|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recognizes Luis Cervantes from his days with the Federal army?
2. What honor does Natera give Demetrio Macias?
3. What do Demetrio Macias' men do when they find Serapio and Antonio, who were thought to be lost, hanged?
4. What does Demetrio Macias' wife want him to do to the marauders?
5. What does the news from the capital say about Huerta?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luis Cervantes escape being shot to death by Demetrio Macias' men?
2. Why does Quail object to Pancracio killing the Federal officer?
3. How does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Camila to go with Demetrio Macias?
4. What does the shooting of the dog named "Palomo, the dove," symbolize?
5. What does Luis Cervantes insist that the band should do when he learns that Huerta is preparing a final defense in Zacatecas?
6. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight for the cause?
7. Why does Demetrio Macias order Quail to steal a priest's cassock?
8. What kindness from a village girl impresses Demetrio Macias?
9. How does Camila expect Luis Cervantes to react when she tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
10. Why is Luis Cervantes annoyed by Camila?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The cover photo is a commentary in itself. What does the photo tell us about the person being photographed? About the nature of the story? About the revolution? Having read the story, does the significance of the photo seem greater to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personalities of the two main female characters, War Paint and Camila, in this story. How are they like one another? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
This book is notable for the amount of information given in the foreword, introduction, chronology of the revolution, chronology of Azuela's life, and notes at the end. In your essay, discuss the importance of this supplemental information. Why was so much included? What help does it provide a reader?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)