|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of scientific laws.
(b) In terms of religious theories.
(c) In terms of philosophy.
(d) In terms of scientific arguments.
2. Which project produced Fat Man and Little Boy?
(a) The Farside Project.
(b) The Chicago Project.
(c) The Manhattan Project.
(d) The Brooklyn Project.
3. Where did Einstein accept a position?
(a) The German Academy of Science.
(b) The Italian Academy of Science.
(c) The American Academy of Science.
(d) The Prussian Academy of Science.
4. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
(a) Popper's theory of demystification.
(b) Hawking's harangue on black hole theory.
(c) Newton's law of gravity.
(d) Maxwell's unification of magnetism, energy, and electricity.
5. What is intuitive to think about the "ground state" or stationary state of an object?
(a) This object would have zero energy.
(b) This object would thrive in a black hole.
(c) This object would have multiple energies.
(d) This object would have two energies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does TOE stand for?
2. What may be a law of nature?
3. How many galaxies are there?
4. What can one not curve space without also curving?
5. What is one reason Hawking takes multiple dimensions seriously?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
2. What kind of history might the universe have, according to quantum mechanics?
3. Why does the theory of general relativity break down when discussing the Big Bang?
4. Describe imaginary time.
5. What new sort of symmetry was discovered in the 1970s?
6. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings' existence depends on?
7. What is vacuum energy?
8. What paper did Einstein write with Grossman in 1913 and what happened in 1915 related to this same project?
9. What was considered the foundation of a TOE and why did it go out of fashion?
10. What is space-time?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)