|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hawking compare to brains in the complexity versus speed trade-off?
(a) Electronic circuits.
(b) Malfunctioning circuit boards.
(c) Underground wires.
(d) Sonic waves.
2. How is the following quote finished: "The human race needs to improve its mental and physical qualities to deal with an...?"
(a) Increasingly complex world.
(b) Interesting and diversive world.
(c) Increasingly simple world.
(d) Intuitive and diverse world.
3. How can half-determinism be preserved in relation to black holes?
(a) If Einstein's theory of general relativity is true.
(b) If space-time is directed by Planck lengths.
(c) If Strominger and Vafa's 1996 postulation is true.
(d) If subatomic travel is curved.
4. What do the Schrodinger equations assume?
(a) That motion is inverse to acceleration.
(b) That speed is a constant.
(c) That force is a product of gravity.
(d) That time runs smoothly everywhere.
5. How does Hawking describe himself?
(a) A negativist.
(b) A relationist.
(c) An optimist.
(d) A positivist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could time travel be possible?
2. For nearly all of history, what has moved forward?
3. What is a practical limit on the design of faster computers?
4. What does much of the possibility of time travel depend on?
5. What kind of fluctuations do we have to consider to answer whether or not time travel is possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are wormholes?
2. What is the Schrodinger equation?
3. What does Hawking think he can prove about space-time paths?
4. How many books are published a year, and what does Hawking have to say about the good ones?
5. What is the main question concerning space-time, if one avoids philosophical discussion and focuses on the laws of physics?
6. What did Strominger and Vafa postulate in 1996?
7. What is a time travel "horizon"?
8. What might p-branes be able to predict?
9. What does Hawking claim might happen if children could gestate outside the womb?
10. What is the grandfather paradox?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)