|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Sam end up driving trains on the Underground Railroad after he left South Carolina?
2. Ridgeway takes a detour in Tennessee because they encounter a town that is quarantined as a result of what disease?
3. When Sam fled South Carolina, he took a ship headed where?
4. Where does Ridgeway say he is going to capture another slave before returning Cora in "Tennessee"?
5. Where is the Wells' housekeeper from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Royal give to Cora in "Indiana"? Why is this significant?
2. How does the "Wanted" posting differ in "The North" from the ones in previous chapters?
3. Who are Ridgeway's assistants and how are they described?
4. What is "Manifest Destiny" and how is it discussed in the novel?
5. What news does Sam relate during his visit in "Indiana"?
6. How does the narrative transition in the chapter titled "Caesar"?
7. How did Martin become involved with the Underground Railroad?
8. How does Cora's relationship with Ethel evolve during her stay with the Wells?
9. Who speaks at the community meeting in "Indiana"? What do they say?
10. How does Cora manage to escape from Ridgeway in "The North"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of the Randall plantation. How many slaves work on the plantation? How are the circumstances of the slaves on the plantation illustrated? How do the circumstances on the plantation change after the death of Old Randall and James Randall?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of Valentine farm. Where is the farm located? Who works the land on the farm? How are the living conditions on the farm described?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the Underground Railroad in the novel. Why do you think the author has chosen to present the Underground Railroad as a literal railroad? How does this presentation alter history? How is the railroad accessed by the escaping slaves?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)