|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Demetrio Macias think his hiding place is safe?
2. What does the author say that alcohol was to the rebels in their celebration?
3. What does the neighborhood say has happened to Marcelina?
4. How many men are riding with Demetrio Macias?
5. What does Luis Cervantes say are the most sacred things any man has?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Luis Cervantes escape being shot to death by Demetrio Macias' men?
2. Why does Demetrio Macias not want to take any of the women he admires into the towns they visit?
3. Why does the villager tell Demetrio Macias that it doesn't matter how many Federal soldiers are in the barracks?
4. Why does Quail object to Pancracio killing the Federal officer?
5. Describe the character of Demetrio Macias' wife.
6. How do the rebels refer to their opponents and why?
7. How is Luis Cervantes greeted when he first comes to the rebel camp?
8. Who are Serapio and Antonio?
9. What kind of atmosphere is created as the rebels loot bodies of the soldiers they have killed?
10. The author uses the words "gold" or "golden" several times in his description of the Sierra. What symbolism might there be in calling the calf they are preparing to eat "golden?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways do the rebels become increasingly like those they are fighting against? Consider such statements as "No more dandies. We're the dandies now," and "Cacique Demetrio Macias."
Essay Topic 2
The character of Luis Cervantes is greatly changed during the course of the story. Using quotations and events from the book, show how he was when he joined the rebels and what changes had taken place in him by the end of the book.
Essay Topic 3
In the story, much is made of Luis Cervantes' ability to read, write, and deliver speeches. What differences does his education make to him? To those around him? How does it affect the outcome of his life?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)