|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Quail decide to do with the plush curtains they are looting?
2. What is Quail's response to learning of the great defeat?
3. Which men have been made majors under General Demetrio Macias?
4. What does Venancio hope to do after the war?
5. What old friend does Anastasio suddenly recognize?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does War Paint try to help Camila and the young girl Luis Cervantes claims as a girlfriend?
2. What painful memory crosses Demetrio Macias' mind as Don Monico pleads for mercy for his wife and children?
3. What is the difference between the way Margarito appears to Camila and the way he seems to War Paint?
4. Why does Anastasio think they should be able to quit fighting?
5. What does Margarito say happens to Luis Cervantes' girlfriends?
6. Why is the crowd of villagers surprised at Demetrio Macias' behavior at Don Monico's house?
7. What attitude does War Paint take toward Camila when Luis Cervantes brings her to camp for Demetrio Macias?
8. What lies do the women in Don Monico's house tell to protect themselves?
9. Why is Demetrio Macias demoralized by their attempt to fight the Orozquistas?
10. What dream of Venancio's is quashed by Luis Cervantes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Luis Cervantes is greatly changed during the course of the story. Using quotations and events from the book, show how he was when he joined the rebels and what changes had taken place in him by the end of the book.
Essay Topic 2
This book is notable for the amount of information given in the foreword, introduction, chronology of the revolution, chronology of Azuela's life, and notes at the end. In your essay, discuss the importance of this supplemental information. Why was so much included? What help does it provide a reader?
Essay Topic 3
What role does drinking alcohol play in this story? Are the characters different when they are drinking than when they are not? Using examples from the book, discuss the effect of alcohol on the characters and on the outcome of events.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)