|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the villager assure Demetrio Macias that the Federal soldiers are not dangerous?
2. Who is Palomo the Dove?
3. What do the rebels take from the soldiers?
4. What does Luis Cervantes hear on his first fighting encounter with the rebels?
5. What do the marauders do to Demetrio Macias?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Luis Cervantes think that Demetrio Macias has run into the hills?
2. How do the rebels refer to their opponents and why?
3. Who are Serapio and Antonio?
4. How does Luis Cervantes react when Camila tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
5. How do the rebels refer to each other?
6. Why does Demetrio Macias hate Don Monico?
7. How does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Camila to go with Demetrio Macias?
8. What does the shooting of the dog named "Palomo, the dove," symbolize?
9. Why does Demetrio Macias order Quail to steal a priest's cassock?
10. How does the author describe the Sierra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does drinking alcohol play in this story? Are the characters different when they are drinking than when they are not? Using examples from the book, discuss the effect of alcohol on the characters and on the outcome of events.
Essay Topic 2
The meanings of different words in translation can greatly affect the connotations delivered. "Los de Abajo," the title of this book, for instance, literally means, "Those from Beneath." Is there a difference between that and "The Underdogs"? If so, what is it? "Huero," translated here as "Towhead," is also used for those who are light-skinned, not just those who are blond. "La Pintada" could be translated as "She Who Wears Makeup." Do different translations make a difference to the reader? Using the internet, look up such words as "curro" and "cacique." Are their translations useful? Easy to understand? Accurate? Why do you think the translator chose to leave those two words in Spanish? In your essay, discuss the importance of the translator in conveying the right understanding of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personalities of the two main female characters, War Paint and Camila, in this story. How are they like one another? How are they different?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)