|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Conner react to the story of the phantom boy?
(b) His does not take the Duke seriously.
(d) His laughs.
2. Who recounts three anecdotes involving the Duke?
(a) An anonymous housemaid.
(c) Mr. Walker.
(d) Professor Bannister.
3. When might the process of trepanning be used today according to the professor?
(a) To cure the mentally insane.
(b) For most criminals.
(c) To release brain hemmoraging.
(d) To release evil spirits.
4. What was the dumbwaiter used for?
(a) It was never used.
(b) To lower the laundry to the basement.
(c) To take food to the second floor.
(d) To transport coal.
5. In the story from the Duke's childhood as told by the housemaid, once the Duke has a cart, what does he ask the housemaid to do with it?
(a) Pull off the wheels of the cart.
(b) Move the dishes from one room to the next.
(c) Push him around in it.
(d) Take the cart to his room.
6. What in particular upsets the Duke about his life?
(a) He is always ill.
(b) He never married.
(c) He hasn't created anything.
(d) He lives alone.
7. What does Clements force the Duke to do?
(a) Join the locals in ice skating.
(b) Take his medince.
(c) Take a bath.
(d) Make the locals leave the property.
8. During "From His Grace's Journal to Mrs. Pledger's Account," who joins the Duke in the study?
(b) Mr. Bird.
(d) Mr. Hendley.
9. Where does Mellor invite the Duke to?
(b) Pin Hole Cave.
(c) Holbeck Village.
(d) Tile Kiln & Low Close wood.
10. What preoccupies the Duke on December 2, 5, and 7?
(a) The tunnel project.
(b) The phantom boy.
(c) His thoughts.
(d) The dying trees.
11. Where did Fowler's bust used to sit when the Duke was a child?
(a) In the living room.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) In the foyer.
(d) In his father's study.
12. When does the Duke find out about a friend's death?
(a) 4 days after the death.
(b) 5 days after the death.
(c) 3 days after the death.
(d) 2 days after the death.
13. What does the Duke realize can happen even when surrounded by other people?
(a) You usually have a lot in common.
(b) You can still feel lonely.
(c) You can be happy.
(d) Others bother the Duke.
14. What does the Duke steal from the professor?
(a) A book.
(c) The keys to the lab.
(d) A trepanning kit.
15. Who insists that Clement travel with the Duke?
(a) Dr. Cox.
(c) Mrs. Pledger.
(d) Mr. Bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Duke want to travel alone?
2. Who tells the Duke about his friend's death?
3. By drilling a small hole into one's skull, what does the Duke learn is released?
4. What does the Duke create with the family things he finds in the attic?
5. What does Mellor show the Duke at breakfast?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)