|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Arnold Ridgeway when he took up with the patrollers?
2. What does Sam say the patients that think they are being treated for blood ailments are really being subjected to in "South Carolina"?
3. What county is listed on the wanted notice that begins "North Carolina"?
4. Who follows Cora and Caesar when they make their escape from the plantation?
5. Who is the cruel red-headed overseer at Randall plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cora's job at the Museum of Natural Wonders?
2. What happens when Cora goes to the train station in the end of "South Carolina"?
3. What does Cora find when she arrives at the next station in "North Carolina"?
4. Who is Mr. Lumbly and how is his home described?
5. How does Cora come to feel about her mother as the novel progresses?
6. How is the "Underground Railroad" itself presented in the novel?
7. What is Ajarry's relationship with the protagonist? How is her character described in the novel?
8. How is Cora's experience at the new hospital in South Carolina described?
9. Who is Martin Wells and how is his character described?
10. What is revealed of Dr. Stevens's secret nighttime activities in "Stevens"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of racism and history in The Underground Railroad. How does the author develop these themes through character and setting? What symbolism relates to these themes? How does the author explore these themes through action and plot development?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Ajarry and Mabel in the novel. How is Mabel similar to her mother? How is she different? What do the actions of these characters reveal about them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of Martin and Ethel Wells. Where does Cora meet these characters? How do these characters help Cora? What relationships do they form? What becomes of Martin and Ethel?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)