|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Pin and Tulip break into the Temple of Om to steal?
2. Where does Gaspode dive when he comes to the bridge and sees all the other dogs?
3. Who is favored to succeed Vetinari?
4. After speaking with William, Dibbler accepts a commission job _________ for the Times.
5. The dwarfs believe that using black light for iconography is bad luck, but the Times iconographer justifies it using what theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who leads William to Wuffles in pages 229-260?
2. What excuse of Lord de Worde's does William refuse to accept in the final section of the book?
3. What symbolic argument takes place between William and Vimes in pages 163-197?
4. What leads Pin to murder Tulip in pages 260-290?
5. Why do the dwarfs attempt to break into the Inquirer's office in pages 229-260? Who do they find?
6. What do Pin and Tulip do with the terriers in pages 163-197? How are the terriers saved?
7. What demand does William make of his father in the final section of the book? What is Lord de Worde's response?
8. What symbolic imagery is depicted in the destruction of the shed in pages 260-290? How is Death described?
9. How does William go about finding his own proof for the Patrician's innocent in pages 163-197?
10. What event shows William and Sacharissa's dedication to the news at the end of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Commander Vimes and the role of the City Watch in the narrative. Who makes up the City Watch?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Commander Vimes and Vetinari. How do these men differ in power and stature? What similarities do they share?
Essay Topic 3
Define, identify, and analyze the narrative style of The Truth. How is Pratchett's style in this novel like and/or unlike his style in the other Discworld books?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)