|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the twentieth century's other complete conceptual revolution?
(a) Molecular biology.
(b) Molecular physics.
(c) Quantum geology.
(d) Quantum theory.
2. What did Einstein resist to admit that general relativity implied if all the stars died?
(a) The universe would collapse and recreate itself.
(b) The universe would never die.
(c) The universe would never have existed.
(d) The universe would come to an end.
3. What does general relativity combine time with space to form?
(a) Five-dimensional warp speed.
(b) Three-dimensional physics.
(c) Four-dimensional space-time.
(d) Two-dimensional planes.
4. What does Hawking believe we should try to understand?
(a) All philosophy.
(b) Market theory.
(c) The universe.
(d) Gravitational spin.
5. What does time not have apart from the universe?
(a) Independent meaning.
(b) Illegitimate significance.
(c) Futuristic tendencies.
(d) Dependent meaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did religious leaders respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
2. What does Hawking believe any good scientific theory should be rooted in?
3. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings depends on?
4. What is one reason Hawking takes multiple dimensions seriously?
5. If there is a low amount of matter in the universe what will happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the contradiction of relativity to Newton's law of gravity.
2. What new sort of symmetry was discovered in the 1970s?
3. Briefly describe Einstein's involvement in the events of WWII.
4. What does it mean for stars to be red-shifted or blue-shifted?
5. What was the bedrock of relativity theory, and what did it imply?
6. What did Penrose and Hawking's theory have to say about the universe's history?
7. Why can't we coherently ask why the universe is the way it is?
8. What is the no boundary condition, and what does it imply?
9. What is a p = 1 brane and a p = 2 brane?
10. Why do ground state fluctuations have serious effects on the quantum theory of gravity?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)