|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who teaches the lessons that Cora attends in "Indiana"?
2. Where is the family from that Sam has just delivered to Valentine Farm when he arrives "Indiana"?
3. Why was Cora taken to the Underground Railroad station blindfolded after Ridgeway was attacked?
4. What was the alias that Sam used as a slave catcher after he left South Carolina?
5. How does Cora escape in the Underground Railroad in "The North"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who speaks at the community meeting in "Indiana"? What do they say?
2. What does Ridgeway tell Cora about Caesar in "Tennessee"?
3. How are the fall festival activiities described at Valentine farm?
4. How does Cora manage to escape from Ridgeway in "The North"?
5. How does the "Wanted" posting differ in "The North" from the ones in previous chapters?
6. How does the narrator describe Caesar's feelings toward Mr. Fletcher and Mrs. Garner in "Caesar"?
7. What gift does Royal give to Cora in "Indiana"? Why is this significant?
8. How is the setting described when Cora exits the train station in "The North"?
9. What information does Martin relate to Cora about North Carolina politics during their visits?
10. Why does Ridgeway take Cora into Tennessee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Valentine farm. Where is the farm located? Who works the land on the farm? How are the living conditions on the farm described?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of irony in The Underground Railroad. What are examples of verbal irony used in the novel? What are examples of dramatic and situational irony? What purpose do these examples serve to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the tone, mood, and narrative style in The Underground Railroad. How does the author develop the tone and mood of the narrative in the first chapters? From what tense and perspective is the narrative related? Why do you think the author has chosen this narrative style?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)