|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Duke want to travel alone?
(a) He has no one to travel with.
(b) To prove his independence.
(c) He enjoys being alone.
(d) He despises company.
2. How does the Duke decide to search for clues about himself on December 21st?
(a) By calling his family.
(b) From the outside of the house.
(c) By reading news clipings.
(d) By intervewing the townspeople.
3. Who does the Duke visit at the university in Edinburgh?
(a) Professor Shear.
(b) Professor Bannister.
(c) Professor Collins.
(d) Professor Baily.
4. Where does Mellor invite the Duke to?
(b) Pin Hole Cave.
(c) Holbeck Village.
(d) Tile Kiln & Low Close wood.
5. When does the Duke sense the phantom boy?
(a) In the attic.
(b) Only in the underground tunnels.
(c) All the time.
(d) When he smokes his father's briar pipe.
6. Who dies on December 8th?
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Snow.
(c) Mrs. Pledger.
(d) Mr. Bird.
7. What does the Duke do while the locals are on his property?
(a) Watches them.
(b) Yells at them.
(d) Joins them.
8. What does Mellor show the Duke at breakfast?
(a) A map.
(c) Blue prints.
9. In "From His Grace's Journal to Mrs. Pledger's Account," what is the significance of finding the bust?
(a) It leads to the Duke madness.
(b) It is the link between him and another family.
(c) It is the proof for his sanity.
(d) It provides the Duke with answers about his family.
10. What does the Duke insist on by allowing Clement to travel with him?
(a) He pretends not to know the Duke.
(b) He travel in a seperate carriage.
(c) He stays in the next town.
(d) He comes only for one day.
11. In another story told by the housemaid, who does the Duke ask to help him with the dumbwaiter?
(a) The housemaid.
(d) The butler.
12. In the story from the Duke's childhood as told by the housemaid, once the Duke has a cart, what does he ask the housemaid to do with it?
(a) Push him around in it.
(b) Take the cart to his room.
(c) Pull off the wheels of the cart.
(d) Move the dishes from one room to the next.
13. Who does Reverend Mellor suggest the Duke pay a visit to?
(b) The Mayor.
(c) An expert in Edinburgh.
(d) A man in Holbeck Village.
14. What does Clements force the Duke to do?
(a) Take his medince.
(b) Take a bath.
(c) Join the locals in ice skating.
(d) Make the locals leave the property.
15. What does Clement post on the Duke's door on the train?
(a) A sign with the Duke's name.
(b) A black sheet so others can not see in the room.
(c) A do not disturb sign.
(d) A sign that reads Specially Reserved.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Duke search the attic?
2. What is unique about the Duke's finding in one of the old stalls?
3. Who tells the Duke about his friend's death?
4. Where did Fowler's bust used to sit when the Duke was a child?
5. By drilling a small hole into one's skull, what does the Duke learn is released?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)