|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the episodes sponsored by the Ford Motor Company required that what be done?
(a) The name Ford must be mentioned one hundred times.
(b) The Chrysler Building be blacked out of the skyline because the two companies were competitors.
(c) The president of the Ford company must be a guest actor.
(d) A Ford car be found in every scene.
2. How might Rod Serling be described?
(a) Nervous and angry.
(b) Shy and quiet.
(c) Unhappy and depressed.
(d) Attractive and articulate.
3. The position enabled Serling to gain a reputation as what?
(a) A comedic scriptwriter.
(b) A mediocre scriptwriter.
(c) A solid and talented scriptwriter.
(d) An unusual scriptwriter.
4. Where was the filming of "The Lonely" completed?
(b) Warner Bros.
5. Who is Pete Jenson in this first episode?
(a) A part-time unsuccssful coach and bartender.
(b) A part-time successful bookie and bartender.
(c) A part-time unsuccessful bookie and bartender.
(d) A part-time successful coach and bartender.
6. To what do some surmise Serling's military experience was the beginning?
(a) His interest in science fiction.
(b) His lifelong battle with CBS.
(c) His interest in war.
(d) His lifelong battle with nightmares and depression.
7. Does anyone believe the premonition?
(a) Yes, only a few people.
(c) Yes, everyone.
(d) Yes, most people.
8. What is one of Houghton's biggest concerns regarding the filming of this episode?
(a) Where to find the perfect female robot.
(b) Where to find a picture for the wife.
(c) Where to find the place to film the events on the asteroid.
(d) Whether the volleyball will work as a companion.
9. Rod resided in Binghamto until he joined the Army at what age?
10. Why does this character admit to killing his wife?
(a) He wants to feel the effects of the electric chair.
(b) He wants others to know how powerful he is.
(c) He does not love her.
(d) He feels guilty about what he had done.
11. For what position was Buck Houghton suggested?
(a) Acting coach.
12. Fortunately for Serling, ____________________ was still a relatively new medium.
13. Why did executives from the networks heavily censor the show's scripts?
(a) In order to placate sponsors.
(b) In order to be politically correct.
(c) In order to attract sponsors.
(d) In order to placate the viewers.
14. After graduation, the Serlings moved where?
15. How does the hypochondriac die?
(b) A drug overdose.
(c) Alcohol poisoning.
(d) A heart attack.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over the next nine months Serling wrote _______ scripts, each falling into one of three basic categories: fantasy, science fiction, and horror.
2. Rod enlisted in what U.S. Army division?
3. "There is a sixth dimension beyond that which is ______________. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity."
4. Eventually, "The Time Element" would end up as _______________ the pilot episode of "The Twilight Zone."
5. Serling's girlfriend recalls that Serling had a reputation of being what?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)