|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fights over Margarito's treatment of the villager?
2. What does the poor villager complain that Demetrio Macias' men have done to him?
3. How many men have the rebels recruited in a week?
4. What does Margarito order that the bar is unable to provide?
5. Why does War Paint leave the celebratory banquet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Demetrio Macias think about on the last night of his life?
2. What attitude does War Paint take toward Camila when Luis Cervantes brings her to camp for Demetrio Macias?
3. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
4. What lesson does Demetrio Macias tell Camila he has learned by watching Pifanio, the crippled man?
5. What painful memory crosses Demetrio Macias' mind as Don Monico pleads for mercy for his wife and children?
6. What happened to Pancracio, Lard, and Margarito after Luis Cervantes left Mexico?
7. Why do the rebels feel justified in stealing goods from private homes and people?
8. Why does the poet Valderrama disappear from Demetrio Macias' group?
9. What does Margarito say happens to Luis Cervantes' girlfriends?
10. How does Demetrio Macias describe his relationships with women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personalities of the two main female characters, War Paint and Camila, in this story. How are they like one another? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Palomo, the dove, is a significant symbol in this story, as is the rock that Demetrio Macias throws and then watches as it falls inexorably to the bottom. In your essay, discuss some of the symbols and what they represent.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do the rebels become increasingly like those they are fighting against? Consider such statements as "No more dandies. We're the dandies now," and "Cacique Demetrio Macias."
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)