|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does War Paint say is the only person who can kill her?
2. With what does War Paint threaten Camila?
3. What does the poor villager complain that Demetrio Macias' men have done to him?
4. Why have Demetrio Macias' friends prepared a banquet in his honor?
5. In the song Demetrio Macias sings over and over again, why does his assailant stab him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
2. What attitude does War Paint take toward Camila when Luis Cervantes brings her to camp for Demetrio Macias?
3. Why does Valderrama think the men of the Sierra should be treated differently than the townspeople they have killed and robbed?
4. Why do the rebels feel justified in stealing goods from private homes and people?
5. What did Demetrio Macias think about on the last night of his life?
6. What lesson does Demetrio Macias tell Camila he has learned by watching Pifanio, the crippled man?
7. Why does Anastasio think the kind of fighting they did when they killed the priest is worth it?
8. How does War Paint try to help Camila and the young girl Luis Cervantes claims as a girlfriend?
9. What persuades Demetrio Macias' men that the deserters they encounter are telling the truth about Villa's defeat?
10. What is the difference between the way Margarito appears to Camila and the way he seems to War Paint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many instances in this story of characters justifying immoral actions to themselves. How does Demetrio Macias justify his burning of Don Monico's house? How does Luis Cervantes justify his stealing the diamonds? How do the soldiers justify taking the possessions of the villagers and townspeople where they travel? Use these and other examples to explain the process by which immoral actions are declared by the actors to be morally correct.
Essay Topic 2
This book is notable for the amount of information given in the foreword, introduction, chronology of the revolution, chronology of Azuela's life, and notes at the end. In your essay, discuss the importance of this supplemental information. Why was so much included? What help does it provide a reader?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, much is made of Luis Cervantes' ability to read, write, and deliver speeches. What differences does his education make to him? To those around him? How does it affect the outcome of his life?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)