|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Conner react to the story of the phantom boy?
2. What does Mr. Hendley and the reader learn about the Duke during his bike ride?
3. During "From His Grace's Journal to Mrs. Pledger's Account," who joins the Duke in the study?
4. Who is Mr. Hendley?
5. Where did Fowler's bust used to sit when the Duke was a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the Duke traveling between January 6-11th?
2. Why does the Duke allow people to skate on the ice but protests to going on the ice with them?
3. What can searching for clues outside of the home help the Duke do?
4. Why is the Duke's visit to Reverend Mellor significant?
5. How does the process of trepanning work?
6. Why does the Duke's staff think he needs an escort while traveling?
7. What in "From His Grace's Journal to Mrs. Pledger's Account" serves to illustrate the Duke's madness?
8. Why does the Duke think his life has been wasted?
9. What happens when the Duke allows locals to use his property?
10. What happens in Pin Hole Cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Duke's staff and some of the townspeople felt the need to protect the Duke from either the outside world or himself. Explore the motivations for this protection. For example, did offering the Duke protection benefit only the Duke or could there have been more selfish reasons for this protection? Offer a discussion and explication for how and why this protection failed.
Essay Topic 2
The way in which the Duke dies provides a twist to this story. Discuss your thoughts on the Duke's death. Analyze why the author chose to have the Duke die by an accidental gunshot rather than another way. Also discuss what clues or evidence provided throughout the book may support the likelihood of this situation surrounding the Duke's death.
Essay Topic 3
It is interesting that the Duke is repulsed by Mr. Snow's appearance. However, the two are very similar. Compare and contrast the Duke and Mr. Snow. Discuss whether the Duke's feelings toward Mr. Snow are warranted.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)