|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duke steal from the professor?
2. When might the process of trepanning be used today according to the professor?
3. What in particular upsets the Duke about his life?
4. What does the Duke insist on by allowing Clement to travel with him?
5. What does the professor say about the process of trepanning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Duke's staff think he needs an escort while traveling?
2. What is included in the Duke's shrine?
3. How does the housemaid's account provide a glimpse into the Duke's personality as a child?
4. What is significant about the Duke traveling between January 6-11th?
5. What does the fellowship created on the ice teach the Duke?
6. Why does the Duke look through old family things?
7. What reduces the Duke's anxiety while he is in Camera Obscura?
8. Why is the Duke's visit to Reverend Mellor significant?
9. What is the setting like in Camera Obscura?
10. Why doesn't the Duke find out about Snow's death until after the funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the Duke's reputation among the townspeople compared to his actual qualities. Consider how this dynamic serves to develop the characters of the Duke and the various townspeople he comes in contact with and discuss the possibility of the following: If the Duke was more social, do you think there would have been so many rumors about him? What does this say about human nature?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the Duke's need to remember his past. Be sure to discuss why the Duke does not remember some things in his past, how he goes about remembering his past, and the effect of the knowledge of his past on the Duke's mental and physical health.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the Duke's reoccurring dream. Discuss the elements of the dream that effect the Duke the most and those elements that shed light on the Duke's life and character.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)