|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being discharged from the Army, Serling used the GI Bill to continue his education where?
2. The position enabled Serling to gain a reputation as what?
3. When was Rod Serling born?
4. What did Bob and Rod both like?
5. How does the hypochondriac die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Houghton refer to "Walking Distance" as one of the best shows created in "The Twilight Zone?"
2. Why were the executives worried about buying "The Twilight Zone" as a serial?
3. Describe "The Lonely."
4. Why was Serling asked to write another script?
5. Describe Rod's experience in the Army.
6. Describe "Walking Distance."
7. What was Houghton's biggest concern for filming "The Lonely?"
8. What does Serling have to do now that this first episode appeared on the "Desilu Playhouse?" Why?
9. Why was the production of "Playhouse 90" difficult?
10. What did Serling do in Cincinnati?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps the most disturbing episode was "Long Distance Call".
Part 1) Describe "Long Distance Call". Why is this so disturbing?
Part 2) Why might television executives have accepted this script?
Part 3) How would audiences react to it today? Why?
Essay Topic 2
"The Time Element," first premiering on the "Desilu Playhouse," was very important.
Part 1) What is "The Time Element?" How was it able to air on on the "Desilu Playhouse?" What does this say about Desi Arnaz?
Part 2) Would "The Time Element" have been later used to create "The Twilight Zone" if it had not bee first aired on the "Desilu Playhouse?" Explain.
Part 3) Why was "The Time Element" such a success? How does his childhood interests play into this success?
Essay Topic 3
Luckily for Rod, television was still a relatively new medium in 1953.
Part 1) How does this make him lucky? How does television's newness also hurt him?
Part 2) How did "The Twilight Zone" and Rod Serling influence television?
Part 3) What influence of Rod's do you see in television today?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)