|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does Camila's speech have on Luis Cervantes?
(a) Like steel scratching glass.
(b) Like birds singing.
(c) Like a guitar at night.
(d) Like a river over rocks.
2. What do Demetrio Macias' men plan to do if the Federal soldiers outnumber them?
(a) Die bravely.
(b) Kill them all.
(c) Scare them.
(d) Chase them out of town.
3. What does the federal colonel do to punish Luis Cervantes when he finds him asleep?
(a) Sends him to work in the kitchen.
(b) Sends him to the firing squad.
(c) Sends him to the general.
(d) Sends him to the brig.
4. Who fights over their card game?
(a) Quail and Lard.
(b) Lard and Pancracio.
(c) Anastasio and Quail.
(d) Pancracio and Anastasio.
5. What do Demetrio Macias' men do when they find Serapio and Antonio, who were thought to be lost, hanged?
(a) Break out a jug of pulque.
(b) Beat the two men for deserting.
(c) Recite the Lord's prayer.
(d) Thank the Virgin of Guadalupe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What honor does Natera give Demetrio Macias?
2. What does Venancio want to do when the war is over?
3. What does Luis Cervantes tell Demetrio Macias that Macias does not yet understand?
4. How did Demetrio Macias get the drop on the Federal soldiers?
5. What is the first cure the neighborhood women use for Demetrio Macias' fever?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do as they approach the town where they are planning to attack the Federal soldiers?
2. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight for the cause?
3. What is the character of Margarito?
4. How are the men of the rebel band promoted in military standing?
5. Why is the crowd of villagers surprised at Demetrio Macias' behavior at Don Monico's house?
6. Why does Anastasio think they should be able to quit fighting?
7. How does Luis Cervantes react when Camila tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
8. What does the shooting of the dog named "Palomo, the dove," symbolize?
9. Why is Luis Cervantes annoyed by Camila?
10. Why do the rebels feel justified in stealing goods from private homes and people?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)