|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Duke able to be with many layers of clothing while ice skating?
2. In "From His Grace's Journal to Mrs. Pledger's Account," what is the significance of finding the bust?
3. How does the Duke learn to relieve his loneliness in "From His Grace's Journal to Mrs. Pledger's Account?"
4. What type of assistance does the Duke request of a housemaid in one account discussed in "From His Grace's Journal to Housemaid's Account?"
5. Who dies on December 8th?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Duke visits Holbeck village?
2. What is significant about the interactions between the Duke and Mr. Hendley?
3. What reduces the Duke's anxiety while he is in Camera Obscura?
4. Why does the Duke's staff think he needs an escort while traveling?
5. What is significant about the Duke traveling between January 6-11th?
6. What is included in the Duke's shrine?
7. What is the recurring dream discussed in the January 28th journal entry?
8. Why doesn't the Duke find out about Snow's death until after the funeral?
9. Why does the Duke look through old family things?
10. What does the Duke learn while traveling with others in his room that is in sharp contrast to the fellowship felt while ice skating a few weeks before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the Duke's reoccurring dream. Discuss the elements of the dream that effect the Duke the most and those elements that shed light on the Duke's life and character.
Essay Topic 2
The Duke clearly has an interesting self concept. Analyze the Duke's self concept. Determine how the Duke developed this self concept and what steps he took to maintain it.
Essay Topic 3
The Duke complained of a number of illnesses throughout the story. Compare and contrast the Duke's assessment of his illnesses with Dr. Cox's assessment of his illnesses.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)