|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Bowen admit to doing at the pub?
2. What does the Duke admit to experiencing?
3. What does the Duke think a bad night's sleep leaves?
4. What about two young boys impresses the Duke?
5. What is the Duke's reputation based on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of reading Mr. Bird's point of view within the Duke's journal?
2. Why does it seem that Mr. Bird does not mind the Duke's eccentricities?
3. Why is the Duke interested in one particular tree on his estate?
4. How could one explain the rumor of the Duke being horribly deformed?
5. What is the second part of the Duke's journal entry for October 16th?
6. How is the Duke's imagination revealed with the soap bubbles in the laundry room sink?
7. Based on the scene in the laundry room, how does Mrs. Pladger feel about the Duke?
8. Why does the Duke think he must escape his estate quickly?
9. What comparisons can be made between the Duke and the condition of the leafless trees?
10. What is the purpose of the underground tunnel system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the Duke's reputation among the townspeople compared to his actual qualities. Consider how this dynamic serves to develop the characters of the Duke and the various townspeople he comes in contact with and discuss the possibility of the following: If the Duke was more social, do you think there would have been so many rumors about him? What does this say about human nature?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the Duke's need to remember his past. Be sure to discuss why the Duke does not remember some things in his past, how he goes about remembering his past, and the effect of the knowledge of his past on the Duke's mental and physical health.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the Duke's reoccurring dream. Discuss the elements of the dream that effect the Duke the most and those elements that shed light on the Duke's life and character.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)