|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What paradox does time travel generate?
(a) The grandmother paradox.
(b) The light year paradox.
(c) The snooze button paradox.
(d) The grandfather paradox.
2. How can half-determinism be preserved in relation to black holes?
(a) If subatomic travel is curved.
(b) If Einstein's theory of general relativity is true.
(c) If space-time is directed by Planck lengths.
(d) If Strominger and Vafa's 1996 postulation is true.
3. What are cosmic strings?
(a) Sections of space divided into tiny lines.
(b) Planes with narrowly etched furrows.
(c) Objects with length but tiny cross sections.
(d) Points between which waves connect.
4. What did Strominger and Vafa postulate in 1996?
(a) That black holes house new worlds.
(b) That black holes are composed of p-branes.
(c) That black holes are composed of f-branes.
(d) That black holes are empty.
5. What are wormholes?
(a) Molecules of open space.
(b) Tubes of spacetime that connect different regions of space and time.
(c) Holes between which space and time travel.
(d) Units of spacetime that connect similar regions of space and time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What laws might allow space-time to warp to allow a spaceship to travel through the past?
2. What made DNA obsolete as the only source of information about humans?
3. What does Hawking explain particles do not have?
4. In what realm of physics is it important to consider the Schrodinger equation?
5. What do the Schrodinger equations assume?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will happen as brains increase in size?
2. What does Hawking claim might happen if children could gestate outside the womb?
3. How would black hole radiation occur?
4. What are three of the things Hawking declares have increased exponentially, doubling every forty years of less?
5. What does Hawking believe black holes radiate?
6. What does it mean for Hawking to think one can "move" positive vacuum energy?
7. What did Strominger and Vafa postulate in 1996?
8. What is the Schrodinger equation?
9. What did the physicist John Wheeler mean when he said, "a black hole has no hair"?
10. How many books are published a year, and what does Hawking have to say about the good ones?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)