|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Don Monico come to arrest Demetrio Macias?
2. What does Camila's mother do to drive out the evil spirits that are making the girl sad?
3. What keeps Luis Cervantes from sleeping on his first night with Demetrio Macias' band?
4. What does the leader of the Federal soldiers expect will be the result of the attack by Demetrio Macias?
5. Why doesn't Camila want to go with Demetrio Macias?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight for the cause?
2. How do the rebels refer to each other?
3. How is Luis Cervantes greeted when he first comes to the rebel camp?
4. How does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Camila to go with Demetrio Macias?
5. What kindness from a village girl impresses Demetrio Macias?
6. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do as they approach the town where they are planning to attack the Federal soldiers?
7. Who are Serapio and Antonio?
8. The author uses the words "gold" or "golden" several times in his description of the Sierra. What symbolism might there be in calling the calf they are preparing to eat "golden?"
9. Describe the leader of the Federal soldiers.
10. Why does Quail object to Pancracio killing the Federal officer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the status of women in this cultural setting. In what ways are they powerful? In what ways are they powerless? Use examples from the story to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
The tone of a story is the author's attitude toward his characters and the situations about which he writes. Discuss the tone of this story. How do you think Azuela felt about the people he wrote about?
Essay Topic 3
The cover photo is a commentary in itself. What does the photo tell us about the person being photographed? About the nature of the story? About the revolution? Having read the story, does the significance of the photo seem greater to you? Why or why not?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)