|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does War Paint claim as her advance on salary?
2. Why are Quail and Lard pleased after their skirmish in Jalisco?
3. What act of Margarito's does Luis Cervantes say was his most noble?
4. Who intervenes on behalf of the villager?
5. What does Margarito claim he has trained his prisoner to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luis Cervantes justify stealing money from the people?
2. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
3. Why does Anastasio think they should be able to quit fighting?
4. What point of honor did Luis Cervantes lose when chastising Demetrio Macias for looting private homes?
5. What lies do the women in Don Monico's house tell to protect themselves?
6. What painful memory crosses Demetrio Macias' mind as Don Monico pleads for mercy for his wife and children?
7. Why do the members of Demetrio Macias' staff all smile in a sinister way when he tells them they are stopping to have lunch with his old friend Don Monico?
8. What is the character of Margarito?
9. Why do the rebels feel justified in stealing goods from private homes and people?
10. Why does the poet Valderrama disappear from Demetrio Macias' group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does drinking alcohol play in this story? Are the characters different when they are drinking than when they are not? Using examples from the book, discuss the effect of alcohol on the characters and on the outcome of events.
Essay Topic 2
There are many instances in this story of characters justifying immoral actions to themselves. How does Demetrio Macias justify his burning of Don Monico's house? How does Luis Cervantes justify his stealing the diamonds? How do the soldiers justify taking the possessions of the villagers and townspeople where they travel? Use these and other examples to explain the process by which immoral actions are declared by the actors to be morally correct.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities of the two main female characters, War Paint and Camila, in this story. How are they like one another? How are they different?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)