|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Demetrio Macias' men plan to do if they outnumber the Federal soldiers?
(a) Scare them.
(b) Kill them all.
(c) Die bravely.
(d) Chase them out of town.
2. What does Camila's mother do to drive out the evil spirits that are making the girl sad?
(a) She sends her with the rebels.
(b) She beats her.
(c) She forces her to fast.
(d) She locks her away.
3. What does the news from the capital say about Huerta?
(a) He has regained control of the capital.
(b) He has surrundered.
(c) His family is fleeing the country.
(d) He has vowed to fight to the death.
4. What does Luis Cervantes begin to suspect about the revolutionaries?
(a) They are examples of courage.
(b) They cannot win.
(c) They cannot lose.
(d) They are nothing more than bandits.
5. What is the leader of the Federal soldiers doing during the attack by Demetrio Macias?
(a) Leading the assault.
(c) Composing a letter describing his victory.
(d) Running away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Luis Cervantes riding with before Demetrio Macias?
2. Who kills the brother of the guide from the village?
3. How do the rebels refer to their loot?
4. What unanswerable question does Demetrio Macias ask Luis Cervantes?
5. What effect does Senora Remigia's cure have on Demetrio Macias?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of atmosphere is created as the rebels loot bodies of the soldiers they have killed?
2. How were Demetrio Macias and his men able to get the drop on the Federal soldiers in the barracks?
3. How do the rebels refer to their opponents and why?
4. How does Luis Cervantes react when Camila tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
5. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight for the cause?
6. The author uses the words "gold" or "golden" several times in his description of the Sierra. What symbolism might there be in calling the calf they are preparing to eat "golden?"
7. Who are Serapio and Antonio?
8. How did General Natera react to Demetrio Macias' arrival in Zacatecas?
9. Why does Luis Cervantes begin to suspect that he has made another mistake?
10. How does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Camila to go with Demetrio Macias?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)