|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where were Ajarry and the other slaves taken upon arriving in America to be certified clear of illness?
(a) Staten Island.
(b) Ellis Island.
(c) Sullivan's Island.
(d) Anderson Island.
2. For how long does the narrator say the station master and his wife have been married in "North Carolina"?
(a) 35 years.
(b) 12 years.
(c) 19 years.
(d) 22 years.
3. Who is the owner of the saloon the Drift?
4. What ward of the dormitory is relegated to those with "nervous disorders" in "South Carolina"?
(a) Number 40.
(b) Number 20.
(c) Number 60.
(d) Number 13.
5. How does the station agent transport Cora to his home in "North Carolina"?
(a) By hiding her in a wagon.
(b) By dressing her as a white woman.
(c) By leading her in chains.
(d) By hiding her in a wheelbarrow.
6. Where does Cora learn the residents of Number 40 have been taken when they disappear in "South Carolina"?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To a new dorm.
(c) To their former masters.
(d) To the fields.
7. How far did Big Anthony make it from the Randall plantation before he was discovered?
(a) 10 miles.
(b) 26 miles.
(c) 34 miles.
(d) 56 miles.
8. Who is the curator of the museum where Cora goes to work in "South Carolina"?
(a) Mr. Hicks.
(b) Mr. Wells.
(c) Mr. Henry.
(d) Mr. Fields.
9. On the reward poster in the beginning of "South Carolina," the author states, "I have been informed she is lurking in and about" what location?
10. What is the date on the reward poster that opens "South Carolina"?
(a) September 2, 1826.
(b) July 18, 1820.
(c) January 5, 1812.
(d) March 17, 1845.
11. What was the profession of Arnold Ridgeway's father?
(a) He was a blacksmith.
(b) He was a patroller.
(c) He was a butcher.
(d) He was a banker.
12. Why does the train conductor tell Cora he cannot take him with her when he drops her in "North Carolina"?
(a) Because he is in maintenance.
(b) Because he is going back south.
(c) Because the patrollers are out.
(d) Because the train is faulty.
13. Where was Ajarry's first husband sold to a sugar plantation?
(a) In Louisiana.
(b) In South Carolina.
(c) In Florida.
(d) In North Carolina.
14. Where does the narrator say Mary works in "Georgia"?
(a) The milk house.
(b) The estate kitchen.
(c) The chicken house.
(d) The library.
15. On what road does Cora observe the hanging bodies of lynched escaped slaves in "North Carolina"?
(a) The Forgotten Road.
(b) The Trail of Tears.
(c) The Freedom Trail.
(d) The Lost Highway.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Ajarry give birth to?
2. What gift has Caesar brought to Sam when he and Cora are summoned to his house in "South Carolina"?
3. What procedure does the doctor at the new hospital suggest to Cora in "South Carolina"?
4. Who is the teacher that teaches Cora and others to read and write in "South Carolina"?
5. What were the name of Old Randall's mastiffs?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)