|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Quail's response to learning of the great defeat?
2. Who is Demetrio Macias ordered to fight in Jalisco?
3. What do Demetrio Macias' men brag about as they drink in the tavern at night?
4. What does Margarito do when the waiter can't fill his order?
5. What does Camila tell Demetrio Macias about Margarito?
Essay Topic 1
The tone of a story is the author's attitude toward his characters and the situations about which he writes. Discuss the tone of this story. How do you think Azuela felt about the people he wrote about?
Essay Topic 2
What role does drinking alcohol play in this story? Are the characters different when they are drinking than when they are not? Using examples from the book, discuss the effect of alcohol on the characters and on the outcome of events.
Essay Topic 3
In the story, much is made of Luis Cervantes' ability to read, write, and deliver speeches. What differences does his education make to him? To those around him? How does it affect the outcome of his life?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)