|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luis Cervantes refer to the rebels?
2. What is Luis Cervantes' profession?
3. What does the author say that alcohol was to the rebels in their celebration?
4. Who kills the leader of the Federal soldiers?
5. What news do the muleteers bring to the revolutionaries?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight for the cause?
2. How do the rebels refer to each other?
3. Describe the character of Demetrio Macias' wife.
4. How does the author describe the Sierra?
5. How does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Camila to go with Demetrio Macias?
6. How is Luis Cervantes greeted when he first comes to the rebel camp?
7. How does Luis Cervantes react when Camila tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
8. How does Camila expect Luis Cervantes to react when she tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
9. Why does Luis Cervantes think that Demetrio Macias has run into the hills?
10. Why does Luis Cervantes say he has come to join Demetrio Macias?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the translator's use of diction in this story. In attempting to recreate a casual form of Spanish, the translator has written in a dialect that includes many contractions and shortened forms of words. Use examples in your essay as you discuss the following question: Is this successful in making the characters sound like uneducated country people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Very near the end of the story, a "poet" named Valderrama appears mysteriously and then disappears. In your essay, discuss this literary device. What brings Valderrama into the group of rebels? What causes him to leave? What purpose does he serve for the author?
Essay Topic 3
Using the information given in the foreword, write an essay explaining the progress of the revolution. What happened after the defeat of Huerta? Where does this story fit into the time line of the revolution? How much time is covered during this story?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)