|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the main character in this story attempt suicide?
2. In 1953, when Serling's work appeared on television, how did the critics respond?
3. How did some refer to Houghton?
4. Serling was encouraged to do what?
5. Where did Houghton decide to film the show?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the idea behind the final script for "The Time Element?"
2. Why was the production of "Playhouse 90" difficult?
3. Describe Rod's experience in the Army.
4. Describe "Walking Distance."
5. Why does Houghton refer to "Walking Distance" as one of the best shows created in "The Twilight Zone?"
6. What is the original opening narration?
7. Who does Rod want to be the show's producer? Who becomes the producer? Why?
8. Describe "The Lonely."
9. What does Serling have to do now that this first episode appeared on the "Desilu Playhouse?" Why?
10. What did Serling do in Cincinnati?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the show was renewed, the format was changed.
Part 1) How was the format prior to the change? How was it changed?
Part 2) Why was the format prior to the change? Was this a good idea? Why or why not?
Part 3) Did this change last? Why or why not? How did changes affect the show?
Essay Topic 2
the show greatly affected Serling.
Part 1) How was Serling affected by "The Twilight Zone"? How was the show affected by him?
Part 2) How did Serling's childhood, interests, and personality play into the creating of "The Twilight Zone"?
Part 3) How did this show affect others? How different might their lives have been if "The Twilight Zone" had never been created?
Essay Topic 3
The plot of "The Time Element" had to be changed.
Part 1) What was the original plot? How was it changed? Why was it changed?
Part 2) How did this change reflect the attitudes of the network?
Part 3) Would anyone have been offended by the first plot? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)