|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Demetrio Macias says he dreams of ______________.
2. What does Margarito do to the villager?
3. What does Margarito order that the bar is unable to provide?
4. How does Anastasio tell the time?
5. Why are Quail and Lard pleased after their skirmish in Jalisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the rebels feel justified in stealing goods from private homes and people?
2. Why is Demetrio Macias demoralized by their attempt to fight the Orozquistas?
3. What lies do the women in Don Monico's house tell to protect themselves?
4. Why do the members of Demetrio Macias' staff all smile in a sinister way when he tells them they are stopping to have lunch with his old friend Don Monico?
5. What persuades Demetrio Macias' men that the deserters they encounter are telling the truth about Villa's defeat?
6. What was the second point of honor that Luis Cervantes loses?
7. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
8. What did Demetrio Macias think about on the last night of his life?
9. How does War Paint try to help Camila and the young girl Luis Cervantes claims as a girlfriend?
10. What dream of Venancio's is quashed by Luis Cervantes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Palomo, the dove, is a significant symbol in this story, as is the rock that Demetrio Macias throws and then watches as it falls inexorably to the bottom. In your essay, discuss some of the symbols and what they represent.
Essay Topic 2
The cover photo is a commentary in itself. What does the photo tell us about the person being photographed? About the nature of the story? About the revolution? Having read the story, does the significance of the photo seem greater to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The tone of a story is the author's attitude toward his characters and the situations about which he writes. Discuss the tone of this story. How do you think Azuela felt about the people he wrote about?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)