|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the personal secretary to Lord Havelock Vetinari?
(a) Arthur Crank.
(b) Rufus Drumknott.
(c) Sacharissa Cripslock.
(d) Sgt. Angua.
2. Who is the first woman to join the Ankh-Morpork City Watch?
(a) Sgt. Amelia von ÃƒÅ“berwald.
(b) Sgt. Angela von ÃƒÅ“berwald.
(c) Sgt. Aurora von ÃƒÅ“berwald.
(d) Sgt. Angua von ÃƒÅ“berwald.
3. What does Tulip's apron say when he takes a barbecue set?
(a) "Hate the Cook!"
(b) "Love the Cook!"
(c) "Kiss the Cook!"
(d) "Kill the Cook!"
4. How much do Slant and Ronald Carney of the newly combined Guild of Engravers and Printers demand for membership?
5. William agrees with his father that "lies could run around the world before the truth could" ___________.
(a) Convince one person.
(b) Get started.
(c) Get its boots on.
(d) Become well known.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who must be restrained from outright killing Vetinari when he first exits William's office?
2. Pin and Tulip visit Thaumaturgical Park next to the UU to buy what?
3. What member of the Lawyers Guild considers himself a facilitator between Mr. Pin and Mr. Tulip?
4. When talking with Vimes at the Watch headquarters, William lets slip that he has not published the rumor about what creature on staff?
5. Rumors arise in the beginning of the novel that dwarfs are able to turn __________into gold.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Tulip and Pin described in the narrative? What was Pratchett's inspiration for the characters?
2. How and why is a plot developed against the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork?
3. What is William's reaction to the outselling of the Times in pages 32-64? How has his audience changed?
4. How is the theme of racism illustrated through William's hiring Otto Chriek?
5. What clues does William discover and expand on in the Oblong Office in pages 98-126?
6. With what phrase in pages 98-126 does William agree with his father for once?
7. How is William's relationship with his father described in the novel? How does William's education relate to his occupation?
8. What does William fear about the Times' growth in pages 32-64?
9. What does the Ankh-Morpork Inquirer do in an attempt to shut down the Times in pages 98-126?
10. How does the discussion between William and the Patrician in pages 64-98 illuminate the theme of truth?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)