|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the necklace made of that Ridgeway's assistant wears?
2. How many students are in the schoolroom where Cora attends classes in "Indiana"?
3. Who left Valentine Farm because of the murder he committed?
4. Who had given Caesar the book that he goes to read at the schoolhouse?
5. Where did Sam end up driving trains on the Underground Railroad after he left South Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What converation takes place between Cora and Valentine in the library in "Indiana"?
2. How does the narrative transition in the chapter titled "Caesar"?
3. Why does Ridgeway take Cora into Tennessee?
4. How is the setting described when Cora exits the train station in "The North"?
5. What leads to Mabel's death, as revealed in "Mabel"?
6. What is "Manifest Destiny" and how is it discussed in the novel?
7. How is Valentine farm described? Where is it located?
8. How did Martin become involved with the Underground Railroad?
9. What does Ridgeway tell Cora about Caesar in "Tennessee"?
10. What does Cora observe about Fiona from the attic in "North Carolina"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters of Martin and Ethel Wells. Where does Cora meet these characters? How do these characters help Cora? What relationships do they form? What becomes of Martin and Ethel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of racism and history in The Underground Railroad. How does the author develop these themes through character and setting? What symbolism relates to these themes? How does the author explore these themes through action and plot development?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the historical context of The Underground Railroad. What were the laws and regulations like in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Indiana at this time historically? How important is it to understand the historical context in order to follow the novel's plot?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)