|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about this job from Mr. Bird's standpoint?
2. Why is the Duke hesitant to seek help from his parents as a child?
3. What mental illness is suggested by the Duke's mood swings?
4. What is the Duke's reputation based on?
5. What does Mr. Bird draw on to provide the Duke with the necessary information for his completed job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Duke's theory on cleanliness.
2. What does the Duke think about when reminiscing about Fanny Adelaide?
3. What is the significance of reading Mr. Bird's point of view within the Duke's journal?
4. How does the Duke die?
5. What information do the accounts of Mr. Grimshaw and Bowen provide the reader?
6. How could one explain the rumor of the Duke being horribly deformed?
7. What is the recurring dream discussed in the January 28th journal entry?
8. What does the Duke say about his grooming regime?
9. What is the significance of learning that the gamekeeper has a dog?
10. What does Dr. Cox think about the Duke?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the Duke's reoccurring dream. Discuss the elements of the dream that effect the Duke the most and those elements that shed light on the Duke's life and character.
Essay Topic 2
The Duke complained of a number of illnesses throughout the story. Compare and contrast the Duke's assessment of his illnesses with Dr. Cox's assessment of his illnesses.
Essay Topic 3
It is interesting that the Duke is repulsed by Mr. Snow's appearance. However, the two are very similar. Compare and contrast the Duke and Mr. Snow. Discuss whether the Duke's feelings toward Mr. Snow are warranted.
This section contains 1,594 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)