|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duke do on the morning of September 30th?
2. What is the job title of Mr. Grimshaw?
3. What is Mr. Snow's condition?
4. Who is the Duke's former gardener?
5. How long has the Duke been going bald?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Duke so horrified by Mr. Snow's appearance?
2. How does the Duke get around in his underground tunnel system?
3. What is the second part of the Duke's journal entry for October 16th?
4. What is the purpose of the underground tunnel system?
5. How large are the tunnels in the underground tunnel system?
6. Why does the Duke think he must escape his estate quickly?
7. Based on the scene in the laundry room, how does Mrs. Pladger feel about the Duke?
8. How could one explain the rumor of the Duke being horribly deformed?
9. Who are the Duke's employees that add information in "From His Graces Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
10. What does the Duke feel as he walks through the tunnel system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A reader can look at this story in terms of milestones. Explore the various milestones during the last days of the Duke. Additionally, these milesstones each had a profound effect on the Duke. Analyze how these milestones served to either provide the Duke with information, change his thinking or mental state, or produce some other effect on the Duke.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Duke's mental state prior to learning about phrenology to his mental state after leaning about phrenology. Include your assessment of the importance of this discovery.
Essay Topic 3
Thinking back throughout the story, compare the notion of trepanning with the Duke's experience at Pin Hole cave and The Camera Obscura. Explore this connection and offer an explanation for the Duke performing trepanning on himself based on these previous experiences.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)