|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mr. Bird meet the Duke?
2. What is one of the rumors spread about the Duke?
3. What are the characters who the Duke meets on November 2 doing?
4. What does the Duke encounter on the morning of September 30?
5. According to the Duke, what determines the way one's life unravels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Cox think about the Duke?
2. Who are the Duke's employees that add information in "From His Graces Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
3. Why does it seem that Mr. Bird does not mind the Duke's eccentricities?
4. What is the purpose of the underground tunnel system?
5. What does the Duke feel as he walks through the tunnel system?
6. How does the Duke get around in his underground tunnel system?
7. How large are the tunnels in the underground tunnel system?
8. What does the Duke think about when reminiscing about Fanny Adelaide?
9. How is the Duke's imagination revealed with the soap bubbles in the laundry room sink?
10. What do the Oakely sisters tell the Duke concerning the beef essence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is an indication throughout the story that the Duke had a difficult childhood. Explore the relationship the Duke had with his parents. Discuss the influence this relationship had on the development of the Duke's adult personality also compare and contrast the Duke's upbringing with this current behavior and attitudes. How do these differences play a role in how the Duke thinks one should view the world?
Essay Topic 2
The way in which the Duke dies provides a twist to this story. Discuss your thoughts on the Duke's death. Analyze why the author chose to have the Duke die by an accidental gunshot rather than another way. Also discuss what clues or evidence provided throughout the book may support the likelihood of this situation surrounding the Duke's death.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of aging is present in this story. Analyze how the author decided to present this theme. Discuss the literary technique(s) he used and determine if these techniques were effective in portraying the Duke.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)