|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Federal lieutenant meet Demetrio Macias?
(a) In the canteen in town.
(b) In the battle of Zacatecas.
(c) Hiding in the hills.
(d) In the penetentiary.
2. What greets Demetrio Macias' men as they enter the plaza of the village?
(a) A squadron of deserters.
(b) A hail of rifle fire.
(c) A group of peasants.
(d) A priest and some beggars.
3. What is Luis Cervantes' profession?
(a) Medical student and novelist.
(b) Poet and novelist.
(c) Journalist and medical student.
(d) Journalist and novelist.
4. How does Demetrio Macias plan to learn Luis Cervantes' true intentions?
(a) By having Quail dress as a Federal soldier and offer to help.
(b) By having Quail torture him until he confesses.
(c) By having Quail dress as a priest and take his confession.
(d) By having Quail dress as a woman and trick him.
5. According to Demetrio Macias, who defeated all the federal soldiers in town with just a half dozen men?
(a) Julian Medina.
(b) Emiliano Zapata.
(c) Demetrio Macias.
(d) Pancho Villa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news do the muleteers bring to the revolutionaries?
2. What moves Luis Cervantes to change sides in the conflict?
3. What skill has made Demetrio Macias' men famous?
4. What effect does Camila's speech have on Luis Cervantes?
5. What does the author say that alcohol was to the rebels in their celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Luis Cervantes annoyed by Camila?
2. The author uses the words "gold" or "golden" several times in his description of the Sierra. What symbolism might there be in calling the calf they are preparing to eat "golden?"
3. How does Luis Cervantes react when Camila tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
4. Why does Quail object to Pancracio killing the Federal officer?
5. What had offended Luis Cervantes during his time with the Federal army?
6. Why does Demetrio Macias order Quail to steal a priest's cassock?
7. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight for the cause?
8. What does Luis Cervantes insist that the band should do when he learns that Huerta is preparing a final defense in Zacatecas?
9. What kindness from a village girl impresses Demetrio Macias?
10. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do as they approach the town where they are planning to attack the Federal soldiers?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)