|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of the Duke suggests mental instability?
2. How does the Duke feel about what he sees on the morning of September 30th?
3. What does Mr. Bird know about why the tunnels were built?
4. Whose accounts supplement the Duke's entries in "From His Grace's Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
5. What is the date of the last entry of "From His Grace's Journal to Mr Bird's Account?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How large are the tunnels in the underground tunnel system?
2. How is the map that Mr. Bird gives the Duke Flawed?
3. Why does it seem that Mr. Bird does not mind the Duke's eccentricities?
4. What becomes more noticeable to the Duke as he ages?
5. Why is the Duke interested in one particular tree on his estate?
6. How could one explain the rumor of the Duke being horribly deformed?
7. Why do the townspeople spread rumors about the Duke?
8. What does the Duke say about his grooming regime?
9. Who are the Duke's employees that add information in "From His Graces Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
10. What does the Duke think about when reminiscing about Fanny Adelaide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A reader can look at this story in terms of milestones. Explore the various milestones during the last days of the Duke. Additionally, these milesstones each had a profound effect on the Duke. Analyze how these milestones served to either provide the Duke with information, change his thinking or mental state, or produce some other effect on the Duke.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the Duke's reoccurring dream. Discuss the elements of the dream that effect the Duke the most and those elements that shed light on the Duke's life and character.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the Duke's reputation among the townspeople compared to his actual qualities. Consider how this dynamic serves to develop the characters of the Duke and the various townspeople he comes in contact with and discuss the possibility of the following: If the Duke was more social, do you think there would have been so many rumors about him? What does this say about human nature?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)