|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, The Shape of Time.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dirac's discoveries were difficult to reconcile with what?
(a) Popper's theory of demystification.
(b) Maxwell's unification of magnetism, energy, and electricity.
(c) Hawking's harangue on black hole theory.
(d) Newton's law of gravity.
2. What theory of Einstein's contradicted Newton's law of gravity?
3. What theories implied that supersymmetric field particles should have superpartners?
(a) Particle accelerator theories.
(b) Supergravity theories.
(c) Supertheoric partner theories.
(d) Symmetric movement theories.
4. What did Newton's model suggest about time and space?
(a) Time and space are inter-related subparticle phenomena.
(b) Time and space can't be observed.
(c) Time and space are only observed.
(d) Time and space were not affected by events around them.
5. What do models based on imaginary time make?
(a) Good predictions.
(b) Innumerable falsities.
(c) False predictions.
(d) Blanket superstitions.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Popper, what happens if positivism is true?
2. What did Einstein assume about scientific laws?
3. How did physicists respond to Hawking and Penrose's work?
4. What theories of relativity did Einstein advance?
5. Whom did Einstein later marry after his first marriage fell apart?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)