|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What county is listed on the wanted notice that begins "North Carolina"?
(a) Granville County.
(b) Anderson County.
(c) Richmond County.
(d) Clark County.
2. How old is Maisie when Cora stops working for the Andersons?
3. How did Ajarry first attempt suicide while on the slave ship?
(a) By hanging.
(b) By slapping a captain.
(c) By denying herself food.
(d) By cutting her wrists.
4. What does the doctor say led to James's death in "Georgia"?
(a) Heart failure.
(c) Kidney failure.
(d) Brain aneurysm.
5. On what date is the "Thirty Dollar Reward" listed in "Georgia"?
(a) June 12, 1826.
(b) July 18, 1820.
(c) January 14, 1855.
(d) March 10, 1840.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman that Cora saw screaming in the street on the night of the social?
2. What is the date on the reward poster that opens "South Carolina"?
3. What is the third room where Cora works at the museum in "South Carolina"?
4. What is the name of the station master's daughter who visits him while Cora hides in the attic in "North Carolina"?
5. What does Cora name the brown mutt that she watches from the attic of the station master's house in "North Carolina"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cora manage to reach Sam when she learns she is close to being caught in "South Carolina"? What does Sam tell her?
2. Who is Martin Wells and how is his character described?
3. What do Cora and Caesar discuss when they first meet at the social in "South Carolina"?
4. How are Cora and Caesar greeted when they arrive in South Carolina?
5. What happens to Lovey during the escape from the Randall plantation?
6. What led to Cora becoming a "stray"? What does this term mean in the narrative?
7. Why does Sam suggest that Cora and Caesar need to get back on the train going north in "South Carolina"?
8. What is Ridgeway's association with the Randall plantation?
9. What happens when Cora goes to the train station in the end of "South Carolina"?
10. Discuss the narrative style of the novel. From what point of view is the narrative related? What effects does this narrative style have?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)