|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does William give Carney in jewels for a Guild membership in the end of the novel?
2. Who steams her sinuses, lamenting that they cannot arrest William without revealing that she is a werewolf?
3. Who sells Pin and Tulip a Times when they leave Biers Bar?
4. Gunilla reveals to William that the dwarfs are ready to sell out and return to where?
5. What is another term for a staff representing an office, authority, or baton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excuse of Lord de Worde's does William refuse to accept in the final section of the book?
2. What do Pin and Tulip do after forcing their way into Mr. Slant's office in pages 229-260?
3. What happens when Otto takes an iconograph of Pin in pages 163-197?
4. For whom is Tulip searching in pages 163-197? Why?
5. What does Otto resist doing to Lord de Worde in the end of the novel?
6. What demand does William make of his father in the final section of the book? What is Lord de Worde's response?
7. Who leads William to Wuffles in pages 229-260?
8. How does William feel about his father's bigotry? How is this illustrated in pages 163-197?
9. How does William go about finding his own proof for the Patrician's innocent in pages 163-197?
10. What changes in William once he discovers his father's involvement in the plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the characters of Pin and Tulip in the narrative. What was Pratchett's inspiration for these criminals? What literary or pop culture allusions are made?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze William's interaction with Arthur Crank in the narrative. How does William encounter Crank? How does he determine this is "street performance"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Coffin Henry, Arnold Sideways, Duck Man, and Altogether Andrews. What comic relief do each of these characters provide? What are each of their characteristics?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)