|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tom store his money?
2. Who is Ginny surprised to find in the bathroom with Tom as he is bathing?
3. What does Ginny hear after she reaches the revival site?
4. Lily tells a story about losing her ________________.
5. What does Ginny say is the bright light she sees when she is sick and delusional?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Tom does when Ginny refuses to stay home from the revival and what his motivations might have been.
2. How do Ginny and Tom experience a "baptism of fire" when their land catches on fire?
3. Why does Ginny feel as if she is fighting for her place in the family regarding Florrie's help?
4. Why are Tom's rants about taking care of people exposed to typhoid so ironic?
5. How does Ginny feels that she has shunned the way of the church by working with Tom
6. When does the demon spirit come to visit Ginny and what effect is it having on Tom now?
7. Why do Florrie and Lily go to Ginny's house to help, and what do the two sisters think of Lily?
8. What things are happening between Tom and Florrie that Ginny does not like?
9. What does Ginny reveal to Locke in the letter about their father and the hypocrisy in the family?
10. To what does Ginny attribute the bright, white light when she is ill and having delusions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the rural South in the early 20th century when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Tom. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
What is Ginny's truest pleasure as she notes it at the end of the book? Does the author surprise you with the answer? What else could be construed as a great pleasure for Ginny? Is she surprised herself when she learns what it is?
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)