|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Duke wish to transport some plates to from the kitchen?
(a) The dinning area.
(b) His room.
(c) The attic.
(d) The guest house.
2. What begins to manifest in "From His Grace's Journal to Mrs. Pledger's Account?"
(a) The Duke's friendships with others.
(b) The Duke's madness.
(c) The Duke's abillity to love.
(d) The Duke's loneliness.
3. Why does the Duke want to travel alone?
(a) He despises company.
(b) He has no one to travel with.
(c) To prove his independence.
(d) He enjoys being alone.
4. What in particular upsets the Duke about his life?
(a) He is always ill.
(b) He never married.
(c) He hasn't created anything.
(d) He lives alone.
5. Where does Mellor invite the Duke to?
(a) Pin Hole Cave.
(c) Holbeck Village.
(d) Tile Kiln & Low Close wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the staff and Dr. Cox decide to wait so long to tell the Duke about his friend's death?
2. How does the Duke decide to search for clues about himself on December 21st?
3. During "From His Grace's Journal to Mr. Hendley's Account" what does the reader learn about what the Duke thinks of himself?
4. What preoccupies the Duke on December 2, 5, and 7?
5. When does the Duke find out about a friend's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Duke allows locals to use his property?
2. Why does just the presence of others reduce the loneliness the Duke feels?
3. How does the housemaid's account provide a glimpse into the Duke's personality as a child?
4. What reduces the Duke's anxiety while he is in Camera Obscura?
5. Why does the Duke allow people to skate on the ice but protests to going on the ice with them?
6. Why is the Duke's visit to Reverend Mellor significant?
7. Why doesn't the Duke find out about Snow's death until after the funeral?
8. What does the fellowship created on the ice teach the Duke?
9. What is included in the Duke's shrine?
10. What does the Duke learn while traveling with others in his room that is in sharp contrast to the fellowship felt while ice skating a few weeks before?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)