|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Universe in a Nutshell.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Einstein suggest concerning the speed of light?
(a) Light is independent of motion.
(b) Light is dependent on time.
(c) Light is dependent on motion.
(d) Light is independent of time.
2. How were people's views of space-time changed because of Einstein's work?
(a) Space-time became understood as a passive feature.
(b) No one's idea of space-time was changed.
(c) Space-time became irrelevant.
(d) Space-time became understood as a dynamic feature.
3. When did Einstein receive the Nobel prize?
4. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
(a) Newton's law of gravity.
(b) Maxwell's unification of magnetism, energy, and electricity.
(c) Popper's theory of demystification.
(d) Hawking's harangue on black hole theory.
5. Because of the curvature of space-time, how do paths appear to bend?
(a) As if moved by magnets.
(b) As if moved by a field.
(c) As if moved by gravity.
(d) As if moved by a plane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings depends on?
2. What does Hawking resist believing in?
3. By what year was Einstein famous?
4. Who believed they could interpret General Relativity so time had an infinite past and an infinite future?
5. What does the universe's real-time history determine, according to Hawking and Hartle?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)