|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many trials did Kevorkian face and successfully avoid conviction in Oakland County?
2. What did Lynch want his loved ones to do at the graveside?
3. In what German city did Sweeney study?
4. What singing group did Lynch desire to emulate?
5. What did Reader want done with his body after death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do most people view undertakers, according to Lynch?
2. What did Lynch mean when he said that "in even the best of caskets, it never all fits"?
3. What lesson did Lynch want to teach Sweeney with his story of the man killed by the falling vehicle at the scrap metal yard?
4. What characteristic of "successful" suicides did Lynch say he admired?
5. How do Lynch and his wife differ in their views of Milford as they walk through town in Chapter 7?
6. Why did Janet Adkins ask Jack Kevorkian to assist in her suicide?
7. How did the funeral processions through town change when the Oak Grove bridge collapsed?
8. What kind of music did Lynch want at his funeral?
9. What did Lynch want from his funeral, when all was said and done?
10. Why did Lynch suggest February as a good month for his death and burial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In discussing the divorce of his friend, Henry Nugent, Lynch said divorced men in our society are seen as damaged goods. What did he mean by that? In what ways was the divorce easier on Nugent's ex-wife? How does divorce affect the father's relationship with the children? How did Lynch's divorce differ from many other American divorces?
Essay Topic 2
Lynch wanted to know the day he would die so he could recognize the midpoint when he arrived at it. Do you think it is possible to intuitively know the midpoint of your life? Why did Lynch pick that Halloween as his likely midpoint? What was is perspective on his life at that point? What would be the advantages to knowing the midpoint of your life? Would it affect how you viewed different periods of your life? is there actually an equilibrium that people automatically reach at midlife?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Uncle Eddie's suicide cleanup business (note: there are actual businesses that focus on cleaning up scenes of violent deaths, including suicides and murders). How did Eddie's business provide society with a valuable service? How did the cleanup after these deaths usually get done before such services? How is it an act of kindness for an outsider to clean up the scene so that loved ones do not have to see it? How does this relate to the general services provided by funeral parlors and undertakers?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)