|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does War Paint claim as her advance on salary?
2. What is Valderrama's response to learning of the great defeat?
3. What is Demetrio Macias unable to remember?
4. How does Margarito terrorize the waiter in the cantina in Aguascalientes?
5. What does War Paint advise the kidnapped girl to do as the men leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Palomo, the dove, is a significant symbol in this story, as is the rock that Demetrio Macias throws and then watches as it falls inexorably to the bottom. In your essay, discuss some of the symbols and what they represent.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think the author's purpose was in writing this story? Does it have relevance to readers almost a century later? If there is a moral to the story, what is it? In your essay, discuss what you believe the author's overarching reason for writing this book would be and whether it is of value today.
Essay Topic 3
This book is notable for the amount of information given in the foreword, introduction, chronology of the revolution, chronology of Azuela's life, and notes at the end. In your essay, discuss the importance of this supplemental information. Why was so much included? What help does it provide a reader?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)