|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did executives from the networks heavily censor the show's scripts?
(a) In order to attract sponsors.
(b) In order to be politically correct.
(c) In order to placate sponsors.
(d) In order to placate the viewers.
2. How might Rod Serling be described?
(a) Unhappy and depressed.
(b) Attractive and articulate.
(c) Shy and quiet.
(d) Nervous and angry.
3. Since "The Time Element" had already appeared on the "Desilu Playhouse," what was Serling required to do?
(a) Add more characters into the script.
(b) Help hire a new cast.
(c) Write a half hour script.
(d) Write a new hour-long script.
4. For what position was Buck Houghton suggested?
(c) Acting coach.
5. After reading the show's script, how did the CBS executives feel about the premise of "The Twilight Zone?"
6. How did some refer to Houghton?
(a) As a good acting coach.
(b) As one of the best writers around.
(c) As a good manager.
(d) As one of the best producers around.
7. Where was the filming of "The Lonely" completed?
(d) Warner Bros.
8. How did Serling feel as the censorship increased?
(a) He became more worried.
(b) He became more safe.
(c) He became more angry.
(d) He became more frustrated.
9. Around whom does "Escape Clause" revolve?
(a) Mr. Sterling Hayden.
(b) Mr. Walter Bedeker.
(c) Mr. Al Denton.
(d) Mr. Pete Jenson.
10. One of the episodes sponsored by the Ford Motor Company required that what be done?
(a) The Chrysler Building be blacked out of the skyline because the two companies were competitors.
(b) A Ford car be found in every scene.
(c) The president of the Ford company must be a guest actor.
(d) The name Ford must be mentioned one hundred times.
11. Where did Houghton decide to film the show?
(a) In Yellow Stone.
(b) In Death Valley.
(c) In the Grand Canyon.
(d) In the Smoky Mountains.
12. Serling went into freelance writing, an occupation that was what?
(a) Very high-paying.
(c) Unsteady at best.
13. Who was the man's only company on this asteroid?
(a) A picture of his wife.
(b) A robot designed to look and behave like a human woman.
(c) A volleyball.
(d) A young woman.
14. Serling would be required to write what percent of the scripts for the show's first season?
(a) One hundred.
15. The positive response convinced CBS executives to do what?
(a) Sell "The Twilight Zone" to ABC.
(b) Give "The Twilight Zone" two seasons.
(c) Give "The Twilight Zone" a late night time slot.
(d) Give "The Twilight Zone" a chance.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the first year, Serling changed from physical education to what?
2. What does "Mr. Denton on Doomsday" detail?
3. How does Houghton refer to "Walking Distance?"
4. Who is Martin Sloan?
5. Although Serling admitted that "The Time Element" was certainly not a masterpiece, the show received more _____________ than any other show that premiered on the "Desilu Playhouse."
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)