Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does the Duke has a fondness for?
2. What does the boy's energy remind the Duke of?
3. What does the Duke want built on his estate?
4. How many tunnels were built?
5. What is the Duke distracted by in the laundry room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the recurring dream discussed in the January 28th journal entry?
2. How is the map that Mr. Bird gives the Duke Flawed?
3. What is the main theme in "From His Grace's Journal to Mr. Walker's Account?"
4. Why does the Duke allow people to skate on the ice but protests to going on the ice with them?
5. How does the Duke get around in his underground tunnel system?
6. Why does the Duke think his life has been wasted?
7. What is significant about the interactions between the Duke and Mr. Hendley?
8. What does the Duke learn while traveling with others in his room that is in sharp contrast to the fellowship felt while ice skating a few weeks before?
9. Who are the Duke's employees that add information in "From His Graces Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
10. Why does the Duke add Fowler's bust to his shrine?
Compare and contrast the Duke's mental state prior to learning about phrenology to his mental state after leaning about phrenology. Include your assessment of the importance of this discovery.
Thinking back throughout the story, compare the notion of trepanning with the Duke's experience at Pin Hole cave and The Camera Obscura. Explore this connection and offer an explanation for the Duke performing trepanning on himself based on these previous experiences.
It is clear throughout the story that the Duke led a very isolated life. However, there are indications of townspeople who seemed to like, or at least tolerate, the Duke. Compare and contrast the various relationships the Duke had with the other characters in the story.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)