|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attempts to have sex with Cora in "Tennessee"?
2. What did Moses receive his first whipping for?
3. Who is the man that composed almanacs that is described in "Indiana"?
4. Of what book of the Bible does the narrator claim "Cora believed in that part of the holy book, at least" in "Indiana"?
5. What nickname does Gloria give to Cora?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Martin relate to Cora about North Carolina politics during their visits?
2. What does Cora note about the landscape as she crosses through Tennessee?
3. What happens during the ambush at the community meeting in the end of "Indiana"?
4. How does the narrative transition in the chapter titled "Caesar"?
5. What converation takes place between Cora and Valentine in the library in "Indiana"?
6. What does Cora observe about Fiona from the attic in "North Carolina"?
7. How does Cora make her way outside of the Underground Railroad in "The North"?
8. How is Cora's relationship with Royal illustrated in "Indiana"?
9. How does Cora manage to escape from Ridgeway in "The North"?
10. How does the narrator describe Caesar's feelings toward Mr. Fletcher and Mrs. Garner in "Caesar"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of irony in The Underground Railroad. What are examples of verbal irony used in the novel? What are examples of dramatic and situational irony? What purpose do these examples serve to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of racism and history in The Underground Railroad. How does the author develop these themes through character and setting? What symbolism relates to these themes? How does the author explore these themes through action and plot development?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Caesar in The Underground Railroad. Why does Caesar choose Cora as the slave he wants to run away with? How did Caesar learn to read and write? What do Caesar's actions reveal about his character?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)