|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If he is cremated, what does Lynch want done with the ashes?
(a) Scattered over town.
(b) Kept in the funeral parlor.
(c) Kept in his family's home.
2. Before Kevorkian, how many "successful" suicides were men?
(a) Nine out of ten.
(b) Five out of six.
(c) Three out of five.
(d) Four out of six.
3. What are people not allowed to do at the trestle known as the Arch?
4. What poet is quoted at the beginning of "Tract"?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Robert Frost.
(c) William Carols Williams.
(d) William Butler Yeats.
5. What rock group did Lynch allude to in Chapter 7?
(a) Sonic Youth.
(b) Green Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Uncle Eddie need help coming up with as he was starting his suicide cleanup business?
2. When were the first sealed caskets made?
3. How much did the mahogany casket cost?
4. What singing group did Lynch desire to emulate?
5. In what decade of life did most of the Lynch men die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lynch view a world in which certain deaths are acceptable (abortion, war, capital punishment)?
2. What did Lynch see as the advantage of being at the midpoint of one's life?
3. Why did authors such as Jessica Mitford attack the funeral industry?
4. Describe Matthew Sweeney's personality.
5. What did Lynch mean when he said that "in even the best of caskets, it never all fits"?
6. What lesson did Lynch want to teach Sweeney with his story of the man killed by the falling vehicle at the scrap metal yard?
7. Why did Lynch suggest February as a good month for his death and burial?
8. What characteristic of "successful" suicides did Lynch say he admired?
9. What did Lynch want from his funeral, when all was said and done?
10. What perspective did Lynch reach on the night his mother was buried?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)