|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose accounts supplement the Duke's entries in "From His Grace's Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
2. When does the Duke write about his grooming regime?
3. What is the main topic concerning the Duke's grooming regime?
4. What does the Duke want built on his estate?
5. Who does the Duke meet on October 5th?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Duke interested in one particular tree on his estate?
2. What thoughts does the memory of a dead sparrow bring to the Duke?
3. What information do the accounts of Mr. Grimshaw and Bowen provide the reader?
4. Who are the Duke's employees that add information in "From His Graces Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
5. Why do the townspeople spread rumors about the Duke?
6. Describe the Duke's theory on cleanliness.
7. How is the map that Mr. Bird gives the Duke Flawed?
8. What is the purpose of the underground tunnel system?
9. What is the second part of the Duke's journal entry for October 16th?
10. What comparisons can be made between the Duke and the condition of the leafless trees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of aging is present in this story. Analyze how the author decided to present this theme. Discuss the literary technique(s) he used and determine if these techniques were effective in portraying the Duke.
Essay Topic 2
The Duke complained of a number of illnesses throughout the story. Compare and contrast the Duke's assessment of his illnesses with Dr. Cox's assessment of his illnesses.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the Duke's discussion of going bald? This discussion is directly related to the theme of death. Explore how this discussion fits into this theme and offer suggestions for why the author chose this as one way to represent the theme of death.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)