|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to William, letters prove that people want to believe _________.
(a) The truth.
(b) The lies.
(c) The best.
(d) The worst.
2. What was fired at the Patrician's dog, missing and lodging in the carpet, forming prime evidence?
(a) A crossbow.
(b) A slingshot.
(c) A laser.
(d) A gun.
3. The Ankh-Morpork Inquirer's first issue headlines a woman giving birth to what?
(a) A horse.
(b) A bird.
(c) A cobra.
(d) An otter.
4. How much money do Pin and Tulip offer a clothes seller to impersonate the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork?
5. The crime scene at the Oblong Office reeks of what smell?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes in the beginning of the novel that William has always been troubled by the nature of _________.
2. What are miniature, magical, and long-eared creatures that in Discworld enable and operate various appliances?
3. What refers to a group of Ankh-Morpork notables devoted to saving the city from oblivion?
4. Who is the first woman to join the Ankh-Morpork City Watch?
5. Who is on duty in the Oblong Office when William comes investigating the Patrician's alleged attempted murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the iconograph machine have on Otto? How does the iconographer work?
2. How are Tulip and Pin described in the narrative? What was Pratchett's inspiration for the characters?
3. How is William's relationship with his father described in the novel? How does William's education relate to his occupation?
4. What does the rumor of the Patrician murdering his secretary turn out to be?
5. What does William fear about the Times' growth in pages 32-64?
6. How is the theme of racism illustrated through William's hiring Otto Chriek?
7. What obstructions does the Guild of Engravers pose for the Times in pages 98-126?
8. What skills as a reporter does William learn in pages 98-126? How does he hold up against Carney and Slant?
9. With what phrase in pages 98-126 does William agree with his father for once?
10. Who is the Patrician's look-alike? What other characters are introduced in pages 32-64?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)