|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Venancio want to do when the war is over?
(a) Stay in the military.
(b) Grow his barber business.
(c) Get married.
(d) Become a doctor.
2. What greets Demetrio Macias' men as they enter the plaza of the village?
(a) A hail of rifle fire.
(b) A group of peasants.
(c) A priest and some beggars.
(d) A squadron of deserters.
3. What skill has made Demetrio Macias' men famous?
(a) Military strategy.
4. What do Demetrio Macias' men plan to do if they outnumber the Federal soldiers?
(a) Scare them.
(b) Kill them all.
(c) Die bravely.
(d) Chase them out of town.
5. What did the rebels make hand grenades with?
(a) Gunpowder and firecrackers.
(b) Caps and rocks.
(c) Gasoline and rags.
(d) Iron pipes and brass knobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the news from the capital say about Huerta?
2. What does Luis Cervantes say will be the result of their uprising?
3. What does Luis Cervantes say are the most sacred things any man has?
4. What does Demetrio Macias say he would be doing if Don Monico hadn't tried to arrest him?
5. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do before attacking a village?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the rebels refer to their opponents and why?
2. Why does Luis Cervantes think that Demetrio Macias has run into the hills?
3. What had offended Luis Cervantes during his time with the Federal army?
4. Why does Luis Cervantes begin to suspect that he has made another mistake?
5. How did Luis Cervantes change his allegiance from the Federal army?
6. The author uses the words "gold" or "golden" several times in his description of the Sierra. What symbolism might there be in calling the calf they are preparing to eat "golden?"
7. How does Camila expect Luis Cervantes to react when she tells him that Demetrio Macias has been flirting with her?
8. Why does the villager tell Demetrio Macias that it doesn't matter how many Federal soldiers are in the barracks?
9. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do as they approach the town where they are planning to attack the Federal soldiers?
10. How were Demetrio Macias and his men able to get the drop on the Federal soldiers in the barracks?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)