|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the staff and Dr. Cox decide to wait so long to tell the Duke about his friend's death?
2. When might the process of trepanning be used today according to the professor?
3. Who does the Duke decide to visit on December 11th?
4. What does Mr. Hendley agree to?
5. What are the old stables on the property used for?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of mortality in this story, specifically as it is represented by the lifeless tree. Analyze the Duke's feelings about the tree and provide a discussion on the reasons why the Duke is so interested in the lifeless tree.
Essay Topic 2
It is clear throughout the story that the Duke led a very isolated life. However, there are indications of townspeople who seemed to like, or at least tolerate, the Duke. Compare and contrast the various relationships the Duke had with the other characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
There is an indication throughout the story that the Duke had a difficult childhood. Explore the relationship the Duke had with his parents. Discuss the influence this relationship had on the development of the Duke's adult personality also compare and contrast the Duke's upbringing with this current behavior and attitudes. How do these differences play a role in how the Duke thinks one should view the world?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)