|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, Protecting the Past.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would a civilization have to do to build a time machine?
(a) Surpass a time travel "horizon."
(b) Create a new cosmos.
(c) Generate enough heat to fuel the time machine's engines.
(d) Preclude the time travel paradox.
2. On what scale does Hawking think time travel occurs?
(a) An incredibly low scale.
(b) An incredibly surface-level scale.
(c) An incredibly small scale.
(d) An incredibly dense scale.
3. What does Hawking think black holes radiate?
4. What does Hawking believe any good scientific theory should be rooted in?
(a) The philosophy of George Markus.
(b) The philosophy of science advanced by Karl Popper.
(c) The scientific work of Isaac Newton.
(d) The work of mathematician Karl Popper.
5. What did one of Einstein's mathematical errors prevent Marcel and Einstein from doing?
(a) Going to the SpaceTime conference of 1954.
(b) Colloborating on a second effort.
(c) Finishing the job in two weeks.
(d) Formulating the appropriate equations.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Einstein receive the Nobel prize?
2. According to Popper, what happens if positivism is true?
3. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
4. What did Strominger and Vafa postulate in 1996?
5. What is thought to expand at an accelerating rate in our universe?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)