|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Demetrio Macias' men plan to do if they outnumber the Federal soldiers?
2. What does Luis Cervantes begin to suspect about the revolutionaries?
3. Who kills the leader of the Federal soldiers?
4. Why are there more Federal soldiers in town than Demetrio Macias had anticipated?
5. What does Luis Cervantes say Natera and Demetrio Macias will bring to their country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Luis Cervantes annoyed by Camila?
2. Why does Demetrio Macias order Quail to steal a priest's cassock?
3. Why does Luis Cervantes say he has come to join Demetrio Macias?
4. Why does Demetrio Macias not want to take any of the women he admires into the towns they visit?
5. How is Luis Cervantes greeted when he first comes to the rebel camp?
6. How do the rebels refer to their opponents and why?
7. How does the author describe the Sierra?
8. Describe the character of Demetrio Macias' wife.
9. Why is Alberto Solis surprised to see Luis Cervantes in Zacatecas?
10. What does the shooting of the dog named "Palomo, the dove," symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the translator's use of diction in this story. In attempting to recreate a casual form of Spanish, the translator has written in a dialect that includes many contractions and shortened forms of words. Use examples in your essay as you discuss the following question: Is this successful in making the characters sound like uneducated country people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What ironies do you see in this story? For instance, is it ironic that those who are fighting for the rights of the poor end up stealing from the poor and often killing them? Irony occurs whenever the result is unexpected. In your essay, discuss the use of irony in this story.
Essay Topic 3
How did Azuela acquire his knowledge about the revolution? Was he a primary or a secondary source of information, and what difference does it make? In your essay, take a position for or against the importance of first-hand knowledge in writing historical fiction.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)