|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Duke feel about the leafless condition of the trees?
2. What is the condition of Mr. Snow's memories?
3. Who does the Duke visit on October 15th?
4. According to Mr. Bird, what is the Duke's reputation among the townspeople?
5. What is one of the rumors spread about the Duke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Duke think about when reminiscing about Fanny Adelaide?
2. What becomes more noticeable to the Duke as he ages?
3. How large are the tunnels in the underground tunnel system?
4. How is the map that Mr. Bird gives the Duke Flawed?
5. What does the Duke say about his grooming regime?
6. What is the significance of learning that the gamekeeper has a dog?
7. How does the Duke feel during his carriage rides?
8. What is the second part of the Duke's journal entry for October 16th?
9. What do the Oakely sisters tell the Duke concerning the beef essence?
10. What is the purpose of the underground tunnel system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the Duke's need to remember his past. Be sure to discuss why the Duke does not remember some things in his past, how he goes about remembering his past, and the effect of the knowledge of his past on the Duke's mental and physical health.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of mortality in this story, specifically as it is represented by the lifeless tree. Analyze the Duke's feelings about the tree and provide a discussion on the reasons why the Duke is so interested in the lifeless tree.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the Duke's thought process behind conducting trepanning on himself. Include in your discussion information about this process, what the Duke hoped to accomplish, and what he actually accomplished.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)