|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mental illness is suggested by the Duke's mood swings?
2. Where does Mr. Bird meet the Duke?
3. How long does the tunnel system take to build?
4. What does Mr. Bird draw on to provide the Duke with the necessary information for his completed job?
5. What is unique about this job from Mr. Bird's standpoint?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could one explain the rumor of the Duke being horribly deformed?
2. How does the Duke feel during his carriage rides?
3. What is the purpose of the underground tunnel system?
4. What do the Oakely sisters tell the Duke concerning the beef essence?
5. What does the Duke think about when reminiscing about Fanny Adelaide?
6. What does the Duke think about trying the beef essence?
7. Why is the Duke so horrified by Mr. Snow's appearance?
8. Who are the Duke's employees that add information in "From His Graces Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
9. What is the second part of the Duke's journal entry for October 16th?
10. What is the significance of learning that the gamekeeper has a dog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thinking back throughout the story, compare the notion of trepanning with the Duke's experience at Pin Hole cave and The Camera Obscura. Explore this connection and offer an explanation for the Duke performing trepanning on himself based on these previous experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story the Duke has a number of interactions with others. One interaction in particular is the with two young boys he meets on the street. Explore this interaction, discuss the significance of this meeting, including why the Duke chose to engage the boys in conversation, and what the Duke learned from the boys. Also discuss how this interaction serves to move the story forward.
Essay Topic 3
The Duke complained of a number of illnesses throughout the story. Compare and contrast the Duke's assessment of his illnesses with Dr. Cox's assessment of his illnesses.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)