|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins the Duke on the train?
2. When does the Duke find out about a friend's death?
3. What does the Duke do with Fowler's bust now that his father is dead?
4. How does the Duke feel skating with the others?
5. When does the Duke sense the phantom boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the recurring dream discussed in the January 28th journal entry?
2. What is the setting like in Camera Obscura?
3. Why doesn't the Duke find out about Snow's death until after the funeral?
4. How does the process of trepanning work?
5. What reduces the Duke's anxiety while he is in Camera Obscura?
6. What happens when the Duke visits Holbeck village?
7. What does the Duke learn while traveling with others in his room that is in sharp contrast to the fellowship felt while ice skating a few weeks before?
8. Why does just the presence of others reduce the loneliness the Duke feels?
9. What happens when the Duke allows locals to use his property?
10. What is included in the Duke's shrine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of mortality in this story, specifically as it is represented by the lifeless tree. Analyze the Duke's feelings about the tree and provide a discussion on the reasons why the Duke is so interested in the lifeless tree.
Essay Topic 2
It is clear throughout the story that the Duke led a very isolated life. However, there are indications of townspeople who seemed to like, or at least tolerate, the Duke. Compare and contrast the various relationships the Duke had with the other characters in the story.
Essay Topic 3
The Duke's staff and some of the townspeople felt the need to protect the Duke from either the outside world or himself. Explore the motivations for this protection. For example, did offering the Duke protection benefit only the Duke or could there have been more selfish reasons for this protection? Offer a discussion and explication for how and why this protection failed.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)