|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of explanation does Hawking give for how it might be possible to travel through time?
(c) Blanket statement.
2. What can p-branes predict?
(a) The rates of consumption that the real-particle pair indicates.
(b) The rates of emission that the molecules emit.
(c) The rates of condensation that the virtual-particle trio indicates.
(d) The rates of emission that the virtual-particle pair indicates.
3. What popular sci-fi show does Hawking refer to when discussing its differences with humanity in a millennium?
(a) Star Trek.
(b) Star Wars.
(d) Doctor Who.
4. What would a civilization have to do to build a time machine?
(a) Create a new cosmos.
(b) Preclude the time travel paradox.
(c) Generate enough heat to fuel the time machine's engines.
(d) Surpass a time travel "horizon."
5. What does Hawking compare to brains in the complexity versus speed trade-off?
(a) Underground wires.
(b) Malfunctioning circuit boards.
(c) Sonic waves.
(d) Electronic circuits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do black holes absorb?
2. What are the size of biological brains limited by?
3. What does the Schrodinger equation specify?
4. How do most discussions of time travel begin?
5. What famous quote is attributed to physicist John Wheeler?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the physicist John Wheeler mean when he said, "a black hole has no hair"?
2. How does Hawking begin Chapter Four?
3. What are three of the things Hawking declares have increased exponentially, doubling every forty years of less?
4. What did Strominger and Vafa postulate in 1996?
5. What is the Schrodinger equation?
6. What does it mean for Hawking to think one can "move" positive vacuum energy?
7. What does Hawking claim might happen if children could gestate outside the womb?
8. What is the main question concerning space-time, if one avoids philosophical discussion and focuses on the laws of physics?
9. What might p-branes be able to predict?
10. What does Hawking believe black holes radiate?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)