|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Einstein suggest concerning the speed of light?
(a) Light is independent of time.
(b) Light is dependent on motion.
(c) Light is independent of motion.
(d) Light is dependent on time.
2. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
(a) Popper's theory of demystification.
(b) Maxwell's unification of magnetism, energy, and electricity.
(c) Hawking's harangue on black hole theory.
(d) Newton's law of gravity.
3. What is intuitive to think about the "ground state" or stationary state of an object?
(a) This object would have two energies.
(b) This object would have multiple energies.
(c) This object would have zero energy.
(d) This object would thrive in a black hole.
4. What is a p = 2 brane?
(a) A surface.
(b) A geometrical unit.
(c) A ladder.
(d) A wall.
5. What does Hawking think is beneficial concerning matter?
(a) Matter is converted into energy from periscopal fields.
(b) Mass is converted into matter from gravitational fields.
(c) Energy is converted into matter from gravitational fields.
(d) Matter is converted into weight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings depends on?
2. What do string theories most notably lack?
3. What were Fat Man and Little Boy dropped on in 1945?
4. What can one not curve space without also curving?
5. What may the universe not have, given quantum mechanics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three of the things Hawking declares have increased exponentially, doubling every forty years of less?
2. What does Heisenberg predict about the shape of brane worlds?
3. What is the Schrodinger equation?
4. What forces will be limited to branes and what force might permeate all of space-time?
5. What kind of history might the universe have, according to quantum mechanics?
6. What is the grandfather paradox?
7. What did Penrose and Hawking's theory have to say about the universe's history?
8. What does it mean for Hawking to think one can "move" positive vacuum energy?
9. What final thought does Hawking have about Star Trek and humanity, in the closing of Chapter 6?
10. What was considered the foundation of a TOE and why did it go out of fashion?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)