|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Brane New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were people's views of space-time changed because of Einstein's work?
(a) Space-time became understood as a dynamic feature.
(b) Space-time became irrelevant.
(c) Space-time became understood as a passive feature.
(d) No one's idea of space-time was changed.
2. Where does one set of possibilities lie in relation to using the laws of physics to explore the galaxy?
3. What would a civilization have to do to build a time machine?
(a) Generate enough heat to fuel the time machine's engines.
(b) Create a new cosmos.
(c) Preclude the time travel paradox.
(d) Surpass a time travel "horizon."
4. What do models based on imaginary time make?
(a) Good predictions.
(b) Innumerable falsities.
(c) Blanket superstitions.
(d) False predictions.
5. How did physicists respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
(a) They were mystified.
(b) They were insanely horrified.
(c) They disliked the idea.
(d) They were delighted.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what scale does Hawking think time travel occurs?
2. What did Penrose and Hawking demonstrate concerning General Relativity?
3. What kind of world does Hawking say we live in?
4. What was everywhere when the universe was small?
5. What laws might allow space-time to warp to allow a spaceship to travel through the past?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)