|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What treat does Demetrio Macias bring to his men in the hills?
(c) Dried beef.
2. Who kills the brother of the guide from the village?
(c) Demetrio Macias.
(d) Luis Cervantes.
3. What do Demetrio Macias' men do when they find Serapio and Antonio, who were thought to be lost, hanged?
(a) Recite the Lord's prayer.
(b) Thank the Virgin of Guadalupe.
(c) Break out a jug of pulque.
(d) Beat the two men for deserting.
4. What does the neighborhood say has happened to Marcelina?
(a) She's pregnant by a Federal soldier.
(b) She's joined a convent.
(c) She's run away to the city.
(d) She's gone to help the monks.
5. What is a curro?
(a) A foreigner.
(b) A city slicker.
(c) A country bumpkin.
(d) A hillbilly.
6. What did the villager who helped Demetrio Macias want the rebels to do in return?
(a) To spare his brother.
(b) To release his brother from the guardhouse.
(c) To find his brother.
(d) To kill his brother.
7. Why does Senora Remigia have little food for Demetrio Macias' men?
(a) Her husband took her supplies off to the war.
(b) Bandits raided her compound.
(c) The Federal soldiers took everything.
(d) The Federal soldiers burned her fields.
8. What does Luis Cervantes say Villa, Carranza, and Natera are all fighting against?
9. What honor does Natera give Demetrio Macias?
(a) He makes him a colonel.
(b) He makes him a general.
(c) He makes him a captain.
(d) He gives him a hero's award.
10. What effect does Camila's speech have on Luis Cervantes?
(a) Like a guitar at night.
(b) Like a river over rocks.
(c) Like birds singing.
(d) Like steel scratching glass.
11. Why does Demetrio Macias think his hiding place is safe?
(a) The Federal soldiers are cowardly.
(b) Demetrio Macias has the high ground.
(c) The Federal soldiers don't know the territory.
(d) The Federal soldiers don't know how to track.
12. What does Luis Cervantes hear on his first fighting encounter with the rebels?
(a) "For God and country!"
(b) "One for all and all for one!"
(c) "Every man for himself!"
(d) "Death to the infidels!"
13. How did Demetrio Macias get the drop on the Federal soldiers?
(a) He hid behind the horses in the corral.
(b) He sneaked up behind them onto the church tower.
(c) He forced the villager to guide him to their hideout.
(d) He broke a hole through the wall around them.
14. Where does Demetrio Macias instruct his wife to go?
(a) To the neighbor's house.
(b) To her uncle's house.
(c) To her father's house.
(d) To his father's house.
15. By what animal's name do Demetrio Macias' men most often call the Federal soldiers?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Don Monico come to arrest Demetrio Macias?
2. What advantage do Anastasio and Demetrio Macias believe Luis Cervantes possesses?
3. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do before attacking a village?
4. How does Luis Cervantes come to feel about the rebel cause after his experience with the federal army?
5. What do Demetrio Macias' men plan to do if they outnumber the Federal soldiers?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)