Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Senora Remigia have little food for Demetrio Macias' men?
2. What do the rebels take from the soldiers?
3. Where did the Federal lieutenant meet Demetrio Macias?
4. How did his men make a stretcher for the wounded Demetrio Macias?
5. What is the first cure the neighborhood women use for Demetrio Macias' fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't War Paint's plan to rescue Camila from Demetrio Macias succeed?
2. What dream of Venancio's is quashed by Luis Cervantes?
3. Why does the poet Valderrama disappear from Demetrio Macias' group?
4. Why is Alberto Solis surprised to see Luis Cervantes in Zacatecas?
5. Why does Demetrio Macias order Quail to steal a priest's cassock?
6. Why do the rebels feel justified in stealing goods from private homes and people?
7. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
8. What does the shooting of the dog named "Palomo, the dove," symbolize?
9. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do as they approach the town where they are planning to attack the Federal soldiers?
10. How does Luis Cervantes react when Camila tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
Essay Topic 1
The tone of a story is the author's attitude toward his characters and the situations about which he writes. Discuss the tone of this story. How do you think Azuela felt about the people he wrote about?
Essay Topic 2
In the story, much is made of Luis Cervantes' ability to read, write, and deliver speeches. What differences does his education make to him? To those around him? How does it affect the outcome of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the translator's use of diction in this story. In attempting to recreate a casual form of Spanish, the translator has written in a dialect that includes many contractions and shortened forms of words. Use examples in your essay as you discuss the following question: Is this successful in making the characters sound like uneducated country people? Why or why not?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)