|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does War Paint say is the only person who can kill her?
2. Why does War Paint become angry with Camila?
3. What does Margarito call himself when he realizes he has accidentally killed his prisoner?
4. Where had the two old friends originally become acquainted?
5. What do Demetrio Macias' men brag about as they drink in the tavern at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does War Paint try to help Camila and the young girl Luis Cervantes claims as a girlfriend?
2. How are the men of the rebel band promoted in military standing?
3. Why does Valderrama think the men of the Sierra should be treated differently than the townspeople they have killed and robbed?
4. What was the second point of honor that Luis Cervantes loses?
5. What is the character of Margarito?
6. What painful memory crosses Demetrio Macias' mind as Don Monico pleads for mercy for his wife and children?
7. Why does Anastasio think the kind of fighting they did when they killed the priest is worth it?
8. What did Demetrio Macias think about on the last night of his life?
9. What does Margarito say happens to Luis Cervantes' girlfriends?
10. What lies do the women in Don Monico's house tell to protect themselves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the information given in the foreword, write an essay explaining the progress of the revolution. What happened after the defeat of Huerta? Where does this story fit into the time line of the revolution? How much time is covered during this story?
Essay Topic 2
Very near the end of the story, a "poet" named Valderrama appears mysteriously and then disappears. In your essay, discuss this literary device. What brings Valderrama into the group of rebels? What causes him to leave? What purpose does he serve for the author?
Essay Topic 3
How did Azuela acquire his knowledge about the revolution? Was he a primary or a secondary source of information, and what difference does it make? In your essay, take a position for or against the importance of first-hand knowledge in writing historical fiction.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)