|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does William see crawling in the shadows at the Watch headquarters when he is meeting with Vimes?
(a) Sgt. Angua.
(b) Cpl. Nobbs.
(c) Sgt. Colon.
(d) Sgt. Detritus.
2. What position does Duke Samuel Vimes hold with the Ankh-Morpork City Watch?
3. Who must be restrained from outright killing Vetinari when he first exits William's office?
4. What character is about 34 years old, skinny, smelly, and chain smokes without exhaling?
(a) Cpl. Nobby Nobbs.
(b) Sgt. Detritus.
(c) Rufus Drumknott.
(d) Sgt. Fred Colon.
5. What granddaughter of an engraver, whose services William de Worde uses while publishing his newsletter, confronts William when he begins using dwarf printers for his expanding work?
(a) Gunilla Goodmountain.
(c) Mrs. Eucrasia Arcanum.
(d) Sacharissa Cripslock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vetinari, upon first arriving at William's office, has his fears allayed that the shed is not built on a crack in _________.
2. Who is generally acknowledged to be the leader of the Misbegot Bridge Crew?
3. Who is for seven years the President of the Guild of Shoemakers and Leathermakers and favored to succeed the dishonored Patrician?
4. In the beginning of the novel, the dwarfs print 100 copies of William's newspaper and price each at ______.
5. What pledge did Otto take to never again drink human blood or the b-vord as he refers to it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the rumor of the Patrician murdering his secretary turn out to be?
2. What temptation does Otto face when Sacharissa is injured in pages 98-126? Why?
3. How is William's relationship with his father described in the novel? How does William's education relate to his occupation?
4. What is William's reaction to the outselling of the Times in pages 32-64? How has his audience changed?
5. What obstructions does the Guild of Engravers pose for the Times in pages 98-126?
6. How are Tulip and Pin described in the narrative? What was Pratchett's inspiration for the characters?
7. What does William discover about the City Watch when he goes to investigate the murder at the Palace?
8. How is Igor described? What news does William learn from him in pages 98-126?
9. Why does William go to the engravers in the beginning of the novel? How is the engraver's office described?
10. Who is the Patrician's look-alike? What other characters are introduced in pages 32-64?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)