|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ginny notice about Florrie's behavior with Tom?
2. What did Locke eat on the train journey when he ran out of money?
3. What season is it soon after Ginny and Tom's wedding?
4. How did Ginny feel about herself as she grew up?
5. The person in #69 heals and has scars only on his ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ginny behave after the revival?
2. What is a pound party and what is its purpose?
3. What could be a very important reason from his childhood that prevents Tom from giving more than Ginny thinks he should?
4. What does Tom accomplish on the farm, and why is Ginny fearful that Pa may resent his work?
5. How does Ginny describe herself?
6. Describe Tom's accident during molasses season.
7. How are Ginny's views of speaking in tongues in conflict with those of Locke's?
8. What does Ginny recall about meeting Tom Powell, the man she would one day marry?
9. Describe Ginny's experience when she begins to speak in tongues.
10. How do Ginny and Tom differ in their views of how to help the Bright family with money and pantry items?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Ginny. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)