|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. William finds his father and is not satisfied by the father's excuse that _______________.
(a) The ends justify the means.
(b) One in the hand is worth two in the bush.
(c) The meek inherit the earth.
(d) The righteous will premail.
2. At the end of the novel, William and Sacharissa go to a noodle place located on what street?
(a) Guild Street.
(b) Elm St. En route.
(c) Wonderworld Street.
(d) Gleam Street.
3. What explodes, leading to the destruction of William's print shed?
(a) The print machine.
(b) Old paint tins.
(c) The oil tiles.
(d) The roof.
4. What does William imply to Vimes that Scrope's business is actually manufacturing?
(b) Sex toys.
5. In Greek mythology, who was the king punished by being compelled to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sells Pin and Tulip a Times when they leave Biers Bar?
2. When Slant tries to sneak a few fake diamonds into his payment to Pin and Tulip, what does Pin pull on him?
3. Who has an idea for Gaspode's disguise under the Misbegot Bridge?
4. What is the real identity of the enormous nun who assists in dispersing the crowd attempting to pass off dogs for the reward at the Times?
5. Whom does Gunilla want to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Otto takes an iconograph of Pin in pages 163-197?
2. What symbolic argument takes place between William and Vimes in pages 163-197?
3. How does William's sense of the truth affect him as a newspaper writer?
4. Why does a crowd form at the Times in pages 197-229? What does Sacharissa make of it?
5. What theological discussion do Pin and Tulip share in pages 229-260?
6. What leads up to the climax of The Truth in pages 260-290?
7. What argument arises about the power and danger of dark light in pages 163-197?
8. What leads to William's publishing a half-truth in pages 260-290? Who follows William when he goes to the de Worde estate?
9. Whom does William hire as his lawyer in the end of the novel? Why?
10. For whom is Tulip searching in pages 163-197? Why?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)