|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who insists that Clement travel with the Duke?
2. Why did the staff and Dr. Cox decide to wait so long to tell the Duke about his friend's death?
3. What does the Duke steal from the professor?
4. When might the process of trepanning be used today according to the professor?
5. When does the Duke travel to Edinburgh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting like in Camera Obscura?
2. What happens when the Duke allows locals to use his property?
3. Why does the Duke's staff think he needs an escort while traveling?
4. Why is the Duke's visit to Reverend Mellor significant?
5. What reduces the Duke's anxiety while he is in Camera Obscura?
6. How does the process of trepanning work?
7. What is significant about the interactions between the Duke and Mr. Hendley?
8. Why doesn't the Duke find out about Snow's death until after the funeral?
9. Why does the Duke add Fowler's bust to his shrine?
10. How does the housemaid's account provide a glimpse into the Duke's personality as a child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Duke complained of a number of illnesses throughout the story. Compare and contrast the Duke's assessment of his illnesses with Dr. Cox's assessment of his illnesses.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of aging is present in this story. Analyze how the author decided to present this theme. Discuss the literary technique(s) he used and determine if these techniques were effective in portraying the Duke.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of mortality in this story, specifically as it is represented by the lifeless tree. Analyze the Duke's feelings about the tree and provide a discussion on the reasons why the Duke is so interested in the lifeless tree.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)