|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have they spent their money on?
2. Why does War Paint become angry with Camila?
3. What act of Margarito's does Luis Cervantes say was his most noble?
4. Which men have been made majors under General Demetrio Macias?
5. How does Luis Cervantes persuade the girl to come with him to the rebel camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anastasio think the kind of fighting they did when they killed the priest is worth it?
2. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
3. Why is the crowd of villagers surprised at Demetrio Macias' behavior at Don Monico's house?
4. What is the character of Margarito?
5. How are the men of the rebel band promoted in military standing?
6. What was the second point of honor that Luis Cervantes loses?
7. Why does Valderrama think the men of the Sierra should be treated differently than the townspeople they have killed and robbed?
8. What lesson does Demetrio Macias tell Camila he has learned by watching Pifanio, the crippled man?
9. What does War Paint tell Camila that makes the younger girl cry?
10. What lies do the women in Don Monico's house tell to protect themselves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Very near the end of the story, a "poet" named Valderrama appears mysteriously and then disappears. In your essay, discuss this literary device. What brings Valderrama into the group of rebels? What causes him to leave? What purpose does he serve for the author?
Essay Topic 2
This book is notable for the amount of information given in the foreword, introduction, chronology of the revolution, chronology of Azuela's life, and notes at the end. In your essay, discuss the importance of this supplemental information. Why was so much included? What help does it provide a reader?
Essay Topic 3
Using the information given in the foreword, write an essay explaining the progress of the revolution. What happened after the defeat of Huerta? Where does this story fit into the time line of the revolution? How much time is covered during this story?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)