|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many battles has the leader of the Federal soldiers fought?
2. Where does Demetrio Macias sleep the night after he leaves home?
3. What unanswerable question does Demetrio Macias ask Luis Cervantes?
4. What does Anastasio give the villager?
5. What did the rebels make hand grenades with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the rebels refer to each other?
2. Why does Luis Cervantes begin to suspect that he has made another mistake?
3. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do as they approach the town where they are planning to attack the Federal soldiers?
4. What does Luis Cervantes insist that the band should do when he learns that Huerta is preparing a final defense in Zacatecas?
5. What had offended Luis Cervantes during his time with the Federal army?
6. Why does Luis Cervantes say he has come to join Demetrio Macias?
7. Describe the character of Demetrio Macias' wife.
8. How do the rebels refer to their opponents and why?
9. Why does Luis Cervantes think that Demetrio Macias has run into the hills?
10. How does the author describe the Sierra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many instances in this story of characters justifying immoral actions to themselves. How does Demetrio Macias justify his burning of Don Monico's house? How does Luis Cervantes justify his stealing the diamonds? How do the soldiers justify taking the possessions of the villagers and townspeople where they travel? Use these and other examples to explain the process by which immoral actions are declared by the actors to be morally correct.
Essay Topic 2
Margarito's self-hatred explodes when he shoots his own image in the mirror, and then later when he actually commits suicide. Are there other instances of foreshadowing in this story, when the conclusion of events is presaged by a symbolic or similar event? In your essay, show examples of foreshadowing in the plot of this story.
Essay Topic 3
What role does drinking alcohol play in this story? Are the characters different when they are drinking than when they are not? Using examples from the book, discuss the effect of alcohol on the characters and on the outcome of events.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)