|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Mark grows very discouraged?
2. Are cars modified every season?
3. Race car driving is all about finding limits the _________ way.
4. On what does Mark run the Chevy?
5. Roger becomes frightened when he hears Roger Penske announce publicly that they are going to win _____ races driving Javelin race cars for American Motors.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mark Donohue die? What are your thoughts on his death?
2. Describe Mark's personal life. How does he feel about this?
3. Describe Mark's first experiences as a race car driver. What does he learn from this experience?
4. What happens when Mark is driving a car and the restrictions are removed? How important is the difference in speed? Why?
5. Describe Mark's experience with the Lola T70.
6. What is decided between Roger Penske and Chevrolet?
7. What leads to the first mention of the title of this book?
8. What does Mark Donohue think about racing in 1963?
9. What does at least one of Mark's competitors think of innovation? Why might this person feel this way?
10. What does the author say about the relationship between speed and aerodynamics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mark comes into contact with many other drivers.
Part 1) Name two of these drivers and describe them. How do they compare to Mark, as far as personality and driving record?
Part 2) Describe the relationships between the drivers. How might this compare to the relationships between athletes in other sports?
Part 3) How do other drivers factor into one's abilities on the race track? How does this parallel real life, outside of racing?
Essay Topic 2
Mark is, at first, disappointed and a disappointment in Germany.
Part 1) Why does Mark go to Germany? Describe his initial experience in Germany. Why is it disappointing and even somewhat offensive? What does this reveal about Mark, his team, and the Germans?
Part 2) How does this trip to Germany change over time? What leads to these changes? How does this trip turn from a negative to a positive experience for Mark, the Penske team, and the Germans?
Part 3) Describe a time when you were disappointed. What led to this disappointment? How did you handle this disappointment? What did you learn from this experience?
Essay Topic 3
A disaster occurs in the Penske team's garage.
Part 1) Describe this accident. How does it affect the Penske team? How does Mark view this accident? What does this reveal about him?
Part 2) What other challenges and setbacks does the Penske team face throughout the book? How do they handle these challenges? What do they learn from these potentially negative situations? Overall, how is racing changed because of challenges faced by drivers and teams?
Part 3) What challenges or setbacks have you faced in your life? How did these affect you? What positive things came from these negative situations?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)