|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Newton's model suggest about time and space?
(a) Time and space are inter-related subparticle phenomena.
(b) Time and space were not affected by events around them.
(c) Time and space can't be observed.
(d) Time and space are only observed.
2. What does supersymmetry imply?
(a) That strings have a spin property.
(b) That particles had a spin property.
(c) That gamma rays have a spin property.
(d) That molecules have a spin property.
3. What was everywhere when the universe was small?
(a) Particle effects.
(b) Molecular effects.
(c) Quantum effects.
(d) Atomic effects.
4. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of scientific laws.
(b) In terms of scientific arguments.
(c) In terms of philosophy.
(d) In terms of religious theories.
5. Who did Einstein encourage to begin nuclear research?
(a) President Roosevelt.
(b) President Johnson.
(c) President Grant.
(d) President Truman.
6. What have serious effects on a quantum theory of gravity?
(a) Fourth state fluctuations.
(b) Ground state fluctuations.
(c) Second state fluctuations.
(d) Third state fluctuations.
7. How did physicists respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
(a) They were insanely horrified.
(b) They were mystified.
(c) They disliked the idea.
(d) They were delighted.
8. Whom did Einstein later marry after his first marriage fell apart?
(a) His cousin Elsa.
(b) His sister's friend Eleanor.
(c) His brother's sister Mary.
(d) His friend Margaret.
9. Which project produced Fat Man and Little Boy?
(a) The Brooklyn Project.
(b) The Chicago Project.
(c) The Manhattan Project.
(d) The Farside Project.
10. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings depends on?
(a) The amount of thought in the universe.
(b) The amount of space in the universe.
(c) The amount of matter in the universe.
(d) The amount of time in the universe.
11. Where did Einstein move in 1914?
(a) New York.
12. Who produced the theory about curved spaces?
(a) Harvey Dent.
(b) George Markowitz.
(c) Professor Marx.
(d) Georg Reimann.
13. What does TOE stand for?
(a) Theory of Excellence.
(b) Theory of Everything.
(c) Theory of Everywhere.
(d) Theory on Ether.
14. What can we not coherently ask about the way the universe is?
(a) Why the universe is so small.
(b) Why the universe is the way it is.
(c) Why the universe is so big.
(d) Why the universe will end.
15. What equation shows mass and energy are equivalent?
(a) E = cm3.
(b) G = mc3.
(c) E = mc2.
(d) G = cm2.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does time not have apart from the universe?
2. What two things are considered capable of shaping space-time, according to Einstein?
3. What did Einstein wish people to abandon concerning time?
4. What was discovered in the 1970s that revealed a natural physical mechanism?
5. What can quantum theory represent?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)