Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Senora Remigia have little food for Demetrio Macias' men?
2. What do the rebels take from the soldiers?
3. Where did the Federal lieutenant meet Demetrio Macias?
4. How did his men make a stretcher for the wounded Demetrio Macias?
5. What is the first cure the neighborhood women use for Demetrio Macias' fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't War Paint's plan to rescue Camila from Demetrio Macias succeed?
2. What dream of Venancio's is quashed by Luis Cervantes?
3. Why does the poet Valderrama disappear from Demetrio Macias' group?
4. Why is Alberto Solis surprised to see Luis Cervantes in Zacatecas?
5. Why does Demetrio Macias order Quail to steal a priest's cassock?
6. Why do the rebels feel justified in stealing goods from private homes and people?
7. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
8. What does the shooting of the dog named "Palomo, the dove," symbolize?
9. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do as they approach the town where they are planning to attack the Federal soldiers?
10. How does Luis Cervantes react when Camila tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
Compare and contrast the personalities of the two main female characters, War Paint and Camila, in this story. How are they like one another? How are they different?
Discuss the status of women in this cultural setting. In what ways are they powerful? In what ways are they powerless? Use examples from the story to support your position.
Margarito's self-hatred explodes when he shoots his own image in the mirror, and then later when he actually commits suicide. Are there other instances of foreshadowing in this story, when the conclusion of events is presaged by a symbolic or similar event? In your essay, show examples of foreshadowing in the plot of this story.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)