|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duke find on December 13 in the store room?
(a) A book.
(b) A map.
(c) A telescope.
(d) A microscope.
2. Why does the Duke want to travel alone?
(a) He has no one to travel with.
(b) He enjoys being alone.
(c) He despises company.
(d) To prove his independence.
3. When does the Duke find out about a friend's death?
(a) 3 days after the death.
(b) 4 days after the death.
(c) 5 days after the death.
(d) 2 days after the death.
4. What does the Duke steal from the professor?
(b) A book.
(c) The keys to the lab.
(d) A trepanning kit.
5. How does the Duke feel in his reoccurring dream?
6. What does Clements force the Duke to do?
(a) Take his medince.
(b) Join the locals in ice skating.
(c) Make the locals leave the property.
(d) Take a bath.
7. By drilling a small hole into one's skull, what does the Duke learn is released?
(c) Evil spirits.
8. What does Mr. Hendley and the reader learn about the Duke during his bike ride?
(a) The Duke is in love with the postman's sister.
(b) The Duke wanted to be a postman.
(c) The Duke learned to ride a bike as an adult.
(d) The Duke wanted to by the Mayor.
9. Why did the staff and Dr. Cox decide to wait so long to tell the Duke about his friend's death?
(a) He was out of town.
(b) The Duke was in the hospital.
(c) They too found out later.
(d) It would only upset him.
10. In his reoccurring dream, what is the Duke's father doing?
(a) Asking for directions.
(b) Arguing with the Duke's mother.
11. What is the Duke able to be with many layers of clothing while ice skating?
(c) Protected if he falls.
12. What does the Duke learn while visiting with a professor at the university?
(a) The rules of education.
(b) How to read palms.
(c) The meaning of happiness.
(d) The process of trepanning.
13. When does the Duke sense the phantom boy?
(a) Only in the underground tunnels.
(b) In the attic.
(c) When he smokes his father's briar pipe.
(d) All the time.
14. What do the locals ask the Duke for on December 19th?
(a) A place to sleep.
(b) A tour of the tunnels.
(c) A dontaion.
(d) To skate on his lake.
15. When might the process of trepanning be used today according to the professor?
(a) For most criminals.
(b) To release brain hemmoraging.
(c) To cure the mentally insane.
(d) To release evil spirits.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mellor invite the Duke to?
2. During "From His Grace's Journal to Mrs. Pledger's Account," what does Clements show the Duke?
3. Who does the Duke visit on December 22nd?
4. How does Conner react to the story of the phantom boy?
5. What are the old stables on the property used for?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)