|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6, Our Future?, Star Trek or Not?.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When were strings regarded as insufficient?
(a) Before 1985.
(b) Before 1988.
(c) After 1988.
(d) After 1985.
2. When was absolute time overthrown as an idea?
(a) Ten years ago.
(b) Fifty years ago.
(c) Over 100 years ago.
(d) The idea was never overthrown.
3. What do models based on imaginary time make?
(a) Good predictions.
(b) Innumerable falsities.
(c) Blanket superstitions.
(d) False predictions.
4. How many books a year are estimated to be published?
(a) Two hundred thousand books.
(b) Three hundred thousand books.
(c) One thousand books.
(d) Four hundred thousand books.
5. What does Hawking believe any good scientific theory should be rooted in?
(a) The philosophy of George Markus.
(b) The scientific work of Isaac Newton.
(c) The work of mathematician Karl Popper.
(d) The philosophy of science advanced by Karl Popper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hawking resist believing in?
2. What is intuitive to think about the "ground state" or stationary state of an object?
3. What does time have?
4. How can one find black holes?
5. What do string theories most notably lack?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)