|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margarito order that the bar is unable to provide?
2. How does Margarito terrorize the waiter in the cantina in Aguascalientes?
3. Why have Demetrio Macias' friends prepared a banquet in his honor?
4. What saddens Demetrio Macias when they stop at a farmhouse for the night?
5. What does Margarito think could kill him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the poet Valderrama disappear from Demetrio Macias' group?
2. How does Luis Cervantes justify stealing money from the people?
3. What is the difference between the way Margarito appears to Camila and the way he seems to War Paint?
4. What is the character of Margarito?
5. Why does Anastasio think the kind of fighting they did when they killed the priest is worth it?
6. What lesson does Demetrio Macias tell Camila he has learned by watching Pifanio, the crippled man?
7. What attitude does War Paint take toward Camila when Luis Cervantes brings her to camp for Demetrio Macias?
8. What does War Paint tell Camila that makes the younger girl cry?
9. What happened to Pancracio, Lard, and Margarito after Luis Cervantes left Mexico?
10. Why is the crowd of villagers surprised at Demetrio Macias' behavior at Don Monico's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is notable for the amount of information given in the foreword, introduction, chronology of the revolution, chronology of Azuela's life, and notes at the end. In your essay, discuss the importance of this supplemental information. Why was so much included? What help does it provide a reader?
Essay Topic 2
The meanings of different words in translation can greatly affect the connotations delivered. "Los de Abajo," the title of this book, for instance, literally means, "Those from Beneath." Is there a difference between that and "The Underdogs"? If so, what is it? "Huero," translated here as "Towhead," is also used for those who are light-skinned, not just those who are blond. "La Pintada" could be translated as "She Who Wears Makeup." Do different translations make a difference to the reader? Using the internet, look up such words as "curro" and "cacique." Are their translations useful? Easy to understand? Accurate? Why do you think the translator chose to leave those two words in Spanish? In your essay, discuss the importance of the translator in conveying the right understanding of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Palomo, the dove, is a significant symbol in this story, as is the rock that Demetrio Macias throws and then watches as it falls inexorably to the bottom. In your essay, discuss some of the symbols and what they represent.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)