|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do objects in space-time attempt to move?
(a) In straight lines.
(b) In boxes.
(c) In loops.
(d) In curves.
2. Who produced the theory about curved spaces?
(a) Harvey Dent.
(b) Georg Reimann.
(c) George Markowitz.
(d) Professor Marx.
3. What may the no boundary condition imply?
(a) The universe can never be contained.
(b) The universe is self-contained.
(c) The universe will collapse if it cannot be condensed.
(d) The universe is self-conducted.
4. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of philosophy.
(b) In terms of religious theories.
(c) In terms of scientific laws.
(d) In terms of scientific arguments.
5. What did Einstein assume about scientific laws?
(a) Laws should remain constant in the view of all observers.
(b) Laws are never fallible.
(c) Laws are always fallible.
(d) Most laws need to be rewritten.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theory of Einstein's contradicted Newton's law of gravity?
2. What may be a law of nature?
3. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
4. Who did Einstein encourage to begin nuclear research?
5. How did the universe initially expand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new sort of symmetry was discovered in the 1970s?
2. What did Einstein do in 1905 that launched him to the top of the scientific community?
3. What paper did Einstein write with Grossman in 1913 and what happened in 1915 related to this same project?
4. What was considered the foundation of a TOE and why did it go out of fashion?
5. What is considered to be expanding in our universe, and why does Hawking think this is beneficial?
6. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
7. What was the bedrock of relativity theory, and what did it imply?
8. What idea about the galaxies did Einstein never take seriously?
9. Describe the contradiction of relativity to Newton's law of gravity.
10. Who worked on quantum mechanics in the 1920s, and what discovery was made?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)