|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the artist sublimate the actual pleasure of one's dreams into?
2. What does Freud suggest about the memories we recall as adults about our childhood really are?
3. Who did Henri stay at the countryside with?
4. What does the subconscious desire allow to manifest in the conscious mind of a dreamer, according to Freud?
5. What does the ego have during day and night dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the uncanny really a familiar thing to a person, according to Freud?
2. Describe what form the uncanny may take.
3. Why was Da Vinci known as the "Italian-Faust"?
4. Discuss the prevalence of both the enigmatic smile and presence of babies in Da Vinci's work.
5. How do female responses differ in familial fantasies according to Freud?
6. What role does the evil twin of evil double have on the uncanny?
7. Discuss Da Vinci in relationship to science and art congruently.
8. Describe Leonardo da Vinci.
9. What is an artist able to do for him or herself and his or her viewers?
10. What is suggested about the uncanny in relationship to the theme of the entire book of "The Uncanny"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe how Freud explains to his readers what an uncanny is to an individual.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Freud argues artists are capable of manifesting pleasures desired in their dreams through their work.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how and why the subconscious desires to reconcile with the conscious and what happens as a result from the attempted reconciliation.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)