|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Universe in a Nutshell.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When were strings regarded as insufficient?
(a) After 1988.
(b) Before 1988.
(c) Before 1985.
(d) After 1985.
2. What is vacuum energy's force inverse to?
3. What do we need to describe what happens on the edge of the universe?
(a) Finite structures.
(b) Boundary conditions.
(c) Limited perceptions.
(d) Boundary laws.
4. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of religious theories.
(b) In terms of scientific laws.
(c) In terms of philosophy.
(d) In terms of scientific arguments.
5. What may the no boundary condition imply?
(a) The universe will collapse if it cannot be condensed.
(b) The universe can never be contained.
(c) The universe is self-contained.
(d) The universe is self-conducted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Einstein accept a position?
2. What did nineteenth century scientists believe space was pervaded by?
3. Who later showed that general relativity implied the Big Bang?
4. What may the universe not have, given quantum mechanics?
5. What is intuitive to think about the "ground state" or stationary state of an object?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)