|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the Duke use the tunnel system for the first time?
2. What does the Duke think a bad night's sleep leaves?
3. What does the Duke's irrational fear of his diminishing health suggest?
4. Who does the Duke meet on November 2 while walking home from the post office?
5. How long does the tunnel system take to build?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the underground tunnel system?
2. How could one explain the rumor of the Duke being horribly deformed?
3. What does the Duke say about his grooming regime?
4. How is the Duke's imagination revealed with the soap bubbles in the laundry room sink?
5. What do the Oakely sisters tell the Duke concerning the beef essence?
6. What thoughts does the memory of a dead sparrow bring to the Duke?
7. Why is the Duke so horrified by Mr. Snow's appearance?
8. What is the significance of reading Mr. Bird's point of view within the Duke's journal?
9. Why is the Duke interested in one particular tree on his estate?
10. Who are the Duke's employees that add information in "From His Graces Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Duke's staff and some of the townspeople felt the need to protect the Duke from either the outside world or himself. Explore the motivations for this protection. For example, did offering the Duke protection benefit only the Duke or could there have been more selfish reasons for this protection? Offer a discussion and explication for how and why this protection failed.
Essay Topic 2
The Duke clearly has an interesting self concept. Analyze the Duke's self concept. Determine how the Duke developed this self concept and what steps he took to maintain it.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Duke's mental state prior to learning about phrenology to his mental state after leaning about phrenology. Include your assessment of the importance of this discovery.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)