|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are galaxies distributed through space?
(a) Roughly uniformly.
(b) Every two fathoms.
(d) Roughly diversely.
2. How did the universe initially expand?
(a) Fully and then not at all.
(b) Increasingly quick.
(c) Markedly slow.
(d) Rapidly and then more slowly.
3. What did Hubble find about collections of stars?
(a) Black holes can be found within large collections of stars.
(b) Collections of stars always have two megastars.
(c) Super novas are common in collections of stars.
(d) They are sometimes red-shifted and blue-shifted.
4. What do models based on imaginary time make?
(a) Good predictions.
(b) Blanket superstitions.
(c) False predictions.
(d) Innumerable falsities.
5. What does supersymmetry imply?
(a) That gamma rays have a spin property.
(b) That particles had a spin property.
(c) That strings have a spin property.
(d) That molecules have a spin property.
6. By what year was Einstein famous?
7. What is thought to expand at an accelerating rate in our universe?
8. What can we not coherently ask about the way the universe is?
(a) Why the universe will end.
(b) Why the universe is so big.
(c) Why the universe is the way it is.
(d) Why the universe is so small.
9. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
(a) Maxwell's unification of magnetism, energy, and electricity.
(b) Popper's theory of demystification.
(c) Hawking's harangue on black hole theory.
(d) Newton's law of gravity.
10. What equation shows mass and energy are equivalent?
(a) E = cm3.
(b) G = cm2.
(c) G = mc3.
(d) E = mc2.
11. How many articles did Einstein pen that rocketed him to the top of the scientific community?
12. What do we need to describe what happens on the edge of the universe?
(a) Boundary conditions.
(b) Limited perceptions.
(c) Finite structures.
(d) Boundary laws.
13. What is a p = 1 brane?
(a) A cone.
(b) A plane.
(c) A string.
(d) A box.
14. What is one of the twentieth century's greatest discoveries?
(a) There are extraterrestrials.
(b) The earth will be uninhabitable in fifty years.
(c) The universe is expanding.
(d) The universe is collapsing.
15. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of scientific laws.
(b) In terms of religious theories.
(c) In terms of scientific arguments.
(d) In terms of philosophy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does relativity show about the speed of light?
2. What was discovered in the 1970s that revealed a natural physical mechanism?
3. What does Hawking resist believing in?
4. How did physicists respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
5. Why is it important that the sky is dark?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)