|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was fired at the Patrician's dog, missing and lodging in the carpet, forming prime evidence?
(a) A laser.
(b) A crossbow.
(c) A slingshot.
(d) A gun.
2. How many dwarfs have migrated to Ankh-Morpork in the beginning of the novel?
3. The Guild blocks the engraving of iconographs, but Otto believes that he can teach the imps to ________.
(a) Carve stone.
(b) Etch plates.
(c) Draw in the dirt.
(d) Use typewriters.
4. After William leaves the Watch headquarters, Angua warns Vimes not to underestimate William's powers of ___________.
5. Sacharissa's first story for William's paper is about what competition?
(a) The Mystery Meat Pizza Soiree.
(b) The Dolly Sisters Baking and Flower Circle Annual Competition.
(c) The Swanson Sweet Potato Bakeoff.
(d) The Dolly Sisters Sweet Potato Caserole Competition.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much do Slant and Ronald Carney of the newly combined Guild of Engravers and Printers demand for membership?
2. On guard duty in the beginning of the novel, Sgt. Colon and Cpl. Nobbs admit to seeing a rowboat in which who was bickering?
3. What citizen of Ankh-Morpork regularly brings to the office of the Ankh-Morpork Times oddly-shaped vegetables that he has grown?
4. William agrees with his father that "lies could run around the world before the truth could" ___________.
5. In a meeting with William, Vetinari wonders why normal people need ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does William discover about the City Watch when he goes to investigate the murder at the Palace?
2. What happens to the thief who accosts Pin and Tulip in pages 98-126? What "prize" does Tulip gain?
3. What news opens the novel The Truth? Who records this news?
4. With what phrase in pages 98-126 does William agree with his father for once?
5. What obstructions does the Guild of Engravers pose for the Times in pages 98-126?
6. What elements of foreshadowing can be found in pages 98-126? What objects are highlighted in this section?
7. How do the Patrician and William meet? How do they differ on the value of letters?
8. Who is the Patrician's look-alike? What other characters are introduced in pages 32-64?
9. What effect does the iconograph machine have on Otto? How does the iconographer work?
10. How are Tulip and Pin described in the narrative? What was Pratchett's inspiration for the characters?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)