|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Duke wish to transport some plates to from the kitchen?
2. During "From His Grace's Journal to Mrs. Pledger's Account," who joins the Duke in the study?
3. What does the Duke learn could be looked at from different perspective in "From His Grace's Journal to Mrs. Pledger's Account?"
4. Who recounts three anecdotes involving the Duke?
5. What does the Duke do while the locals are on his property?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Duke add Fowler's bust to his shrine?
2. What does the Duke learn while traveling with others in his room that is in sharp contrast to the fellowship felt while ice skating a few weeks before?
3. Why doesn't the Duke find out about Snow's death until after the funeral?
4. What is the setting like in Camera Obscura?
5. Why does the Duke allow people to skate on the ice but protests to going on the ice with them?
6. Why does the Duke look through old family things?
7. Why does the Duke think his life has been wasted?
8. What happens in Pin Hole Cave?
9. What does Conner say about the Duke's phantom boy?
10. Why does just the presence of others reduce the loneliness the Duke feels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of aging is present in this story. Analyze how the author decided to present this theme. Discuss the literary technique(s) he used and determine if these techniques were effective in portraying the Duke.
Essay Topic 2
The Duke complained of a number of illnesses throughout the story. Compare and contrast the Duke's assessment of his illnesses with Dr. Cox's assessment of his illnesses.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the Duke's need to remember his past. Be sure to discuss why the Duke does not remember some things in his past, how he goes about remembering his past, and the effect of the knowledge of his past on the Duke's mental and physical health.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)