|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sam say the patients that think they are being treated for blood ailments are really being subjected to in "South Carolina"?
(a) They are being used as part of a study on cancer.
(b) They are being used as part of a study on yellow fever.
(c) They are being used as part of a study on sickle cell anemia.
(d) They are being used as part of a study on syphillis.
2. What is the name of the station master's wife in "North Carolina"?
3. Where was James when he fell ill negotiating with a delegation of trading agents from Liverpool in "Georgia"?
(a) Little Rock.
(d) New Orleans.
4. Who has signed the reward poster that opens "South Carolina"?
(a) James R. Rosewell.
(b) Benj P. Wells.
(c) Elijah Lander.
(d) Martin Wells.
5. Where did Ridgeway travel to in order to retreive the slave named Betsy in "Ridgeway"?
(a) New York, New York.
(b) Trenton, New Jersey.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building does the staton master tell Cora and Caesar to use as a landmark in "South Carolina"?
2. On what slave ship was Ajarry taken from her homeland?
3. Who is the doctor that told Sam about the strange goings on with African Americans?
4. Who was Caesar's kindly Northern owner that taught him to read?
5. What is the date of the wanted notice that opens "North Carolina"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the two white people that prepared Caesar to run? How did they prepare him?
2. How is the "Underground Railroad" itself presented in the novel?
3. What led to the beating that Cora received from Terrance?
4. How does Cora manage to reach Sam when she learns she is close to being caught in "South Carolina"? What does Sam tell her?
5. What is Ajarry's relationship with the protagonist? How is her character described in the novel?
6. Discuss the narrative style of the novel. From what point of view is the narrative related? What effects does this narrative style have?
7. Describe the setting of the Hob. Who lives in this location?
8. How are Cora and Caesar greeted when they arrive in South Carolina?
9. Who is Mr. Lumbly and how is his home described?
10. What is Ridgeway's association with the Randall plantation?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)