|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Senora Remigia have little food for Demetrio Macias' men?
2. What skill has made Demetrio Macias' men famous?
3. What does the neighborhood say has happened to Marcelina?
4. What does Luis Cervantes say will be the result of their uprising?
5. Why had Don Monico come to arrest Demetrio Macias?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight for the cause?
2. What kindness from a village girl impresses Demetrio Macias?
3. How does Luis Cervantes escape being shot to death by Demetrio Macias' men?
4. Why does Luis Cervantes think that Demetrio Macias has run into the hills?
5. Why does Anastasio think they should be able to quit fighting?
6. How does Demetrio Macias describe his relationships with women?
7. What lies do the women in Don Monico's house tell to protect themselves?
8. Why does the villager tell Demetrio Macias that it doesn't matter how many Federal soldiers are in the barracks?
9. Why does Quail object to Pancracio killing the Federal officer?
10. How did Luis Cervantes change his allegiance from the Federal army?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the translator's use of diction in this story. In attempting to recreate a casual form of Spanish, the translator has written in a dialect that includes many contractions and shortened forms of words. Use examples in your essay as you discuss the following question: Is this successful in making the characters sound like uneducated country people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the story, much is made of Luis Cervantes' ability to read, write, and deliver speeches. What differences does his education make to him? To those around him? How does it affect the outcome of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Using the information given in the foreword, write an essay explaining the progress of the revolution. What happened after the defeat of Huerta? Where does this story fit into the time line of the revolution? How much time is covered during this story?
This section contains 1,717 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)