|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose point of view is added in after the Duke's journal entries?
2. What does the Duke describe in the October 14th journal entry?
3. How might the Duke appear to an outsider?
4. What is the Duke looking for on the morning of October 14th?
5. Who visits the Duke October 10th to discuss a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Duke get around in his underground tunnel system?
2. Why do the townspeople spread rumors about the Duke?
3. Describe the Duke's theory on cleanliness.
4. Why does the Duke think he must escape his estate quickly?
5. How does the Duke feel during his carriage rides?
6. Why is the Duke interested in one particular tree on his estate?
7. What is the purpose of the underground tunnel system?
8. What does the Duke think about when reminiscing about Fanny Adelaide?
9. How is the Duke's imagination revealed with the soap bubbles in the laundry room sink?
10. What is the significance of learning that the gamekeeper has a dog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Duke's staff and some of the townspeople felt the need to protect the Duke from either the outside world or himself. Explore the motivations for this protection. For example, did offering the Duke protection benefit only the Duke or could there have been more selfish reasons for this protection? Offer a discussion and explication for how and why this protection failed.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the Duke's thought process behind conducting trepanning on himself. Include in your discussion information about this process, what the Duke hoped to accomplish, and what he actually accomplished.
Essay Topic 3
It is clear throughout the story that the Duke led a very isolated life. However, there are indications of townspeople who seemed to like, or at least tolerate, the Duke. Compare and contrast the various relationships the Duke had with the other characters in the story.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)