|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Shape of Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Newton's model suggest about time and space?
(a) Time and space are inter-related subparticle phenomena.
(b) Time and space are only observed.
(c) Time and space can't be observed.
(d) Time and space were not affected by events around them.
2. When was Einstein born?
3. How did physicists respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
(a) They were delighted.
(b) They disliked the idea.
(c) They were mystified.
(d) They were insanely horrified.
4. What theories implied that supersymmetric field particles should have superpartners?
(a) Supergravity theories.
(b) Supertheoric partner theories.
(c) Symmetric movement theories.
(d) Particle accelerator theories.
5. What did one of Einstein's mathematical errors prevent Marcel and Einstein from doing?
(a) Colloborating on a second effort.
(b) Going to the SpaceTime conference of 1954.
(c) Finishing the job in two weeks.
(d) Formulating the appropriate equations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were unconvinced by the ideas of an infinite past and future?
2. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
3. Who did Einstein encourage to begin nuclear research?
4. What do string theories most notably lack?
5. Because of the curvature of space-time, how do paths appear to bend?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)