|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the Duke been going bald?
2. Based on the first chapter, "From His Grace's Journal to Mr. Bird's Account" what could be said about the Duke's mental health?
3. What does the Duke's memory of the sparrow make him think of?
4. What is the name of one of the Duke's dogs?
5. Who does the Duke meet on October 5th?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Duke's theory on cleanliness.
2. Why is the Duke interested in one particular tree on his estate?
3. What is the significance of reading Mr. Bird's point of view within the Duke's journal?
4. Why does the Duke think he must escape his estate quickly?
5. How is the Duke's imagination revealed with the soap bubbles in the laundry room sink?
6. How is the map that Mr. Bird gives the Duke Flawed?
7. How does the Duke get around in his underground tunnel system?
8. Why is the Duke so horrified by Mr. Snow's appearance?
9. What does the Duke say about his grooming regime?
10. What thoughts does the memory of a dead sparrow bring to the Duke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is interesting that the Duke is repulsed by Mr. Snow's appearance. However, the two are very similar. Compare and contrast the Duke and Mr. Snow. Discuss whether the Duke's feelings toward Mr. Snow are warranted.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of mortality in this story, specifically as it is represented by the lifeless tree. Analyze the Duke's feelings about the tree and provide a discussion on the reasons why the Duke is so interested in the lifeless tree.
Essay Topic 3
The Duke clearly has an interesting self concept. Analyze the Duke's self concept. Determine how the Duke developed this self concept and what steps he took to maintain it.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)