|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Duke, what determines the way one's life unravels?
2. What is the main topic concerning the Duke's grooming regime?
3. In addition to the woman who rums the laundry room, how many girls work there?
4. What does Mr. Bird know about why the tunnels were built?
5. What does the Duke's memory of the sparrow make him think of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second part of the Duke's journal entry for October 16th?
2. Why is the Duke interested in one particular tree on his estate?
3. Why is the Duke so horrified by Mr. Snow's appearance?
4. What information do the accounts of Mr. Grimshaw and Bowen provide the reader?
5. What is the significance of reading Mr. Bird's point of view within the Duke's journal?
6. What becomes more noticeable to the Duke as he ages?
7. What does the Duke think about when reminiscing about Fanny Adelaide?
8. Who are the Duke's employees that add information in "From His Graces Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
9. What do the Oakely sisters tell the Duke concerning the beef essence?
10. How large are the tunnels in the underground tunnel system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of aging is present in this story. Analyze how the author decided to present this theme. Discuss the literary technique(s) he used and determine if these techniques were effective in portraying the Duke.
Essay Topic 2
The Duke complained of a number of illnesses throughout the story. Compare and contrast the Duke's assessment of his illnesses with Dr. Cox's assessment of his illnesses.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Duke's mental state prior to learning about phrenology to his mental state after leaning about phrenology. Include your assessment of the importance of this discovery.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)