|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Demetrio Macias, who defeated all the federal soldiers in town with just a half dozen men?
2. What does Luis Cervantes begin to suspect about the revolutionaries?
3. How many rifles do Demetrio Macias' men have?
4. Why are there more Federal soldiers in town than Demetrio Macias had anticipated?
5. How many men are riding with Demetrio Macias?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luis Cervantes insist that the band should do when he learns that Huerta is preparing a final defense in Zacatecas?
2. Why does Luis Cervantes begin to suspect that he has made another mistake?
3. Why does Quail object to Pancracio killing the Federal officer?
4. How do the rebels refer to their opponents and why?
5. The author uses the words "gold" or "golden" several times in his description of the Sierra. What symbolism might there be in calling the calf they are preparing to eat "golden?"
6. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight for the cause?
7. Why does the villager tell Demetrio Macias that it doesn't matter how many Federal soldiers are in the barracks?
8. Describe the leader of the Federal soldiers.
9. Why is Luis Cervantes annoyed by Camila?
10. Describe the character of Demetrio Macias' wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, much is made of Luis Cervantes' ability to read, write, and deliver speeches. What differences does his education make to him? To those around him? How does it affect the outcome of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Palomo, the dove, is a significant symbol in this story, as is the rock that Demetrio Macias throws and then watches as it falls inexorably to the bottom. In your essay, discuss some of the symbols and what they represent.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the translator's use of diction in this story. In attempting to recreate a casual form of Spanish, the translator has written in a dialect that includes many contractions and shortened forms of words. Use examples in your essay as you discuss the following question: Is this successful in making the characters sound like uneducated country people? Why or why not?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)