|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to two of Demetrio Macias' recruits during the celebration?
2. To whom does the young carpenter who has been conscripted into the army pray?
3. How many battles has the leader of the Federal soldiers fought?
4. Who recognizes Luis Cervantes from his days with the Federal army?
5. What does Camila want Luis Cervantes to teach her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the Sierra?
2. Describe the character of Demetrio Macias' wife.
3. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight for the cause?
4. How do the rebels refer to their opponents and why?
5. How do the rebels refer to each other?
6. What kindness from a village girl impresses Demetrio Macias?
7. Why does Luis Cervantes begin to suspect that he has made another mistake?
8. How does Luis Cervantes react when Camila tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
9. What had offended Luis Cervantes during his time with the Federal army?
10. How is Luis Cervantes greeted when he first comes to the rebel camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What ironies do you see in this story? For instance, is it ironic that those who are fighting for the rights of the poor end up stealing from the poor and often killing them? Irony occurs whenever the result is unexpected. In your essay, discuss the use of irony in this story.
Essay Topic 2
There are many instances in this story of characters justifying immoral actions to themselves. How does Demetrio Macias justify his burning of Don Monico's house? How does Luis Cervantes justify his stealing the diamonds? How do the soldiers justify taking the possessions of the villagers and townspeople where they travel? Use these and other examples to explain the process by which immoral actions are declared by the actors to be morally correct.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities of the two main female characters, War Paint and Camila, in this story. How are they like one another? How are they different?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)