|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Duke write about in the first part of his October 16th journal entry?
2. Who does the Duke meet on November 2 while walking home from the post office?
(a) 2 young boys.
(b) The Mayor.
(c) The preacher.
(d) An old woman.
3. How does Mr. Grimshaw feel about the Duke keeping a graveyard for the horses?
(a) He is interested in it.
(b) He thinks it is normal.
(c) He disapproves of it.
(d) He does not understand it.
4. What is Mr. Snow's condition?
(a) He is dying of cancer.
(b) He is healthy.
(c) He is diminished physically and mentally.
(d) He is the same as always.
5. What is sensitive to the condition of the eternal flame?
(a) One's tolerance for cold.
(b) One's hearing.
(c) One's eyesight.
(d) One's life.
6. Where does the Duke take a walk to on October 27th?
(b) Tile Kiln & Low Close Wood.
(c) Town Hall.
(d) The post office.
7. What animal does the Duke has a fondness for?
8. Based on the first chapter, "From His Grace's Journal to Mr. Bird's Account" what could be said about the Duke's mental health?
(a) He does not care.
(b) It may be unstable.
(c) He is visably suffering mentally.
(d) He is mentally healthy.
9. Whose accounts supplement the Duke's entries in "From His Grace's Journal to Mr. Bowen's Account?"
(a) The gamekeeper.
(b) Mr. Bird.
(c) Mr. Grimshaw.
(d) Mr. Bowen.
10. How does Mr. Bird feel about the rumors about the Duke?
(a) He confirms them.
(b) He does not belive them.
(c) He started many of them.
(d) He denies they are true.
11. What characteristic of the Duke suggests mental instability?
(a) He yells for no reason.
(b) He forgets everything.
(c) He cries when he wants to laugh.
(d) He is easily distracted.
12. What does the Duke spend his last few months of life trying to do?
(a) Make friends.
(b) Live a more complete life.
(c) Justify his lonely existance.
(d) Sell his estate.
13. How does the Duke feel about the leafless condition of the trees?
(a) He enjoys seeing the leaves fall.
(b) It is a part of life.
(c) He does not care.
(d) It is humiliating.
14. What is the Duke's reputation based on?
(b) First hand accounts.
(d) Idle converstaion.
15. When does the Duke use the tunnel system for the first time?
(a) October 14th.
(b) October 17th.
(c) October 16th.
(d) October 15th.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy's energy remind the Duke of?
2. What is the condition of the Duke's body?
3. How long has the Duke been going bald?
4. When does Mr. Bird meet the Duke?
5. What does the Duke's memory of the sparrow make him think of?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)