|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Demetrio Macias hope to do when the war is over?
2. Who kills the leader of the Federal soldiers?
3. What do the marauders do to Demetrio Macias?
4. What does Quail have nightmares about?
5. What is the cure that Senora Remigia brings to Demetrio Macias?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alberto Solis surprised to see Luis Cervantes in Zacatecas?
2. Why is Luis Cervantes annoyed by Camila?
3. How did General Natera react to Demetrio Macias' arrival in Zacatecas?
4. How do the rebels refer to their opponents and why?
5. Why does Luis Cervantes say he has come to join Demetrio Macias?
6. Why does Demetrio Macias order Quail to steal a priest's cassock?
7. Why does Quail object to Pancracio killing the Federal officer?
8. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight for the cause?
9. Describe the leader of the Federal soldiers.
10. What kind of atmosphere is created as the rebels loot bodies of the soldiers they have killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does drinking alcohol play in this story? Are the characters different when they are drinking than when they are not? Using examples from the book, discuss the effect of alcohol on the characters and on the outcome of events.
Essay Topic 2
How did Azuela acquire his knowledge about the revolution? Was he a primary or a secondary source of information, and what difference does it make? In your essay, take a position for or against the importance of first-hand knowledge in writing historical fiction.
Essay Topic 3
The character of Luis Cervantes is greatly changed during the course of the story. Using quotations and events from the book, show how he was when he joined the rebels and what changes had taken place in him by the end of the book.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)