|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
(a) Popper's theory of demystification.
(b) Maxwell's unification of magnetism, energy, and electricity.
(c) Hawking's harangue on black hole theory.
(d) Newton's law of gravity.
2. What is a p = 2 brane?
(a) A ladder.
(b) A geometrical unit.
(c) A surface.
(d) A wall.
3. How do objects in space-time attempt to move?
(a) In boxes.
(b) In straight lines.
(c) In curves.
(d) In loops.
4. What were Fat Man and Little Boy dropped on in 1945?
(a) Honolulu and Maui.
(b) Paris and London.
(c) Berlin and Kohn.
(d) Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
5. Who later showed that general relativity implied the Big Bang?
(a) Allen Walton and Zion Greenlee.
(b) Allen Walton and Roger Penrose.
(c) Stephen Hawking and Matthew Williams.
(d) Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose.
6. Where did Einstein accept a position?
(a) The American Academy of Science.
(b) The Prussian Academy of Science.
(c) The Italian Academy of Science.
(d) The German Academy of Science.
7. What may the universe not have, given quantum mechanics?
(a) A beginning and an ending.
(b) Infinite knowledge.
(c) A single history or every possible history.
(d) Five histories.
8. Who produced the theory about curved spaces?
(a) Harvey Dent.
(b) Professor Marx.
(c) Georg Reimann.
(d) George Markowitz.
9. What is thought to expand at an accelerating rate in our universe?
10. What did Penrose and Hawking demonstrate concerning General Relativity?
(a) The universe will collapse in a hundred years.
(b) The universe started with a tiny whirpool of light.
(c) The universe started with a massive explosion.
(d) The universe will end with a massive explosion.
11. What can Einstein's General Relativity be combined with?
(a) Quantum biology.
(b) Multiple histories.
(c) Atomic philosophy.
(d) Molecular geology.
12. What is intuitive to think about the "ground state" or stationary state of an object?
(a) This object would have multiple energies.
(b) This object would have zero energy.
(c) This object would thrive in a black hole.
(d) This object would have two energies.
13. Who developed quantum theory?
(a) Max Planck.
(b) Percy Max.
(c) Max Jeoff.
(d) Max Wurst.
14. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings depends on?
(a) The amount of thought in the universe.
(b) The amount of space in the universe.
(c) The amount of time in the universe.
(d) The amount of matter in the universe.
15. What did Einstein resist to admit that general relativity implied if all the stars died?
(a) The universe would never have existed.
(b) The universe would collapse and recreate itself.
(c) The universe would never die.
(d) The universe would come to an end.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hubble find about collections of stars?
2. What is one of the twentieth century's greatest discoveries?
3. What was discovered in the 1970s that revealed a natural physical mechanism?
4. What does the universe's real-time history determine, according to Hawking and Hartle?
5. Which project produced Fat Man and Little Boy?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)