|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advantage do Anastasio and Demetrio Macias believe Luis Cervantes possesses?
(a) He can grasp complicated concepts.
(b) He can read and write.
(c) He can make stirring speeches.
(d) He can attract women.
2. What honor does Natera give Demetrio Macias?
(a) He makes him a captain.
(b) He makes him a colonel.
(c) He makes him a general.
(d) He gives him a hero's award.
3. Who fights over their card game?
(a) Anastasio and Quail.
(b) Quail and Lard.
(c) Pancracio and Anastasio.
(d) Lard and Pancracio.
4. What happens to two of Demetrio Macias' recruits during the celebration?
(a) They run away.
(b) They are sick from drinking too much.
(c) They land in jail.
(d) They are shot and killed.
5. What did the rebels make hand grenades with?
(a) Caps and rocks.
(b) Gasoline and rags.
(c) Gunpowder and firecrackers.
(d) Iron pipes and brass knobs.
6. What does Quail have nightmares about?
(a) Men he saw shot.
(b) Men he stabbed.
(c) Men he shot.
(d) Men he saw hung.
7. What does Luis Cervantes say Natera and Demetrio Macias will bring to their country?
(a) Nothing but shame.
(b) Nothing but optimism.
(c) Nothing but glory.
(d) Nothing but freedom.
8. What does the author say that alcohol was to the rebels in their celebration?
(a) A warmth in the heart.
(b) A warmth in the belly.
(c) A giver of courage.
(d) A bad advisor.
9. To whom does the young carpenter who has been conscripted into the army pray?
(a) His sainted mother.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(d) The Virgin of Guadalupe.
10. How does Demetrio Macias plan to learn Luis Cervantes' true intentions?
(a) By having Quail dress as a Federal soldier and offer to help.
(b) By having Quail dress as a woman and trick him.
(c) By having Quail dress as a priest and take his confession.
(d) By having Quail torture him until he confesses.
11. What does the news from the capital say about Huerta?
(a) His family is fleeing the country.
(b) He has surrundered.
(c) He has vowed to fight to the death.
(d) He has regained control of the capital.
12. What does Natera say that he has heard abou Demetrio Macias?
(a) Demetrio Macias cannot be trusted to be loyal.
(b) Demetrio Macias will soon be a general himself.
(c) Demetrio Macias has been thrashing Federal soldiers.
(d) Demetrio Macias has met a succession of defeats.
13. According to Demetrio Macias, who defeated all the federal soldiers in town with just a half dozen men?
(a) Julian Medina.
(b) Emiliano Zapata.
(c) Demetrio Macias.
(d) Pancho Villa.
14. What does the federal colonel do to punish Luis Cervantes when he finds him asleep?
(a) Sends him to work in the kitchen.
(b) Sends him to the firing squad.
(c) Sends him to the general.
(d) Sends him to the brig.
15. How does the villager assure Demetrio Macias that the Federal soldiers are not dangerous?
(a) They were drafted against their will.
(b) They are poorly educated.
(c) They are untrained fighters.
(d) They have no weapons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anastasio give the villager?
2. Where did the Federal lieutenant meet Demetrio Macias?
3. What does Luis Cervantes tell Camila her future would be like with Demetrio Macias?
4. Where does Demetrio Macias sleep the night after he leaves home?
5. Who was Luis Cervantes riding with before Demetrio Macias?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)