|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Tom and Ginny do to work on repairing their marriage?
2. What is the name of the family which lives on the other side of the mountain?
3. What is Pa unable to produce that would help his case in court?
4. How many pages does the letter consist of?
5. What does Ginny insist on doing when Tom offers to get Florrie's help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tragedy occurs when Ginny attends her first revival in a long time?
2. To what does Ginny attribute the bright, white light when she is ill and having delusions?
3. What does Ginny realize about the land as she, Pa and Tom walk around talking about it?
4. What is the purpose of Chapter 10 regarding Ginny's feelings about Florrie?
5. Explain what Tom does when Ginny refuses to stay home from the revival and what his motivations might have been.
6. What is Tom's reaction when Ginny fires Florrie?
7. How is the blinding smoke a metaphor for Ginny and Tom's marriage?
8. What sore spot exists between Ginny and Florrie and what is Lily's role in Chapter 10?
9. Why are Tom's rants about taking care of people exposed to typhoid so ironic?
10. On what topic is Florrie especially annoyed with Lily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)