|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Ginny write a letter in Chapter 15?
2. What causes a series of knocking sounds in the house?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Ginny envies about Florrie?
4. Which disease hits the midwife's family?
5. What does the doctor order Ginny to give to Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Tom's rants about taking care of people exposed to typhoid so ironic?
2. What is the purpose of Chapter 10 regarding Ginny's feelings about Florrie?
3. How is the blinding smoke a metaphor for Ginny and Tom's marriage?
4. Why do Florrie and Lily go to Ginny's house to help, and what do the two sisters think of Lily?
5. What is Tom's reaction when Ginny fires Florrie?
6. How does Ginny's view on the farm shift after spending time with Tom working in the fields?
7. Soon after the birth of Ginny's son, Muir, why does Tom get so angry when she invites the midwife's children to stay for awhile?
8. What tragedy occurs when Ginny attends her first revival in a long time?
9. How does Ginny feels that she has shunned the way of the church by working with Tom
10. What does Ginny realize about the land as she, Pa and Tom walk around talking about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Tom. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story "The Truest Pleasure"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)