|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the first essay of "The Uncanny" discuss?
2. When does conflict arise between the two forces in the case of childhood memories?
3. Who are V. and C. Henri?
4. According to Freud, what do childhood memories appear to be?
5. What is the second force Freud mentions is at play in childhood memories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freud see happening from living out possibilities that would be denied to the daydreamer in real life?
2. What are screen memories?
3. Why was Da Vinci known as the "Italian-Faust"?
4. Describe what an unconscious mind operates on.
5. What does Freud conclude about Henri's case?
6. Discuss the two forces Freud finds at play during childhood memories.
7. Describe the result of the subconscious trying to reconcile with the conscious, according to Freud.
8. Describe Da Vinci's childhood memory.
9. What is the uncanny at odds with, according to Freud?
10. What type of fantasies do children have in comparison to adults?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Freud's student who was afraid of sand and why this example of uncanny developed and stayed with him through his adult years.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe how Freud explains to his readers what an uncanny is to an individual.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the story of "Oedipus Rex" by Sophocles is congruent to the ideas of "The Uncanny."
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)