|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Senora Remigia have little food for Demetrio Macias' men?
2. What do the rebels take from the soldiers?
3. Where did the Federal lieutenant meet Demetrio Macias?
4. How did his men make a stretcher for the wounded Demetrio Macias?
5. What is the first cure the neighborhood women use for Demetrio Macias' fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't War Paint's plan to rescue Camila from Demetrio Macias succeed?
2. What dream of Venancio's is quashed by Luis Cervantes?
3. Why does the poet Valderrama disappear from Demetrio Macias' group?
4. Why is Alberto Solis surprised to see Luis Cervantes in Zacatecas?
5. Why does Demetrio Macias order Quail to steal a priest's cassock?
6. Why do the rebels feel justified in stealing goods from private homes and people?
7. What does Luis Cervantes suggest that they do with their stolen money?
8. What does the shooting of the dog named "Palomo, the dove," symbolize?
9. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do as they approach the town where they are planning to attack the Federal soldiers?
10. How does Luis Cervantes react when Camila tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
Essay Topic 1
Using the information given in the foreword, write an essay explaining the progress of the revolution. What happened after the defeat of Huerta? Where does this story fit into the time line of the revolution? How much time is covered during this story?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think the author's purpose was in writing this story? Does it have relevance to readers almost a century later? If there is a moral to the story, what is it? In your essay, discuss what you believe the author's overarching reason for writing this book would be and whether it is of value today.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the translator's use of diction in this story. In attempting to recreate a casual form of Spanish, the translator has written in a dialect that includes many contractions and shortened forms of words. Use examples in your essay as you discuss the following question: Is this successful in making the characters sound like uneducated country people? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,768 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)