|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did physicists respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
(a) They were delighted.
(b) They were insanely horrified.
(c) They disliked the idea.
(d) They were mystified.
2. What was everywhere when the universe was small?
(a) Molecular effects.
(b) Particle effects.
(c) Quantum effects.
(d) Atomic effects.
3. How were people's views of space-time changed because of Einstein's work?
(a) Space-time became irrelevant.
(b) No one's idea of space-time was changed.
(c) Space-time became understood as a passive feature.
(d) Space-time became understood as a dynamic feature.
4. What does relativity show about the speed of light?
(a) The speed of light is dependent upon gravity.
(b) The speed of light is independent of will.
(c) The speed of light will appear constant.
(d) The speed of light is an illusion of motion.
5. What did nineteenth century scientists believe space was pervaded by?
Short Answer Questions
1. What have serious effects on a quantum theory of gravity?
2. What did the philosopher Immanuel Kant worry about concerning time and Newton's model?
3. What was the twentieth century's other complete conceptual revolution?
4. Because of the curvature of space-time, how do paths appear to bend?
5. When was Einstein born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the theory of general relativity break down when discussing the Big Bang?
2. What kind of history might the universe have, according to quantum mechanics?
3. How might we able to figure out if humans live on a brane?
4. How many books are published a year, and what does Hawking have to say about the good ones?
5. What was the "ether" theory?
6. What is the grandfather paradox?
7. What did the physicist John Wheeler mean when he said, "a black hole has no hair"?
8. What idea about the galaxies did Einstein never take seriously?
9. What is the main question concerning space-time, if one avoids philosophical discussion and focuses on the laws of physics?
10. How did the general relativity theory break down?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)