|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which project produced Fat Man and Little Boy?
(a) The Chicago Project.
(b) The Manhattan Project.
(c) The Brooklyn Project.
(d) The Farside Project.
2. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of scientific laws.
(b) In terms of philosophy.
(c) In terms of scientific arguments.
(d) In terms of religious theories.
3. Because of the curvature of space-time, how do paths appear to bend?
(a) As if moved by magnets.
(b) As if moved by a field.
(c) As if moved by gravity.
(d) As if moved by a plane.
4. How did the universe initially expand?
(a) Fully and then not at all.
(b) Increasingly quick.
(c) Markedly slow.
(d) Rapidly and then more slowly.
5. What do string theories most notably lack?
Short Answer Questions
1. What may be a law of nature?
2. How many articles did Einstein pen that rocketed him to the top of the scientific community?
3. What two things are considered capable of shaping space-time, according to Einstein?
4. What can Einstein's General Relativity be combined with?
5. What did Einstein wish people to abandon concerning time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are wormholes?
2. What did Penrose and Hawking's theory have to say about the universe's history?
3. What is vacuum energy?
4. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
5. What does Hawking claim might happen if children could gestate outside the womb?
6. What is Hawking's view about mathematical models?
7. What forces will be limited to branes and what force might permeate all of space-time?
8. Why does the theory of general relativity break down when discussing the Big Bang?
9. Who worked on quantum mechanics in the 1920s, and what discovery was made?
10. What final thought does Hawking have about Star Trek and humanity, in the closing of Chapter 6?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)