|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Universe in a Nutshell.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Popper, what happens if positivism is true?
(a) We cannot believe in time.
(b) We cannot say what space is.
(c) We cannot say what time is.
(d) We lose all negativity.
2. How did religious leaders respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
(a) It scared them.
(b) It made them struggle with their beliefs.
(c) It mystified them.
(d) It delighted them.
3. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of religious theories.
(b) In terms of philosophy.
(c) In terms of scientific laws.
(d) In terms of scientific arguments.
4. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
(a) Maxwell's unification of magnetism, energy, and electricity.
(b) Newton's law of gravity.
(c) Popper's theory of demystification.
(d) Hawking's harangue on black hole theory.
5. What does general relativity combine time with space to form?
(a) Three-dimensional physics.
(b) Five-dimensional warp speed.
(c) Two-dimensional planes.
(d) Four-dimensional space-time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a p = 1 brane?
2. What sort of lengths do P-branes have?
3. What is a p = 2 brane?
4. What have serious effects on a quantum theory of gravity?
5. What may be a law of nature?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)