|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Our Future?, Star Trek or Not?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of the curvature of space-time, how do paths appear to bend?
(a) As if moved by gravity.
(b) As if moved by a plane.
(c) As if moved by a field.
(d) As if moved by magnets.
2. What does Hawking believe any good scientific theory should be rooted in?
(a) The scientific work of Isaac Newton.
(b) The work of mathematician Karl Popper.
(c) The philosophy of George Markus.
(d) The philosophy of science advanced by Karl Popper.
3. What does supersymmetry imply?
(a) That gamma rays have a spin property.
(b) That particles had a spin property.
(c) That strings have a spin property.
(d) That molecules have a spin property.
4. What is a p = 1 brane?
(a) A string.
(b) A box.
(c) A plane.
(d) A cone.
5. How does Hawking describe himself?
(a) A relationist.
(b) A negativist.
(c) A positivist.
(d) An optimist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believed they could interpret General Relativity so time had an infinite past and an infinite future?
2. What kind of philosophy do black holes have?
3. What can one not curve space without also curving?
4. Who were unconvinced by the ideas of an infinite past and future?
5. What sort of lengths do P-branes have?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)