|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who believed they could interpret General Relativity so time had an infinite past and an infinite future?
(a) Lifshitz and Khalatnikov.
(b) Shalob and Khalatnikov.
(c) Hawking and Penrose.
(d) Lucas and Marx.
2. What did Penrose and Hawking demonstrate concerning General Relativity?
(a) The universe will collapse in a hundred years.
(b) The universe will end with a massive explosion.
(c) The universe started with a massive explosion.
(d) The universe started with a tiny whirpool of light.
3. What is thought to expand at an accelerating rate in our universe?
4. What human conceptions did Einstein's papers change?
(a) Morals, virtues, and predilections.
(b) Love, warp speed, and imaginary time.
(c) Space, time, and reality.
(d) Time, ciphers, and values.
5. What did Hubble find about collections of stars?
(a) Black holes can be found within large collections of stars.
(b) They are sometimes red-shifted and blue-shifted.
(c) Collections of stars always have two megastars.
(d) Super novas are common in collections of stars.
6. What is a p = 2 brane?
(a) A surface.
(b) A geometrical unit.
(c) A wall.
(d) A ladder.
7. What did Newton's model suggest about time and space?
(a) Time and space were not affected by events around them.
(b) Time and space can't be observed.
(c) Time and space are inter-related subparticle phenomena.
(d) Time and space are only observed.
8. How did the universe initially expand?
(a) Increasingly quick.
(b) Rapidly and then more slowly.
(c) Markedly slow.
(d) Fully and then not at all.
9. What do string theories most notably lack?
10. When was Einstein born?
11. What was discovered in the 1970s that revealed a natural physical mechanism?
(a) A new sort of plane.
(b) A new sort of symmetry.
(c) A new sort of timewarp.
(d) A new sort of planck.
12. How did physicists respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
(a) They were mystified.
(b) They were delighted.
(c) They disliked the idea.
(d) They were insanely horrified.
13. Whom did Einstein later marry after his first marriage fell apart?
(a) His friend Margaret.
(b) His brother's sister Mary.
(c) His sister's friend Eleanor.
(d) His cousin Elsa.
14. What have serious effects on a quantum theory of gravity?
(a) Fourth state fluctuations.
(b) Third state fluctuations.
(c) Ground state fluctuations.
(d) Second state fluctuations.
15. Who later showed that general relativity implied the Big Bang?
(a) Allen Walton and Roger Penrose.
(b) Stephen Hawking and Matthew Williams.
(c) Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose.
(d) Allen Walton and Zion Greenlee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who produced the theory about curved spaces?
2. What theories of relativity did Einstein advance?
3. How did religious leaders respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
4. What theory of Einstein's contradicted Newton's law of gravity?
5. According to Popper, what happens if positivism is true?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)