|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Predicting the Future.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Popper, what happens if positivism is true?
(a) We cannot believe in time.
(b) We cannot say what space is.
(c) We cannot say what time is.
(d) We lose all negativity.
2. When were strings regarded as insufficient?
(a) After 1985.
(b) Before 1988.
(c) Before 1985.
(d) After 1988.
3. What did Hawking and Hartle believe the universe may not have?
(a) A broad scope.
(b) A narrow scope.
(c) A boundary.
(d) A time condition.
4. What does supersymmetry imply?
(a) That molecules have a spin property.
(b) That particles had a spin property.
(c) That strings have a spin property.
(d) That gamma rays have a spin property.
5. Who believed they could interpret General Relativity so time had an infinite past and an infinite future?
(a) Hawking and Penrose.
(b) Lucas and Marx.
(c) Lifshitz and Khalatnikov.
(d) Shalob and Khalatnikov.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have serious effects on a quantum theory of gravity?
2. What does Hawking believe any good scientific theory should be rooted in?
3. What is intuitive to think about the "ground state" or stationary state of an object?
4. Who did Einstein encourage to begin nuclear research?
5. What can one not curve space without also curving?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)