|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Universe in a Nutshell.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Einstein assume about scientific laws?
(a) Laws are always fallible.
(b) Most laws need to be rewritten.
(c) Laws should remain constant in the view of all observers.
(d) Laws are never fallible.
2. What is one reason Hawking takes multiple dimensions seriously?
(a) Conclusive relationships between plane models.
(b) Unexpected relationships between various string models.
(c) Expected relationships between diverse string thories.
(d) Unexpected relationships between multiple dimensions.
3. How were people's views of space-time changed because of Einstein's work?
(a) No one's idea of space-time was changed.
(b) Space-time became understood as a passive feature.
(c) Space-time became understood as a dynamic feature.
(d) Space-time became irrelevant.
4. When did Einstein receive the Nobel prize?
5. What does Hawking believe any good scientific theory should be rooted in?
(a) The scientific work of Isaac Newton.
(b) The philosophy of George Markus.
(c) The work of mathematician Karl Popper.
(d) The philosophy of science advanced by Karl Popper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because galaxies are not far apart, fifteen billion years ago what might have occurred?
2. What was the twentieth century's other complete conceptual revolution?
3. If there is a low amount of matter in the universe what will happen?
4. What can we not coherently ask about the way the universe is?
5. What is a p = 1 brane?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)