|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What car do they use to try out in a new racing venue?
2. Chapter 15: The Lola T70 includes an experimental stiff set of ________________ that are so good they are reused in a number of race cars over several years.
3. Mark tries to drive for another team, but wisely does what?
4. Why is it not possible for Mark Donohue to figure out whether this car oversteers, understeers or neither at Indianapolis?
5. Why does Mark become accustomed to winning rather quickly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roger say that frightens Mark? Why does Roger say this?
2. How has the race in which Mark has now taken an interest become a good experience for Mark and the team?
3. Describe Mark's first experiences as a race car driver. What does he learn from this experience?
4. What does Mark Donohue think about racing in 1963?
5. Describe Mark's experience with the Lola T70.
6. What does someone find for the first time in 1966? Why is this surprising?
7. How is practicing for a race different than a race?
8. What does Mark have to say about a good car he is running? Why might he say this?
9. What does the author say about the relationship between speed and aerodynamics?
10. Why is the track at Indianapolis frustrating for Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mark stays loyal to McLaren.
Part 1) Why do Mark and the Penske team decide to work with McLaren? Describe the McLaren cars. Overall, are they of good quality and a good fit for the Penske team? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does Mark stay with McLaren for a racing season, but have Roger Penske buy a new Eagle car from Dan Gurney? To what does this lead? How is this adjustment unusual? How effective is this adjustment? Explain.
Part 3) To whom are you loyal? Why are you loyal to this person, persons, or organization? How does this loyalty affect the decisions you make? Overall, do you see loyalty as a positive thing? Why or why not? Overall, does Mark's loyalty to various organizations throughout his life have a positive affect on his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Race cars run on several different types of fuel.
Part 1) Describe these types of fuel. What are Mark's experiences regarding fuel types? Which might he prefer? Why?
Part 2) What other aspects of the automobile are significantly important to the outcome of a race? How are each of these parts of an automobile important?
Part 3) How is the type of fuel used in an automobile driven on the street an issue today? What research is being done regarding this fuel? Why? How might this affect racing?
Essay Topic 3
Mark's son writes the introduction to this book.
Part 1) Summarize the introduction. How is the introduction important? What is intriguing about the information given in this introduction?
Part 2) How does this introduction prepare the reader for the rest of the story? How does Donohue get into racing? Does this seem surprising? Why or why not?
Part 3) What interests do you have? How could these interests influence your future? What do these interests reveal about you?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)