Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Senora Remigia have little food for Demetrio Macias' men?
2. What do the rebels take from the soldiers?
3. Where did the Federal lieutenant meet Demetrio Macias?
4. How did his men make a stretcher for the wounded Demetrio Macias?
5. What is the first cure the neighborhood women use for Demetrio Macias' fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't War Paint's plan to rescue Camila from Demetrio Macias succeed?
2. What dream of Venancio's is quashed by Luis Cervantes?
3. Why does the poet Valderrama disappear from Demetrio Macias' group?
4. Why is Alberto Solis surprised to see Luis Cervantes in Zacatecas?
5. Why does Demetrio Macias order Quail to steal a priest's cassock?
6. Why do the rebels feel justified in stealing goods from private homes and people?
7. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
8. What does the shooting of the dog named "Palomo, the dove," symbolize?
9. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do as they approach the town where they are planning to attack the Federal soldiers?
10. How does Luis Cervantes react when Camila tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
Essay Topic 1
What role does drinking alcohol play in this story? Are the characters different when they are drinking than when they are not? Using examples from the book, discuss the effect of alcohol on the characters and on the outcome of events.
Essay Topic 2
In the story, much is made of Luis Cervantes' ability to read, write, and deliver speeches. What differences does his education make to him? To those around him? How does it affect the outcome of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Very near the end of the story, a "poet" named Valderrama appears mysteriously and then disappears. In your essay, discuss this literary device. What brings Valderrama into the group of rebels? What causes him to leave? What purpose does he serve for the author?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)