|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the Misbegot Bridge Crew uses the loss of both legs to full advantage in bar fights?
2. William agrees with his father that "lies could run around the world before the truth could" ___________.
3. What do the small dog and figure wearing a strange and grubby coat and a brimmed hat in the beginning of the novel share?
4. What invention is Otto working on for taking pictures with light from the other side of darkness that only imps can see?
5. After William leaves the Watch headquarters, Angua warns Vimes not to underestimate William's powers of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What clues does William discover and expand on in the Oblong Office in pages 98-126?
2. Describe the satirical elements in the scene at the Oblong Office in pages 98-126. What is the key evidence?
3. How is the theme of racism illustrated through William's hiring Otto Chriek?
4. With what phrase in pages 98-126 does William agree with his father for once?
5. What effect does the iconograph machine have on Otto? How does the iconographer work?
6. How is Igor described? What news does William learn from him in pages 98-126?
7. What temptation does Otto face when Sacharissa is injured in pages 98-126? Why?
8. How and why is a plot developed against the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork?
9. What happens when William interviews Arthur Crank?
10. What does the Ankh-Morpork Inquirer do in an attempt to shut down the Times in pages 98-126?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Wuffles and the role of animals in the narrative. Why is Wuffles a threat to Pin and Tulip? What animals can speak in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Define, identify, and analyze the narrative style of The Truth. How is Pratchett's style in this novel like and/or unlike his style in the other Discworld books?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Commander Vimes and Vetinari. How do these men differ in power and stature? What similarities do they share?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)