|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leaving his meeting with Vetinari, William encounters a crowd urging a man to do what?
2. Who is generally acknowledged to be the leader of the Misbegot Bridge Crew?
3. How much do Slant and Ronald Carney of the newly combined Guild of Engravers and Printers demand for a one-time shakedown fee from William?
4. What is the name of the Ankh-Morpork police force?
5. How much money do Pin and Tulip offer a clothes seller to impersonate the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstructions does the Guild of Engravers pose for the Times in pages 98-126?
2. How do the Patrician and William meet? How do they differ on the value of letters?
3. Describe the satirical elements in the scene at the Oblong Office in pages 98-126. What is the key evidence?
4. How and why is a plot developed against the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork?
5. What happens to the thief who accosts Pin and Tulip in pages 98-126? What "prize" does Tulip gain?
6. What news opens the novel The Truth? Who records this news?
7. What happens when William interviews Arthur Crank?
8. What skills as a reporter does William learn in pages 98-126? How does he hold up against Carney and Slant?
9. What is William's reaction to the outselling of the Times in pages 32-64? How has his audience changed?
10. Describe the narrative style of The Truth. What stylistic elements depart from traditional format?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of William de Worde and Lord Havelock Vetinari. What differences are there in age, stature, power, etc.? What similarities can be seen in the characteristics of each?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of press and state in the novel. How is this demonstrated in William's argument with Vimes? What is Pratchett's statement about contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author Sir Terry Pratchett. For what genres is Pratchett most well-known? How many Discworld novels has Pratchett written?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)