|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the first essay of "The Uncanny" discuss?
2. What must be disguised symbolically in the form of a dream?
3. What can fantasies do for a healthy dreamer?
4. What is the second force Freud mentions is at play in childhood memories?
5. What must childhood memories be triggered by, according to Freud?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what form the uncanny may take.
2. According to Freud, discuss the projections of one's unconscious.
3. What does Freud see the common fear of blindness really is?
4. Describe the result of the subconscious trying to reconcile with the conscious, according to Freud.
5. Describe Leonardo da Vinci.
6. Describe Freud's student that has an adult fear of sand.
7. What role do repressed sexual desires have on the uncanny?
8. Describe Da Vinci's desire for perfection.
9. What happens in Henri's adolescent memory?
10. What is suggested about the uncanny in relationship to the theme of the entire book of "The Uncanny"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Freud argues artists are capable of manifesting pleasures desired in their dreams through their work.
Essay Topic 2
Compare healthy fantasies to unhealthy fantasies as described by Freud in "Creative Writing and Daydreaming."
Essay Topic 3
Explain the idea and theme of Freud's that neurosis occurs from repression in the subconscious or conscious.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)