|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the doctor's diagnosis of Tom's sickness?
2. How many pages does the letter consist of?
3. What is the name of Ginny's new baby girl in Chapter 17?
4. What does Lily wear to go to Ginny's house?
5. What is Pa unable to produce that would help his case in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ginny feel as if she is fighting for her place in the family regarding Florrie's help?
2. What is Tom's reaction when Ginny fires Florrie?
3. How does Ginny feels that she has shunned the way of the church by working with Tom
4. What is the purpose of Chapter 10 regarding Ginny's feelings about Florrie?
5. What is the nature of the dream that Ginny has regarding Thurman Johnson?
6. How does Ginny's view on the farm shift after spending time with Tom working in the fields?
7. How do Ginny and Tom experience a "baptism of fire" when their land catches on fire?
8. What things are happening between Tom and Florrie that Ginny does not like?
9. What is the content of the letter Locke has written to Ginny?
10. What does Ginny reveal to Locke in the letter about their father and the hypocrisy in the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the story. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Disappointment takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Tom. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)