|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Universe in a Nutshell.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did one of Einstein's mathematical errors prevent Marcel and Einstein from doing?
(a) Colloborating on a second effort.
(b) Formulating the appropriate equations.
(c) Going to the SpaceTime conference of 1954.
(d) Finishing the job in two weeks.
2. What may the no boundary condition imply?
(a) The universe will collapse if it cannot be condensed.
(b) The universe is self-conducted.
(c) The universe can never be contained.
(d) The universe is self-contained.
3. What does relativity show about the speed of light?
(a) The speed of light will appear constant.
(b) The speed of light is an illusion of motion.
(c) The speed of light is dependent upon gravity.
(d) The speed of light is independent of will.
4. What do we need to describe what happens on the edge of the universe?
(a) Boundary conditions.
(b) Limited perceptions.
(c) Boundary laws.
(d) Finite structures.
5. How were people's views of space-time changed because of Einstein's work?
(a) Space-time became understood as a passive feature.
(b) Space-time became irrelevant.
(c) Space-time became understood as a dynamic feature.
(d) No one's idea of space-time was changed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hawking think is beneficial concerning matter?
2. What is vacuum energy's force inverse to?
3. What does Hawking believe the possibility of intelligent beings depends on?
4. What is one reason Hawking takes multiple dimensions seriously?
5. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)