|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is thought to expand at an accelerating rate in our universe?
2. What have serious effects on a quantum theory of gravity?
(a) Second state fluctuations.
(b) Third state fluctuations.
(c) Fourth state fluctuations.
(d) Ground state fluctuations.
3. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of scientific arguments.
(b) In terms of religious theories.
(c) In terms of scientific laws.
(d) In terms of philosophy.
4. How many articles did Einstein pen that rocketed him to the top of the scientific community?
5. What does Hawking resist believing in?
(a) Extra dimensions.
(b) One dimension.
(c) Never-ending dimensions.
(d) Ten dimensions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What human conceptions did Einstein's papers change?
2. What may the universe not have, given quantum mechanics?
3. What does supersymmetry imply?
4. What did one of Einstein's mathematical errors prevent Marcel and Einstein from doing?
5. Where did Einstein receive his degree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea about the galaxies did Einstein never take seriously?
2. What is considered to be expanding in our universe, and why does Hawking think this is beneficial?
3. What was considered the foundation of a TOE and why did it go out of fashion?
4. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings' existence depends on?
5. Who worked on quantum mechanics in the 1920s, and what discovery was made?
6. Describe the contradiction of relativity to Newton's law of gravity.
7. Briefly describe Einstein's involvement in the events of WWII.
8. What did Penrose and Hawking's theory have to say about the universe's history?
9. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
10. What changed about the way we view zero point fluctuations in the 1940s?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)