|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What saloon does Sam warn Caesar and Cora away from in "South Carolina"?
2. Who is the owner of the saloon the Drift?
3. What inhabitant of the Hob does not speak because her tongue was cut out by the previous owner in "Georgia"?
4. Who follows Cora and Caesar when they make their escape from the plantation?
5. What procedure does the doctor at the new hospital suggest to Cora in "South Carolina"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cora manage to reach Sam when she learns she is close to being caught in "South Carolina"? What does Sam tell her?
2. Discuss the narrative style of the novel. From what point of view is the narrative related? What effects does this narrative style have?
3. How is the "Underground Railroad" itself presented in the novel?
4. What do Cora and Caesar discuss when they first meet at the social in "South Carolina"?
5. What is Cora's job at the Museum of Natural Wonders?
6. Describe the setting of the Hob. Who lives in this location?
7. What does Ajarry's garden plot mean to Cora?
8. What does Cora find when she arrives at the next station in "North Carolina"?
9. How does Cora manage to escape the train station in the beginning of "North Carolina"?
10. What led to Cora becoming a "stray"? What does this term mean in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the character of Arnold Ridgeway in The Underground Railroad. What led Ridgeway to become a patroller and slave-catcher? For how long has he done this work? Why is he called to the Randall plantation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the historical context of The Underground Railroad. What were the laws and regulations like in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Indiana at this time historically? How important is it to understand the historical context in order to follow the novel's plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and physical abuse in The Underground Railroad. What abuses does Cora experience as a slave? What abuses does she experience after reaching freedom? What symbolism relates to these themes?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)