|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. They do not run the cars much over __________________ at that track for that race.
2. Why do even the best of race cars often not last long?
3. Mark tells readers that he dislikes _______________ between himself and anyone else.
4. Why does the answer to number 28 come as a bit of a shock?
5. Are cars modified every season?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the business meeting between Roger Penske and the American Motors people. How does Mark feel about this? Should he feel this way? Why or why not?
2. How does Mark Donohue die? What are your thoughts on his death?
3. Describe Mark prior to becoming a race car driver. How does he get into racing?
4. What conflict over value and loyalties takes place in this chapter? How important does loyalty seem to be, based on this example?
5. How is practicing for a race different than a race?
6. What does the author say about the relationship between speed and aerodynamics?
7. What leads to the first mention of the title of this book?
8. What does Mark have to say about a good car he is running? Why might he say this?
9. What does Mark reveal about himself during this chapter?
10. What does someone find for the first time in 1966? Why is this surprising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mark comes into contact with many other drivers.
Part 1) Name two of these drivers and describe them. How do they compare to Mark, as far as personality and driving record?
Part 2) Describe the relationships between the drivers. How might this compare to the relationships between athletes in other sports?
Part 3) How do other drivers factor into one's abilities on the race track? How does this parallel real life, outside of racing?
Essay Topic 2
Mark stays loyal to McLaren.
Part 1) Why do Mark and the Penske team decide to work with McLaren? Describe the McLaren cars. Overall, are they of good quality and a good fit for the Penske team? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does Mark stay with McLaren for a racing season, but have Roger Penske buy a new Eagle car from Dan Gurney? To what does this lead? How is this adjustment unusual? How effective is this adjustment? Explain.
Part 3) To whom are you loyal? Why are you loyal to this person, persons, or organization? How does this loyalty affect the decisions you make? Overall, do you see loyalty as a positive thing? Why or why not? Overall, does Mark's loyalty to various organizations throughout his life have a positive affect on his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Donohue builds a relationship with Flagl.
Part 1) Who is Flagl? How does Donohue meet Flagl? How do these two men begin a working relationship? Why does Flagl become so important to Mark?
Part 2) With who else does Mark build relationships throughout the course of his life? How do each of these individuals influence him as a driver, an engineer, and as a person?
Part 3) With whom do you have a good relationship? How did this relationship develop? How does this relationship influence your daily life? How different would your life be without this person in it?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)