|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Predicting the Future.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because galaxies are not far apart, fifteen billion years ago what might have occurred?
(a) A solar system was reduced to ten atoms.
(b) A light was turned on.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A "Big Bang."
2. What does Hawking resist believing in?
(a) Never-ending dimensions.
(b) One dimension.
(c) Ten dimensions.
(d) Extra dimensions.
3. What was everywhere when the universe was small?
(a) Quantum effects.
(b) Atomic effects.
(c) Molecular effects.
(d) Particle effects.
4. What does the Schrodinger equation specify?
(a) The rate at which bell curves change with motion.
(b) The rate at which wave function changes with time.
(c) The rate at which satellites operate particle states.
(d) The rate at which light function changes with speed.
5. What does Hawking believe any good scientific theory should be rooted in?
(a) The philosophy of science advanced by Karl Popper.
(b) The work of mathematician Karl Popper.
(c) The scientific work of Isaac Newton.
(d) The philosophy of George Markus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is intuitive to think about the "ground state" or stationary state of an object?
2. How many galaxies are there?
3. Who were unconvinced by the ideas of an infinite past and future?
4. What did Hawking and Hartle believe the universe may not have?
5. What theory of Einstein's contradicted Newton's law of gravity?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)