|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the slave girl described in the wanted ad that opens "The North"?
2. How many men, women, and children does the narrator claim were killed in the Southampton Insurrection?
3. Who teaches the lessons that Cora attends in "Indiana"?
4. Who shoots Jasper in "Tennessee"?
5. What nickname does Gloria give to Cora?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cora note about the landscape as she crosses through Tennessee?
2. How are the fall festival activiities described at Valentine farm?
3. What news does Sam relate during his visit in "Indiana"?
4. What is significant about the allusions to Gulliver's Travels in The Underground Railroad?
5. What converation takes place between Cora and Valentine in the library in "Indiana"?
6. How does the narrator describe Caesar's feelings toward Mr. Fletcher and Mrs. Garner in "Caesar"?
7. What happens during the ambush at Ridgeway's wagon in "Tennessee"?
8. What happens when Cora is discovered in the home of the Wells?
9. How does the "Wanted" posting differ in "The North" from the ones in previous chapters?
10. What does Cora observe about Fiona from the attic in "North Carolina"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Cora as the protagonist of The Underground Railroad. What characteristics does Cora exhibit when her character is introduced? What makes Cora a "stray"? How does Cora's character develop over the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Royal in The Underground Railroad. How does Cora come to know Royal? How would you describe their relationship? What happens to Royal in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the opening "Reward" notices that appear in certain chapters of The Underground Railroad. Why do you think the author includes these notices? How do the notices serve the story? How do the notices change as the novel progresses?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)