|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Einstein resist to admit that general relativity implied if all the stars died?
(a) The universe would collapse and recreate itself.
(b) The universe would never die.
(c) The universe would come to an end.
(d) The universe would never have existed.
2. If there is a low amount of matter in the universe what will happen?
(a) The universe will stop expanding in two span.
(b) The universe will expand forever.
(c) The universe will explode.
(d) The universe will never expand.
3. Who were unconvinced by the ideas of an infinite past and future?
(a) Popper and Newkowitz.
(b) Lifshitz and Hawking.
(c) Shalob and Khalatnikov.
(d) Penrose and Hawking.
4. How did religious leaders respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
(a) It mystified them.
(b) It scared them.
(c) It delighted them.
(d) It made them struggle with their beliefs.
5. How are galaxies distributed through space?
(a) Every two fathoms.
(b) Roughly uniformly.
(c) Roughly diversely.
6. What does supersymmetry imply?
(a) That gamma rays have a spin property.
(b) That molecules have a spin property.
(c) That strings have a spin property.
(d) That particles had a spin property.
7. Where did Einstein receive his degree?
(a) The Federal Polytechnic School.
(b) Technical Teaching School.
(c) Simmons Seminary.
(d) The Seattle School of Law.
8. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings depends on?
(a) The amount of matter in the universe.
(b) The amount of thought in the universe.
(c) The amount of time in the universe.
(d) The amount of space in the universe.
9. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of scientific arguments.
(b) In terms of religious theories.
(c) In terms of philosophy.
(d) In terms of scientific laws.
10. When did Einstein receive the Nobel prize?
11. What does TOE stand for?
(a) Theory of Everywhere.
(b) Theory on Ether.
(c) Theory of Excellence.
(d) Theory of Everything.
12. Who produced the theory about curved spaces?
(a) George Markowitz.
(b) Georg Reimann.
(c) Harvey Dent.
(d) Professor Marx.
13. Because of the curvature of space-time, how do paths appear to bend?
(a) As if moved by magnets.
(b) As if moved by a field.
(c) As if moved by gravity.
(d) As if moved by a plane.
14. What can one not curve space without also curving?
15. What do models based on imaginary time make?
(a) Good predictions.
(b) False predictions.
(c) Blanket superstitions.
(d) Innumerable falsities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What may the universe not have, given quantum mechanics?
2. What two things are considered capable of shaping space-time, according to Einstein?
3. What were Fat Man and Little Boy dropped on in 1945?
4. How were people's views of space-time changed because of Einstein's work?
5. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)