|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Valderrama protest Demetrio Macias' order?
2. Why have Demetrio Macias' friends prepared a banquet in his honor?
3. What does Demetrio Macias take from the desk the rebels break into?
4. Who is Demetrio Macias ordered to fight in Jalisco?
5. Why are Quail and Lard pleased after their skirmish in Jalisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the men of the rebel band promoted in military standing?
2. What is the character of Margarito?
3. What happened to Pancracio, Lard, and Margarito after Luis Cervantes left Mexico?
4. What does War Paint tell Camila that makes the younger girl cry?
5. How does Luis Cervantes justify stealing money from the people?
6. How does Demetrio Macias describe his relationships with women?
7. Why doesn't War Paint's plan to rescue Camila from Demetrio Macias succeed?
8. Why is Demetrio Macias demoralized by their attempt to fight the Orozquistas?
9. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
10. What is the difference between the way Margarito appears to Camila and the way he seems to War Paint?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Margarito's self-hatred explodes when he shoots his own image in the mirror, and then later when he actually commits suicide. Are there other instances of foreshadowing in this story, when the conclusion of events is presaged by a symbolic or similar event? In your essay, show examples of foreshadowing in the plot of this story.
Essay Topic 2
This book is notable for the amount of information given in the foreword, introduction, chronology of the revolution, chronology of Azuela's life, and notes at the end. In your essay, discuss the importance of this supplemental information. Why was so much included? What help does it provide a reader?
Essay Topic 3
Using the information given in the foreword, write an essay explaining the progress of the revolution. What happened after the defeat of Huerta? Where does this story fit into the time line of the revolution? How much time is covered during this story?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)