|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a p = 2 brane?
(a) A geometrical unit.
(b) A ladder.
(c) A wall.
(d) A surface.
2. What did the philosopher Immanuel Kant worry about concerning time and Newton's model?
(a) That this implied time was infinite.
(b) That Newton's model was disproportionate.
(c) That Newton's model was too irrelevant.
(d) This this implied time was finite.
3. What is thought to expand at an accelerating rate in our universe?
4. What did Einstein resist to admit that general relativity implied if all the stars died?
(a) The universe would never have existed.
(b) The universe would never die.
(c) The universe would come to an end.
(d) The universe would collapse and recreate itself.
5. What theories of relativity did Einstein advance?
(a) Present perfect and past special.
(b) General and perfect.
(c) Special and general.
(d) Normal and placid.
6. What does Hawking believe we should try to understand?
(a) All philosophy.
(b) The universe.
(c) Gravitational spin.
(d) Market theory.
7. What theory of Einstein's contradicted Newton's law of gravity?
8. What does Hawking believe any good scientific theory should be rooted in?
(a) The philosophy of George Markus.
(b) The scientific work of Isaac Newton.
(c) The philosophy of science advanced by Karl Popper.
(d) The work of mathematician Karl Popper.
9. What may the no boundary condition imply?
(a) The universe is self-contained.
(b) The universe is self-conducted.
(c) The universe can never be contained.
(d) The universe will collapse if it cannot be condensed.
10. Who did Einstein encourage to begin nuclear research?
(a) President Johnson.
(b) President Grant.
(c) President Truman.
(d) President Roosevelt.
11. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings depends on?
(a) The amount of time in the universe.
(b) The amount of space in the universe.
(c) The amount of thought in the universe.
(d) The amount of matter in the universe.
12. Where did Einstein move in 1914?
(c) New York.
13. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
(a) Hawking's harangue on black hole theory.
(b) Maxwell's unification of magnetism, energy, and electricity.
(c) Newton's law of gravity.
(d) Popper's theory of demystification.
14. How did the universe initially expand?
(a) Fully and then not at all.
(b) Rapidly and then more slowly.
(c) Increasingly quick.
(d) Markedly slow.
15. What was discovered in the 1970s that revealed a natural physical mechanism?
(a) A new sort of plane.
(b) A new sort of planck.
(c) A new sort of timewarp.
(d) A new sort of symmetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because galaxies are not far apart, fifteen billion years ago what might have occurred?
2. What did this theory of curved spaces help Einstein and Marcel Grossman to do?
3. What does time have?
4. What can one not curve space without also curving?
5. What can Einstein's General Relativity be combined with?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)