|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Newton's model suggest about time and space?
(a) Time and space are only observed.
(b) Time and space can't be observed.
(c) Time and space are inter-related subparticle phenomena.
(d) Time and space were not affected by events around them.
2. How do objects in space-time attempt to move?
(a) In curves.
(b) In straight lines.
(c) In loops.
(d) In boxes.
3. Because of the curvature of space-time, how do paths appear to bend?
(a) As if moved by gravity.
(b) As if moved by a field.
(c) As if moved by magnets.
(d) As if moved by a plane.
4. What may imaginary time surfaces actually be?
(a) Closed surfaces.
(b) Closed lines.
(c) Open planes.
(d) Curved surfaces.
5. If there is a low amount of matter in the universe what will happen?
(a) The universe will explode.
(b) The universe will expand forever.
(c) The universe will never expand.
(d) The universe will stop expanding in two span.
6. What do we need to describe what happens on the edge of the universe?
(a) Boundary conditions.
(b) Finite structures.
(c) Limited perceptions.
(d) Boundary laws.
7. What was everywhere when the universe was small?
(a) Particle effects.
(b) Quantum effects.
(c) Atomic effects.
(d) Molecular effects.
8. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of scientific laws.
(b) In terms of religious theories.
(c) In terms of scientific arguments.
(d) In terms of philosophy.
9. What may be a law of nature?
10. What theory of Einstein's contradicted Newton's law of gravity?
11. Who developed quantum theory?
(a) Percy Max.
(b) Max Jeoff.
(c) Max Planck.
(d) Max Wurst.
12. What did one of Einstein's mathematical errors prevent Marcel and Einstein from doing?
(a) Formulating the appropriate equations.
(b) Going to the SpaceTime conference of 1954.
(c) Finishing the job in two weeks.
(d) Colloborating on a second effort.
13. Because galaxies are not far apart, fifteen billion years ago what might have occurred?
(a) A light was turned on.
(b) A "Big Bang."
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A solar system was reduced to ten atoms.
14. Who later showed that general relativity implied the Big Bang?
(a) Stephen Hawking and Matthew Williams.
(b) Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose.
(c) Allen Walton and Zion Greenlee.
(d) Allen Walton and Roger Penrose.
15. Where did Einstein move in 1914?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many galaxies are there?
2. What did Einstein resist to admit that general relativity implied if all the stars died?
3. What does Hawking resist believing in?
4. What do models based on imaginary time make?
5. What theories implied that supersymmetric field particles should have superpartners?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)