|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Demetrio Macias unable to remember?
2. What does Luis Cervantes present to Demetrio Macias at the banquet?
3. Who refuses Luis Cervantes' offer of help?
4. What does Margarito claim he has trained his prisoner to do?
5. What does War Paint do when no one defends her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Demetrio Macias think about on the last night of his life?
2. Why does Valderrama think the men of the Sierra should be treated differently than the townspeople they have killed and robbed?
3. What dream of Venancio's is quashed by Luis Cervantes?
4. What is the character of Margarito?
5. What does War Paint tell Camila that makes the younger girl cry?
6. What is the difference between the way Margarito appears to Camila and the way he seems to War Paint?
7. Why do the rebels feel justified in stealing goods from private homes and people?
8. What does Margarito say happens to Luis Cervantes' girlfriends?
9. How does Demetrio Macias describe his relationships with women?
10. How does Luis Cervantes justify stealing money from the people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do the rebels become increasingly like those they are fighting against? Consider such statements as "No more dandies. We're the dandies now," and "Cacique Demetrio Macias."
Essay Topic 2
What do you think the author's purpose was in writing this story? Does it have relevance to readers almost a century later? If there is a moral to the story, what is it? In your essay, discuss what you believe the author's overarching reason for writing this book would be and whether it is of value today.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities of the two main female characters, War Paint and Camila, in this story. How are they like one another? How are they different?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)