|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading the show's script, how did the CBS executives feel about the premise of "The Twilight Zone?"
2. Rod enlisted in what U.S. Army division?
3. Serling went into freelance writing, an occupation that was what?
4. Does anyone believe the premonition?
5. How does Houghton refer to "Walking Distance?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the initial idea for "The Time Element?" Why is it rejected?
2. What is the idea behind the final script for "The Time Element?"
3. Describe "Escape Clause."
4. What did Serling do in Cincinnati?
5. What task is Serling given, which is eventually delivered by him?
6. Describe Rod's experience in the Army.
7. What was Houghton's biggest concern for filming "The Lonely?"
8. What does Serling do over the next nine months?
9. Describe "Walking Distance."
10. What were the contractual agreements made by Serling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
the show greatly affected Serling.
Part 1) How was Serling affected by "The Twilight Zone"? How was the show affected by him?
Part 2) How did Serling's childhood, interests, and personality play into the creating of "The Twilight Zone"?
Part 3) How did this show affect others? How different might their lives have been if "The Twilight Zone" had never been created?
Essay Topic 2
Buck Houghton joins Serling's team as the producer.
Part 1) Who is Buck Houghton? How did people think of him?
Part 2) How much influence did Houghton have on the show?
Part 3) How different was the show after Houghton left? Why? How different might the show have been if he had never been a part of Serling's team? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
"The Twilight Zone" lost its time slot for the fourth season.
Part 1) Why did it lose its slot? Why did CBS allow this to happen?
Part 2) Why did Serling not like ABC's offer and suggestions? Should he have switched networks? Why or why not?
Part 3) How did this lost time slot seriously affect "The Twilight Zone"?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)