|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What profession gives Venancio his medical knowledge?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is a law student.
(c) He is a barber.
(d) He is a dentist.
2. What keeps Luis Cervantes from sleeping on his first night with Demetrio Macias' band?
(a) The smell of animals.
(b) His sense of failure.
(c) His battered body.
(d) His wounded foot.
3. What does Luis Cervantes advise Demetrio Macias to do?
(a) Take over the command of Natera's forces.
(b) Join with Natera's forces.
(c) Ambush Natera's forces.
(d) Split from Natera's forces.
4. Why had Don Monico come to arrest Demetrio Macias?
(a) Demetrio Macias killed a man in a bar fight.
(b) Demetrio Macias was a witness to a murder.
(c) Demetrio Macias was a Maderista.
(d) Demetrio Macias killed Felipe Diaz.
5. What does Camila's mother do to drive out the evil spirits that are making the girl sad?
(a) She sends her with the rebels.
(b) She forces her to fast.
(c) She locks her away.
(d) She beats her.
6. What do Demetrio Macias' men plan to do if the Federal soldiers outnumber them?
(a) Die bravely.
(b) Kill them all.
(c) Chase them out of town.
(d) Scare them.
7. What did the villager who helped Demetrio Macias want the rebels to do in return?
(a) To spare his brother.
(b) To release his brother from the guardhouse.
(c) To find his brother.
(d) To kill his brother.
8. How did Demetrio Macias get the drop on the Federal soldiers?
(a) He sneaked up behind them onto the church tower.
(b) He broke a hole through the wall around them.
(c) He forced the villager to guide him to their hideout.
(d) He hid behind the horses in the corral.
9. Who recognizes Luis Cervantes from his days with the Federal army?
10. What does the author say that alcohol was to the rebels in their celebration?
(a) A giver of courage.
(b) A warmth in the heart.
(c) A warmth in the belly.
(d) A bad advisor.
11. Why do the neighbor women come to borrow from Senora Remigia?
(a) They enjoy her company.
(b) To gossip about Demetrio Macias.
(c) She is a spy.
(d) They are without food.
12. Why does Demetrio Macias send his wife away?
(a) He doesn't want her to be lonely while he is away.
(b) He believes the Federal soldiers will be back.
(c) He doesn't want her to see him kill the soldiers.
(d) He believes she doesn't love him any more.
13. How does Luis Cervantes come to feel about the rebel cause after his experience with the federal army?
(a) The rebel cause is evil.
(b) The rebel cause is doomed.
(c) The rebel cause comes from misunderstanding.
(d) The rebel cause is pure justice.
14. What do the rebels take from the soldiers?
(a) Their money.
(b) Their clothes.
(c) Their watches.
(d) Their uniforms.
15. Why does Demetrio Macias decide not to take a village girl with him?
(a) He wants to be true to his wife.
(b) He doesn't want to have to bring her back.
(c) He doesn't want to leave dark memories.
(d) He doesn't want to frighten Camila.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Luis Cervantes to eat and cleans his wounded leg?
2. What moves Luis Cervantes to change sides in the conflict?
3. What does Demetrio Macias hope to do when the war is over?
4. What does Camila do that wins the affection of Demetrio Macias?
5. How did his men make a stretcher for the wounded Demetrio Macias?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)