|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the young carpenter who has been conscripted into the army pray?
2. What do the marauders do to Demetrio Macias?
3. How long has Luis Cervantes been fighting with the rebels?
4. What is the name of Demetrio Macias' rancho?
5. What does Camila want Luis Cervantes to teach her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Luis Cervantes change his allegiance from the Federal army?
2. Why does the villager tell Demetrio Macias that it doesn't matter how many Federal soldiers are in the barracks?
3. The author uses the words "gold" or "golden" several times in his description of the Sierra. What symbolism might there be in calling the calf they are preparing to eat "golden?"
4. How does Camila expect Luis Cervantes to react when she tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
5. Why does Luis Cervantes think that Demetrio Macias has run into the hills?
6. How does Luis Cervantes escape being shot to death by Demetrio Macias' men?
7. Why does Demetrio Macias hate Don Monico?
8. Who are Serapio and Antonio?
9. What kindness from a village girl impresses Demetrio Macias?
10. How did General Natera react to Demetrio Macias' arrival in Zacatecas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the translator's use of diction in this story. In attempting to recreate a casual form of Spanish, the translator has written in a dialect that includes many contractions and shortened forms of words. Use examples in your essay as you discuss the following question: Is this successful in making the characters sound like uneducated country people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What role does drinking alcohol play in this story? Are the characters different when they are drinking than when they are not? Using examples from the book, discuss the effect of alcohol on the characters and on the outcome of events.
Essay Topic 3
The tone of a story is the author's attitude toward his characters and the situations about which he writes. Discuss the tone of this story. How do you think Azuela felt about the people he wrote about?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)