|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anastasio give the villager?
(a) A secret signal.
(c) Hand grenades.
(d) A rifle.
2. What skill has made Demetrio Macias' men famous?
(b) Military strategy.
3. What treat does Demetrio Macias bring to his men in the hills?
(b) Dried beef.
4. What does the author say that alcohol was to the rebels in their celebration?
(a) A bad advisor.
(b) A warmth in the heart.
(c) A giver of courage.
(d) A warmth in the belly.
5. According to Demetrio Macias, who defeated all the federal soldiers in town with just a half dozen men?
(a) Pancho Villa.
(b) Julian Medina.
(c) Demetrio Macias.
(d) Emiliano Zapata.
6. Who recognizes Luis Cervantes from his days with the Federal army?
7. Demetrio Macias says that you find out who your true friends are in __________________.
(a) Bed and prison.
(b) Church and school.
(c) Hospital and school.
(d) Hospital and prison.
8. Why do the neighbor women come to borrow from Senora Remigia?
(a) They are without food.
(b) They enjoy her company.
(c) She is a spy.
(d) To gossip about Demetrio Macias.
9. What does Natera say that he has heard abou Demetrio Macias?
(a) Demetrio Macias has met a succession of defeats.
(b) Demetrio Macias has been thrashing Federal soldiers.
(c) Demetrio Macias will soon be a general himself.
(d) Demetrio Macias cannot be trusted to be loyal.
10. What is Luis Cervantes' profession?
(a) Poet and novelist.
(b) Journalist and medical student.
(c) Medical student and novelist.
(d) Journalist and novelist.
11. Why is Anastasio Montanes unafraid of bullets?
(a) He wears a bulletproof vest.
(b) He's been shot many times.
(c) He is too fast to be shot.
(d) He is hoping to die.
12. What do Demetrio Macias' men plan to do if the Federal soldiers outnumber them?
(a) Kill them all.
(b) Scare them.
(c) Chase them out of town.
(d) Die bravely.
13. What effect does Camila's speech have on Luis Cervantes?
(a) Like a guitar at night.
(b) Like steel scratching glass.
(c) Like birds singing.
(d) Like a river over rocks.
14. Why are there more Federal soldiers in town than Demetrio Macias had anticipated?
(a) They had met up with unexpected reinforcements.
(b) They had recruited the villagers.
(c) They had released the prisoners from jail.
(d) They had telephoned for reinforcements.
15. What moves Luis Cervantes to change sides in the conflict?
(a) The hope of fighting on the winning side.
(b) The suffering of the dispossessed.
(c) The chance to get loot.
(d) The chance for the respect of the people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Crispin Robles recruit men to fight with him?
2. What is the first cure the neighborhood women use for Demetrio Macias' fever?
3. Who kills the brother of the guide from the village?
4. What do the rebels take from the soldiers?
5. Where does Luis Cervantes sleep when he joins Demetrio Macias' band?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)