|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Universe in a Nutshell.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of scientific laws.
(b) In terms of philosophy.
(c) In terms of religious theories.
(d) In terms of scientific arguments.
2. What did Einstein suggest concerning the speed of light?
(a) Light is independent of motion.
(b) Light is independent of time.
(c) Light is dependent on motion.
(d) Light is dependent on time.
3. What is a p = 1 brane?
(a) A cone.
(b) A plane.
(c) A box.
(d) A string.
4. What did Einstein resist to admit that general relativity implied if all the stars died?
(a) The universe would never have existed.
(b) The universe would come to an end.
(c) The universe would never die.
(d) The universe would collapse and recreate itself.
5. What have serious effects on a quantum theory of gravity?
(a) Third state fluctuations.
(b) Fourth state fluctuations.
(c) Second state fluctuations.
(d) Ground state fluctuations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hawking believe any good scientific theory should be rooted in?
2. What were Fat Man and Little Boy dropped on in 1945?
3. Who were unconvinced by the ideas of an infinite past and future?
4. What theory of Einstein's contradicted Newton's law of gravity?
5. What sort of lengths do P-branes have?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)