|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Protecting the Past.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Einstein born?
2. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of scientific arguments.
(b) In terms of religious theories.
(c) In terms of scientific laws.
(d) In terms of philosophy.
3. What did Newton's model suggest about time and space?
(a) Time and space are inter-related subparticle phenomena.
(b) Time and space can't be observed.
(c) Time and space were not affected by events around them.
(d) Time and space are only observed.
4. What kind of energy density might an advanced civilization be able to create?
(a) An energy density finite on a spatial plane.
(b) An energy density finite on a time boundary.
(c) An energy density infinite on a level ground.
(d) An energy density infinite on a spatial boundary.
5. What did Strominger and Vafa postulate in 1996?
(a) That black holes house new worlds.
(b) That black holes are composed of f-branes.
(c) That black holes are empty.
(d) That black holes are composed of p-branes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are cosmic strings?
2. Who later showed that general relativity implied the Big Bang?
3. How did the universe initially expand?
4. What would a civilization have to do to build a time machine?
5. What theories of relativity did Einstein advance?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)