|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who insists that Clement travel with the Duke?
2. Who does the Duke visit on December 22nd?
3. What does the Duke steal from the professor?
4. During "From His Grace's Journal to Mrs. Pledger's Account," who joins the Duke in the study?
5. What does the Duke learn while visiting with a professor at the university?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Duke think his life has been wasted?
2. Why does the Duke add Fowler's bust to his shrine?
3. What does Conner say about the Duke's phantom boy?
4. What happens in Pin Hole Cave?
5. How does the housemaid's account provide a glimpse into the Duke's personality as a child?
6. What is significant about the interactions between the Duke and Mr. Hendley?
7. Why does the Duke look through old family things?
8. What can searching for clues outside of the home help the Duke do?
9. How does the process of trepanning work?
10. What happens when the Duke allows locals to use his property?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Duke clearly has an interesting self concept. Analyze the Duke's self concept. Determine how the Duke developed this self concept and what steps he took to maintain it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of security. In particular, the Duke gains a sense of security with the map of his estate. Explore the reasoning behind this feeling and the impact it has on the Duke's desire to live a fuller life during his last days.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the Duke's reputation among the townspeople compared to his actual qualities. Consider how this dynamic serves to develop the characters of the Duke and the various townspeople he comes in contact with and discuss the possibility of the following: If the Duke was more social, do you think there would have been so many rumors about him? What does this say about human nature?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)