|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Ginny write a letter in Chapter 15?
2. What does Ginny see Pa using to fight the fire?
3. What does Tom tell Ginny after he learns about the shooting at the revival?
4. What is the doctor's diagnosis of Tom's sickness?
5. Where does Tom go after the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ginny's view on the farm shift after spending time with Tom working in the fields?
2. What tragedy occurs when Ginny attends her first revival in a long time?
3. What is the purpose of Chapter 10 regarding Ginny's feelings about Florrie?
4. What things are happening between Tom and Florrie that Ginny does not like?
5. What is the purpose of Ginny's letter to Locke?
6. Explain what Tom does when Ginny refuses to stay home from the revival and what his motivations might have been.
7. How do Ginny and Tom experience a "baptism of fire" when their land catches on fire?
8. Soon after the birth of Ginny's son, Muir, why does Tom get so angry when she invites the midwife's children to stay for awhile?
9. How does Ginny feels that she has shunned the way of the church by working with Tom
10. Why are Tom's rants about taking care of people exposed to typhoid so ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Ginny and her family. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the use of fire in the lives of Ginny and Tom. What does fire typically signify in literature? What are its meanings in this book? What does the author intend to show by having their "baptism of fire" in the book?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)