|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date of the first journal entry?
2. What technique of remembering is successful for the Duke?
3. Who does the Duke meet on November 2 while walking home from the post office?
4. Based on the first chapter, "From His Grace's Journal to Mr. Bird's Account" what could be said about the Duke's mental health?
5. What does Fanny Adelaide do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How large are the tunnels in the underground tunnel system?
2. What does the Duke say about his grooming regime?
3. Based on the scene in the laundry room, how does Mrs. Pladger feel about the Duke?
4. What comparisons can be made between the Duke and the condition of the leafless trees?
5. What does the Duke feel as he walks through the tunnel system?
6. How does the Duke feel during his carriage rides?
7. How could one explain the rumor of the Duke being horribly deformed?
8. Describe the Duke's theory on cleanliness.
9. What is the significance of reading Mr. Bird's point of view within the Duke's journal?
10. What is the purpose of the underground tunnel system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Duke's mental state prior to learning about phrenology to his mental state after leaning about phrenology. Include your assessment of the importance of this discovery.
Essay Topic 2
The Duke's staff and some of the townspeople felt the need to protect the Duke from either the outside world or himself. Explore the motivations for this protection. For example, did offering the Duke protection benefit only the Duke or could there have been more selfish reasons for this protection? Offer a discussion and explication for how and why this protection failed.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the Duke's need to remember his past. Be sure to discuss why the Duke does not remember some things in his past, how he goes about remembering his past, and the effect of the knowledge of his past on the Duke's mental and physical health.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)