|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American writer referred to the "imp of the perverse"?
(a) H.P. Lovecraft.
(b) Herman Melville.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
2. To what animal did Lynch allude in making his analogy about living at the midpoint?
(a) California condors.
(b) Monarch butterflies.
3. When was the Oak Grove Bridge declared unsafe for vehicular traffic?
(a) Late 1960s.
(b) Mid 1970s.
(c) Late 1970s.
(d) Early 1970s.
4. What did Reader want done with his body after death?
(a) He wanted it donated to medical training.
(b) He wanted to be buried in a simple cardboard box.
(c) He wanted to be buried in a simple shroud.
(d) He wanted to be cremated.
5. Before Kevorkian, how many attempted suicides were women?
(a) Three out of five.
(b) Seven out of ten.
(c) Nine out of ten.
(d) Five out of six.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did John Hillenbrand purchase the Batesville Coffin Company?
2. How had the men in Lynch's family died for the most part?
3. How much did the mahogany casket cost?
4. Where was Reader when he died?
5. What did Uncle Eddie need help coming up with as he was starting his suicide cleanup business?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do most people view undertakers, according to Lynch?
2. What did Lynch mean when he said that "in even the best of caskets, it never all fits"?
3. What did Lynch see as the advantage of being at the midpoint of one's life?
4. How did Lynch react to the body of the young man who shot himself in Chapter 9?
5. What lesson did Lynch want to teach Sweeney with his story of the man killed by the falling vehicle at the scrap metal yard?
6. What perspective did Lynch reach on the night his mother was buried?
7. Why did Lynch suggest February as a good month for his death and burial?
8. How does Sweeney approach the consuming of food delicacies?
9. What characteristic of "successful" suicides did Lynch say he admired?
10. How did the funeral processions through town change when the Oak Grove bridge collapsed?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)