|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Predicting the Future.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Einstein assume about scientific laws?
(a) Laws should remain constant in the view of all observers.
(b) Laws are always fallible.
(c) Most laws need to be rewritten.
(d) Laws are never fallible.
2. Who were unconvinced by the ideas of an infinite past and future?
(a) Lifshitz and Hawking.
(b) Popper and Newkowitz.
(c) Shalob and Khalatnikov.
(d) Penrose and Hawking.
3. How does Hawking think we should try to understand the beginning of the universe?
(a) In terms of religious theories.
(b) In terms of philosophy.
(c) In terms of scientific laws.
(d) In terms of scientific arguments.
4. What do the Schrodinger equations assume?
(a) That force is a product of gravity.
(b) That speed is a constant.
(c) That time runs smoothly everywhere.
(d) That motion is inverse to acceleration.
5. What does Hawking believe any good scientific theory should be rooted in?
(a) The philosophy of science advanced by Karl Popper.
(b) The scientific work of Isaac Newton.
(c) The philosophy of George Markus.
(d) The work of mathematician Karl Popper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Penrose and Hawking demonstrate concerning General Relativity?
2. How were people's views of space-time changed because of Einstein's work?
3. What can quantum theory represent?
4. What may be a law of nature?
5. What partially restores determinism as a view?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)