|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say that alcohol was to the rebels in their celebration?
2. What does Camila call Demetrio Macias?
3. What does Natera say that he has heard abou Demetrio Macias?
4. What did the villager who helped Demetrio Macias want the rebels to do in return?
5. To what does Luis Cervantes' old acquaintance compare the men in the revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kindness from a village girl impresses Demetrio Macias?
2. Describe the character of Demetrio Macias' wife.
3. Why does Luis Cervantes say he has come to join Demetrio Macias?
4. What kind of atmosphere is created as the rebels loot bodies of the soldiers they have killed?
5. How does the author describe the Sierra?
6. How does Luis Cervantes escape being shot to death by Demetrio Macias' men?
7. Why does Demetrio Macias not want to take any of the women he admires into the towns they visit?
8. Why does Luis Cervantes begin to suspect that he has made another mistake?
9. Who are Serapio and Antonio?
10. How do the rebels refer to each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, much is made of Luis Cervantes' ability to read, write, and deliver speeches. What differences does his education make to him? To those around him? How does it affect the outcome of his life?
Essay Topic 2
There are many instances in this story of characters justifying immoral actions to themselves. How does Demetrio Macias justify his burning of Don Monico's house? How does Luis Cervantes justify his stealing the diamonds? How do the soldiers justify taking the possessions of the villagers and townspeople where they travel? Use these and other examples to explain the process by which immoral actions are declared by the actors to be morally correct.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the status of women in this cultural setting. In what ways are they powerful? In what ways are they powerless? Use examples from the story to support your position.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)