|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Demetrio Macias decide not to take a village girl with him?
(a) He wants to be true to his wife.
(b) He doesn't want to frighten Camila.
(c) He doesn't want to leave dark memories.
(d) He doesn't want to have to bring her back.
2. How does Luis Cervantes refer to the rebels?
(a) Comrades in arms.
3. Who kills the leader of the Federal soldiers?
(a) Demetrio Macias.
(d) Luis Cervantes.
4. What keeps Luis Cervantes from sleeping on his first night with Demetrio Macias' band?
(a) His wounded foot.
(b) His battered body.
(c) His sense of failure.
(d) The smell of animals.
5. Where does Demetrio Macias sleep the night after he leaves home?
(a) Under a tree.
(b) In a cave.
(c) In a deserted shack.
(d) On the ground between boulders.
6. Who kills the brother of the guide from the village?
(c) Demetrio Macias.
(d) Luis Cervantes.
7. What profession gives Venancio his medical knowledge?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is a law student.
(c) He is a barber.
(d) He is a dentist.
8. How did Demetrio Macias get the drop on the Federal soldiers?
(a) He hid behind the horses in the corral.
(b) He broke a hole through the wall around them.
(c) He sneaked up behind them onto the church tower.
(d) He forced the villager to guide him to their hideout.
9. What happens to two of Demetrio Macias' recruits during the celebration?
(a) They land in jail.
(b) They are shot and killed.
(c) They are sick from drinking too much.
(d) They run away.
10. What is the first cure the neighborhood women use for Demetrio Macias' fever?
(a) Alcohol-soaked bread on his abdomen.
(b) Pulque to drink.
(c) Corn liquor to drink.
(d) Pigeon blood on his abdomen.
11. What is Luis Cervantes' profession?
(a) Journalist and medical student.
(b) Poet and novelist.
(c) Journalist and novelist.
(d) Medical student and novelist.
12. How long has Luis Cervantes been fighting with the rebels?
(a) Two years.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
13. How does the villager assure Demetrio Macias that the Federal soldiers are not dangerous?
(a) They are poorly educated.
(b) They have no weapons.
(c) They are untrained fighters.
(d) They were drafted against their will.
14. What does Quail have nightmares about?
(a) Men he saw shot.
(b) Men he shot.
(c) Men he saw hung.
(d) Men he stabbed.
15. What does Luis Cervantes try to persuade Demetrio Macias to do before attacking a village?
(a) Find a guide.
(b) Find a spy.
(c) Find out when the Federal soldiers were there last.
(d) Learn what side the people are on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the leader of the Federal soldiers doing during the attack by Demetrio Macias?
2. How many battles has the leader of the Federal soldiers fought?
3. What does the author say that alcohol was to the rebels in their celebration?
4. How many men are riding with Demetrio Macias?
5. What do the rebels take from the soldiers?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)