|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Demetrio Macias order his men to do when they enter the Sierra?
2. Why do the captive Sierra men refuse to answer Demetrio Macias' questions about where they are coming from?
3. Why are Quail and Lard pleased after their skirmish in Jalisco?
4. How do Pancracio and Lard die?
5. What does Luis Cervantes offer to Demetrio Macias?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Demetrio Macias describe his relationships with women?
2. What was the second point of honor that Luis Cervantes loses?
3. Why do the members of Demetrio Macias' staff all smile in a sinister way when he tells them they are stopping to have lunch with his old friend Don Monico?
4. What lies do the women in Don Monico's house tell to protect themselves?
5. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
6. What persuades Demetrio Macias' men that the deserters they encounter are telling the truth about Villa's defeat?
7. What does Margarito say happens to Luis Cervantes' girlfriends?
8. What is the character of Margarito?
9. What happened to Pancracio, Lard, and Margarito after Luis Cervantes left Mexico?
10. What does War Paint tell Camila that makes the younger girl cry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the status of women in this cultural setting. In what ways are they powerful? In what ways are they powerless? Use examples from the story to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Margarito's self-hatred explodes when he shoots his own image in the mirror, and then later when he actually commits suicide. Are there other instances of foreshadowing in this story, when the conclusion of events is presaged by a symbolic or similar event? In your essay, show examples of foreshadowing in the plot of this story.
Essay Topic 3
How did Azuela acquire his knowledge about the revolution? Was he a primary or a secondary source of information, and what difference does it make? In your essay, take a position for or against the importance of first-hand knowledge in writing historical fiction.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)