|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mental illness is suggested by the Duke's mood swings?
2. When does the Duke use the tunnel system for the first time?
3. What does the Duke think a bad night's sleep leaves?
4. How long does the tunnel system take to build?
5. What does the Duke think about Mr. Bird's gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Duke get around in his underground tunnel system?
2. How could one explain the rumor of the Duke being horribly deformed?
3. Who are the Duke's employees that add information in "From His Graces Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
4. Why does the Duke think he must escape his estate quickly?
5. Why is the Duke interested in one particular tree on his estate?
6. What does the Duke say about his grooming regime?
7. Describe the Duke's theory on cleanliness.
8. Why does it seem that Mr. Bird does not mind the Duke's eccentricities?
9. What is the significance of learning that the gamekeeper has a dog?
10. Based on the scene in the laundry room, how does Mrs. Pladger feel about the Duke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the Duke's thought process behind conducting trepanning on himself. Include in your discussion information about this process, what the Duke hoped to accomplish, and what he actually accomplished.
Essay Topic 2
The Duke complained of a number of illnesses throughout the story. Compare and contrast the Duke's assessment of his illnesses with Dr. Cox's assessment of his illnesses.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the Duke's reputation among the townspeople compared to his actual qualities. Consider how this dynamic serves to develop the characters of the Duke and the various townspeople he comes in contact with and discuss the possibility of the following: If the Duke was more social, do you think there would have been so many rumors about him? What does this say about human nature?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)