|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Freud, what do childhood memories appear to be?
(c) Emotionally unimportant.
(d) Emotionally important.
2. Who are V. and C. Henri?
(a) An example of dependency.
(b) An example of healthy daydreaming.
(c) An example of neurosis.
(d) An example of childhood memory distortion.
3. How does Freud see a person's dreams at night?
(a) A break from reality.
(b) Fantastical realizations.
(c) Opportunities for the unconsicous mind and the id to fulfill their desires.
(d) A path to an opportunity of reality.
4. What can fantasies do for a healthy dreamer?
(a) Dream big.
(b) Stay grounded.
(c) Reach one's dreams.
(d) Think through the possibilities of the future.
5. What does Freud suggest memory like episodes should be called?
(a) Movie images.
(b) Movie memories.
(c) Screen images.
(d) Screen memories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Freud suggest about the memories we recall as adults about our childhood really are?
2. How many forces does Freud argue are at play in the formation of early childhood memories?
3. What does the little girl represent in Henri's adolescent memory?
4. What does play turn into for a person?
5. What is the condition of the memory once the two forces coexist in the case of a childhood memory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are most heroes in fiction classified as?
2. Why was Da Vinci known as the "Italian-Faust"?
3. How is the uncanny really a familiar thing to a person, according to Freud?
4. What is an artist able to do for him or herself and his or her viewers?
5. What role do repressed sexual desires have on the uncanny?
6. What is Da Vinci's sexual sublimation?
7. What is a person's daydream an attempt to live out?
8. Discuss the roles of substitution and repression in regard to emotionally traumatic events.
9. What is Freud's goal in his psychoanalysis of Da Vinci?
10. What is suggested about the uncanny in relationship to the theme of the entire book of "The Uncanny"?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)