|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Luis Cervantes come to feel about the rebel cause after his experience with the federal army?
2. Who kills the leader of the Federal soldiers?
3. Why is Anastasio Montanes unafraid of bullets?
4. What do Demetrio Macias' men plan to do if the Federal soldiers outnumber them?
5. What does Natera say that he has heard abou Demetrio Macias?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the villager tell Demetrio Macias that it doesn't matter how many Federal soldiers are in the barracks?
2. How does Luis Cervantes escape being shot to death by Demetrio Macias' men?
3. How did Luis Cervantes change his allegiance from the Federal army?
4. Why does Demetrio Macias hate Don Monico?
5. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do as they approach the town where they are planning to attack the Federal soldiers?
6. Describe the leader of the Federal soldiers.
7. How is Luis Cervantes greeted when he first comes to the rebel camp?
8. Why does Luis Cervantes begin to suspect that he has made another mistake?
9. Why does Demetrio Macias order Quail to steal a priest's cassock?
10. Describe the character of Demetrio Macias' wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tone of a story is the author's attitude toward his characters and the situations about which he writes. Discuss the tone of this story. How do you think Azuela felt about the people he wrote about?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the translator's use of diction in this story. In attempting to recreate a casual form of Spanish, the translator has written in a dialect that includes many contractions and shortened forms of words. Use examples in your essay as you discuss the following question: Is this successful in making the characters sound like uneducated country people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How did Azuela acquire his knowledge about the revolution? Was he a primary or a secondary source of information, and what difference does it make? In your essay, take a position for or against the importance of first-hand knowledge in writing historical fiction.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)