|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margarito do when the waiter can't fill his order?
2. What does Margarito think could kill him?
3. What organization does Luis Cervantes advise Venancio to join?
4. What is Valderrama's response to learning of the great defeat?
5. What does War Paint advise the kidnapped girl to do as the men leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Demetrio Macias demoralized by their attempt to fight the Orozquistas?
2. What dream of Venancio's is quashed by Luis Cervantes?
3. What was the second point of honor that Luis Cervantes loses?
4. What happened to Pancracio, Lard, and Margarito after Luis Cervantes left Mexico?
5. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
6. Why does the poet Valderrama disappear from Demetrio Macias' group?
7. Why does Anastasio think they should be able to quit fighting?
8. Why does Valderrama think the men of the Sierra should be treated differently than the townspeople they have killed and robbed?
9. What attitude does War Paint take toward Camila when Luis Cervantes brings her to camp for Demetrio Macias?
10. Why does Anastasio think the kind of fighting they did when they killed the priest is worth it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do the rebels become increasingly like those they are fighting against? Consider such statements as "No more dandies. We're the dandies now," and "Cacique Demetrio Macias."
Essay Topic 2
How did Azuela acquire his knowledge about the revolution? Was he a primary or a secondary source of information, and what difference does it make? In your essay, take a position for or against the importance of first-hand knowledge in writing historical fiction.
Essay Topic 3
The cover photo is a commentary in itself. What does the photo tell us about the person being photographed? About the nature of the story? About the revolution? Having read the story, does the significance of the photo seem greater to you? Why or why not?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)