|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What may the universe not have, given quantum mechanics?
(a) Infinite knowledge.
(b) A beginning and an ending.
(c) A single history or every possible history.
(d) Five histories.
2. By what year was Einstein famous?
3. What did Einstein assume about scientific laws?
(a) Laws should remain constant in the view of all observers.
(b) Laws are never fallible.
(c) Most laws need to be rewritten.
(d) Laws are always fallible.
4. What sort of lengths do P-branes have?
(a) Vertical lengths.
(b) Horizonal lengths.
(c) Circular lengths.
(d) Directional lengths.
5. What does time have?
(a) A being.
(b) A mark.
(c) A presence.
(d) A shape.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can quantum theory represent?
2. Because of the curvature of space-time, how do paths appear to bend?
3. What did Einstein suggest concerning the speed of light?
4. Who were unconvinced by the ideas of an infinite past and future?
5. What is thought to expand at an accelerating rate in our universe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changed about the way we view zero point fluctuations in the 1940s?
2. What was the "ether" theory?
3. What is considered to be expanding in our universe, and why does Hawking think this is beneficial?
4. What paper did Einstein write with Grossman in 1913 and what happened in 1915 related to this same project?
5. What did Einstein do in 1905 that launched him to the top of the scientific community?
6. Who worked on quantum mechanics in the 1920s, and what discovery was made?
7. What is hard to reconcile with Dirac's discoveries in quantum mechanics?
8. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
9. What was considered the foundation of a TOE and why did it go out of fashion?
10. What is a p = 1 brane and a p = 2 brane?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)