|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luis Cervantes hear on his first fighting encounter with the rebels?
2. Who helps Luis Cervantes to eat and cleans his wounded leg?
3. What does Demetrio Macias say he would be doing if Don Monico hadn't tried to arrest him?
4. Demetrio Macias says that you find out who your true friends are in __________________.
5. How did Demetrio Macias get the drop on the Federal soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the way Margarito appears to Camila and the way he seems to War Paint?
2. How do the rebels refer to their opponents and why?
3. What painful memory crosses Demetrio Macias' mind as Don Monico pleads for mercy for his wife and children?
4. What had offended Luis Cervantes during his time with the Federal army?
5. Why is Demetrio Macias demoralized by their attempt to fight the Orozquistas?
6. How did Luis Cervantes change his allegiance from the Federal army?
7. How does the author describe the Sierra?
8. Why does Anastasio think the kind of fighting they did when they killed the priest is worth it?
9. Why does Demetrio Macias order Quail to steal a priest's cassock?
10. What did Demetrio Macias think about on the last night of his life?
Essay Topic 1
Using the information given in the foreword, write an essay explaining the progress of the revolution. What happened after the defeat of Huerta? Where does this story fit into the time line of the revolution? How much time is covered during this story?
Essay Topic 2
Margarito's self-hatred explodes when he shoots his own image in the mirror, and then later when he actually commits suicide. Are there other instances of foreshadowing in this story, when the conclusion of events is presaged by a symbolic or similar event? In your essay, show examples of foreshadowing in the plot of this story.
Essay Topic 3
In the story, much is made of Luis Cervantes' ability to read, write, and deliver speeches. What differences does his education make to him? To those around him? How does it affect the outcome of his life?
This section contains 1,772 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)