|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Universe in a Nutshell.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hubble find about collections of stars?
(a) Super novas are common in collections of stars.
(b) They are sometimes red-shifted and blue-shifted.
(c) Black holes can be found within large collections of stars.
(d) Collections of stars always have two megastars.
2. What did Penrose and Hawking demonstrate concerning General Relativity?
(a) The universe started with a massive explosion.
(b) The universe will collapse in a hundred years.
(c) The universe will end with a massive explosion.
(d) The universe started with a tiny whirpool of light.
3. What did the philosopher Immanuel Kant worry about concerning time and Newton's model?
(a) That Newton's model was disproportionate.
(b) That this implied time was infinite.
(c) This this implied time was finite.
(d) That Newton's model was too irrelevant.
4. When was Einstein born?
5. What did Einstein suggest concerning the speed of light?
(a) Light is dependent on time.
(b) Light is independent of time.
(c) Light is independent of motion.
(d) Light is dependent on motion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
2. Whom did Einstein later marry after his first marriage fell apart?
3. What does Hawking resist believing in?
4. What did this theory of curved spaces help Einstein and Marcel Grossman to do?
5. What is one of the twentieth century's greatest discoveries?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)