|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luis Cervantes believe Madero rewarded the peasants who helped him gain power?
2. How does Luis Cervantes address Demetrio Macias?
3. How does Demetrio Macias plan to learn Luis Cervantes' true intentions?
4. What skill has made Demetrio Macias' men famous?
5. What does Demetrio Macias say he would be doing if Don Monico hadn't tried to arrest him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Demetrio Macias hate Don Monico?
2. How does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Camila to go with Demetrio Macias?
3. How does Camila expect Luis Cervantes to react when she tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
4. What kindness from a village girl impresses Demetrio Macias?
5. How did General Natera react to Demetrio Macias' arrival in Zacatecas?
6. Why is Alberto Solis surprised to see Luis Cervantes in Zacatecas?
7. Why does Luis Cervantes think that Demetrio Macias has run into the hills?
8. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight for the cause?
9. The author uses the words "gold" or "golden" several times in his description of the Sierra. What symbolism might there be in calling the calf they are preparing to eat "golden?"
10. Why does Luis Cervantes say he has come to join Demetrio Macias?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think the author's purpose was in writing this story? Does it have relevance to readers almost a century later? If there is a moral to the story, what is it? In your essay, discuss what you believe the author's overarching reason for writing this book would be and whether it is of value today.
Essay Topic 2
The meanings of different words in translation can greatly affect the connotations delivered. "Los de Abajo," the title of this book, for instance, literally means, "Those from Beneath." Is there a difference between that and "The Underdogs"? If so, what is it? "Huero," translated here as "Towhead," is also used for those who are light-skinned, not just those who are blond. "La Pintada" could be translated as "She Who Wears Makeup." Do different translations make a difference to the reader? Using the internet, look up such words as "curro" and "cacique." Are their translations useful? Easy to understand? Accurate? Why do you think the translator chose to leave those two words in Spanish? In your essay, discuss the importance of the translator in conveying the right understanding of the story.
Essay Topic 3
This book is notable for the amount of information given in the foreword, introduction, chronology of the revolution, chronology of Azuela's life, and notes at the end. In your essay, discuss the importance of this supplemental information. Why was so much included? What help does it provide a reader?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)