|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
(a) Newton's law of gravity.
(b) Maxwell's unification of magnetism, energy, and electricity.
(c) Popper's theory of demystification.
(d) Hawking's harangue on black hole theory.
2. Because of the curvature of space-time, how do paths appear to bend?
(a) As if moved by a field.
(b) As if moved by gravity.
(c) As if moved by a plane.
(d) As if moved by magnets.
3. What does general relativity combine time with space to form?
(a) Five-dimensional warp speed.
(b) Three-dimensional physics.
(c) Four-dimensional space-time.
(d) Two-dimensional planes.
4. What theories of relativity did Einstein advance?
(a) Present perfect and past special.
(b) Special and general.
(c) General and perfect.
(d) Normal and placid.
5. How were people's views of space-time changed because of Einstein's work?
(a) Space-time became understood as a dynamic feature.
(b) No one's idea of space-time was changed.
(c) Space-time became understood as a passive feature.
(d) Space-time became irrelevant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was everywhere when the universe was small?
2. What did this theory of curved spaces help Einstein and Marcel Grossman to do?
3. What is a p = 2 brane?
4. If there is a low amount of matter in the universe what will happen?
5. What did Newton's model suggest about time and space?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea about the galaxies did Einstein never take seriously?
2. What is a p = 1 brane and a p = 2 brane?
3. What is hard to reconcile with Dirac's discoveries in quantum mechanics?
4. What is considered to be expanding in our universe, and why does Hawking think this is beneficial?
5. Describe the contradiction of relativity to Newton's law of gravity.
6. What is the no boundary condition, and what does it imply?
7. What is space-time?
8. Briefly describe Einstein's involvement in the events of WWII.
9. What is Hawking's view about mathematical models?
10. What was the "ether" theory?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)