|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the "negro girl" that is sought on the reward poster that opens "Tennessee"?
2. How many students are in the schoolroom where Cora attends classes in "Indiana"?
3. Where is the family from that Sam has just delivered to Valentine Farm when he arrives "Indiana"?
4. What does Mabel eat when she makes it to the island in the swamp after fleeing the Randall plantation in "Mabel"?
5. What is the name of Molly's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cora's relationship with Ethel evolve during her stay with the Wells?
2. How does Cora make her way outside of the Underground Railroad in "The North"?
3. What gift does Royal give to Cora in "Indiana"? Why is this significant?
4. What happens during the ambush at Ridgeway's wagon in "Tennessee"?
5. What are the "close calls" that could have led to Cora's discovery in "North Carolina"?
6. What is significant about the allusions to Gulliver's Travels in The Underground Railroad?
7. Who speaks at the community meeting in "Indiana"? What do they say?
8. What happens during the ambush at the community meeting in the end of "Indiana"?
9. What does Cora note about the landscape as she crosses through Tennessee?
10. How is the setting described when Cora exits the train station in "The North"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the opening "Reward" notices that appear in certain chapters of The Underground Railroad. Why do you think the author includes these notices? How do the notices serve the story? How do the notices change as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Dr. Stevens in the novel. Where does Cora encounter Dr. Stevens? How does he treat Cora? What does the reader learn about Stevens's nighttime activities? Why are these activities significant in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of Valentine farm. Where is the farm located? Who works the land on the farm? How are the living conditions on the farm described?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)