|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luis Cervantes advise Venancio to do?
2. What does the poor villager complain that Demetrio Macias' men have done to him?
3. What does Anastasio wonder about now that the Federal soldiers have been defeated?
4. How does Margarito terrorize the waiter in the cantina in Aguascalientes?
5. What does War Paint do when no one defends her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What persuades Demetrio Macias' men that the deserters they encounter are telling the truth about Villa's defeat?
2. What attitude does War Paint take toward Camila when Luis Cervantes brings her to camp for Demetrio Macias?
3. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
4. What lesson does Demetrio Macias tell Camila he has learned by watching Pifanio, the crippled man?
5. What was the second point of honor that Luis Cervantes loses?
6. How does War Paint try to help Camila and the young girl Luis Cervantes claims as a girlfriend?
7. Why do the rebels feel justified in stealing goods from private homes and people?
8. Why is Demetrio Macias demoralized by their attempt to fight the Orozquistas?
9. Why does Valderrama think the men of the Sierra should be treated differently than the townspeople they have killed and robbed?
10. What point of honor did Luis Cervantes lose when chastising Demetrio Macias for looting private homes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Luis Cervantes is greatly changed during the course of the story. Using quotations and events from the book, show how he was when he joined the rebels and what changes had taken place in him by the end of the book.
Essay Topic 2
What ironies do you see in this story? For instance, is it ironic that those who are fighting for the rights of the poor end up stealing from the poor and often killing them? Irony occurs whenever the result is unexpected. In your essay, discuss the use of irony in this story.
Essay Topic 3
In the story, much is made of Luis Cervantes' ability to read, write, and deliver speeches. What differences does his education make to him? To those around him? How does it affect the outcome of his life?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)