|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What may imaginary time surfaces actually be?
(a) Closed lines.
(b) Closed surfaces.
(c) Curved surfaces.
(d) Open planes.
2. What is intuitive to think about the "ground state" or stationary state of an object?
(a) This object would have multiple energies.
(b) This object would thrive in a black hole.
(c) This object would have two energies.
(d) This object would have zero energy.
3. How many articles did Einstein pen that rocketed him to the top of the scientific community?
4. What does time not have apart from the universe?
(a) Independent meaning.
(b) Illegitimate significance.
(c) Dependent meaning.
(d) Futuristic tendencies.
5. What is a p = 1 brane?
(a) A cone.
(b) A string.
(c) A box.
(d) A plane.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were people's views of space-time changed because of Einstein's work?
2. Where did Einstein move in 1914?
3. How did religious leaders respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
4. Why is it important that the sky is dark?
5. What theories of relativity did Einstein advance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly describe Einstein's involvement in the events of WWII.
2. Describe imaginary time.
3. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
4. What is hard to reconcile with Dirac's discoveries in quantum mechanics?
5. How did the general relativity theory break down?
6. Why do ground state fluctuations have serious effects on the quantum theory of gravity?
7. What idea about the galaxies did Einstein never take seriously?
8. What is vacuum energy?
9. What was the bedrock of relativity theory, and what did it imply?
10. What is considered to be expanding in our universe, and why does Hawking think this is beneficial?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)