
(a) Spacetime fluctuations.
(b) Quantum fluctuations.
(c) Spatial fluctuations.
(d) Geological fluctuations.
3. What does Hawking explain particles do not have?
(a) Molecular shapes.
(b) Round-bodied physics.
(c) Easily-shaped positions.
(d) Well-defined positions or velocities.
4. What kind of probability must this universe generate to produce a macroscopic time loop?
(a) A functional probability.
(b) A high enough probability.
(c) A no boundary probability.
(d) A low enough probability.
5. In what realm of physics is it important to consider the Schrodinger equation?
(a) Contemporary theoretical physics.
(b) General theoretical physics.
(c) Special theoretical physics.
(d) Medical theoretical physics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is determinism threatened by?
2. How many books a year are estimated to be published?
3. When particles hit p-branes, what are produced?
4. Where does one set of possibilities lie in relation to using the laws of physics to explore the galaxy?
5. What would happen if energy escaped the black hole over time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hawking think about the possible technological level of extraterrestrials?
2. What does Hawking believe black holes radiate?
3. How do cosmic strings relate to space-time?
4. What might p-branes be able to predict?
5. How many books are published a year, and what does Hawking have to say about the good ones?
6. What final thought does Hawking have about Star Trek and humanity, in the closing of Chapter 6?
7. What does it mean for Hawking to think one can "move" positive vacuum energy?
8. What is the Schrodinger equation?
9. What partially restores determinism and why?
10. How does Hawking begin Chapter Four?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)