|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the federal colonel do to punish Luis Cervantes when he finds him asleep?
(a) Sends him to work in the kitchen.
(b) Sends him to the firing squad.
(c) Sends him to the brig.
(d) Sends him to the general.
2. Demetrio Macias says that you find out who your true friends are in __________________.
(a) Bed and prison.
(b) Church and school.
(c) Hospital and prison.
(d) Hospital and school.
3. What is the first cure the neighborhood women use for Demetrio Macias' fever?
(a) Pulque to drink.
(b) Alcohol-soaked bread on his abdomen.
(c) Pigeon blood on his abdomen.
(d) Corn liquor to drink.
4. What does Luis Cervantes hear on his first fighting encounter with the rebels?
(a) "For God and country!"
(b) "Every man for himself!"
(c) "One for all and all for one!"
(d) "Death to the infidels!"
5. What does Demetrio Macias' wife want him to do to the marauders?
(a) Release them.
(b) Kill them.
(c) Feed them dinner.
(d) Tell the authorities about them.
6. What does Luis Cervantes tell Demetrio Macias that Macias does not yet understand?
(a) Macias does not understand the thrill of battle.
(b) Macias does not understand the cacique system.
(c) Macias does not understand his own noble mission.
(d) Macias does not understand the villainy of politicians.
7. By what animal's name do Demetrio Macias' men most often call the Federal soldiers?
8. What did the rebels make hand grenades with?
(a) Gasoline and rags.
(b) Iron pipes and brass knobs.
(c) Gunpowder and firecrackers.
(d) Caps and rocks.
9. Who is Palomo the Dove?
(a) Demetrio Macias' dog.
(b) Demetrio Macias' son.
(c) Demetrio Macias.
(d) Demetrio Macias' wife.
10. What do the rebels take from the soldiers?
(a) Their money.
(b) Their watches.
(c) Their uniforms.
(d) Their clothes.
11. According to Demetrio Macias, who defeated all the federal soldiers in town with just a half dozen men?
(a) Pancho Villa.
(b) Emiliano Zapata.
(c) Demetrio Macias.
(d) Julian Medina.
12. What does Camila's mother do to drive out the evil spirits that are making the girl sad?
(a) She forces her to fast.
(b) She sends her with the rebels.
(c) She locks her away.
(d) She beats her.
13. What is the leader of the Federal soldiers doing during the attack by Demetrio Macias?
(b) Running away.
(c) Composing a letter describing his victory.
(d) Leading the assault.
14. What effect does Camila's speech have on Luis Cervantes?
(a) Like steel scratching glass.
(b) Like a guitar at night.
(c) Like a river over rocks.
(d) Like birds singing.
15. What does the author say that alcohol was to the rebels in their celebration?
(a) A giver of courage.
(b) A warmth in the heart.
(c) A bad advisor.
(d) A warmth in the belly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Camila do that wins the affection of Demetrio Macias?
2. Who fights over their card game?
3. What does the leader of the Federal soldiers expect will be the result of the attack by Demetrio Macias?
4. To what does Luis Cervantes' old acquaintance compare the men in the revolution?
5. Why are there more Federal soldiers in town than Demetrio Macias had anticipated?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)