|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightens Ginny as she and Tom are walking back to her house?
2. What effect does Jewel's screaming have on Ginny?
3. How much time passes before Ginny no longer feels filled with the spirit?
4. Who is Florrie's boyfriend?
5. What made Ginny think that the teacher may not be right for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Ginny and Tom get married and where do they plan to live?
2. Describe Ginny and Tom's wedding night and why Ginny was puzzled about his behavior.
3. Why does Pa want his children to experience a Pentecostal service, and what does the Baptist preacher say about people who attend these events?
4. What will fire come to symbolize in Ginny and Tom's relationship?
5. How are Ginny's views of speaking in tongues in conflict with those of Locke's?
6. How does Ginny describe herself?
7. How does Ginny behave after the revival?
8. What does Locke recall about a train trip from Washington to San Francisco?
9. What do Ginny and Tom hope to get out of their relationship?
10. How do Ginny and Tom differ in their views of how to help the Bright family with money and pantry items?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disappointment takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
"The Truest Pleasure" is a classic story of love. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the voices Ginny hears. When does she typically hear them? What is going on in Ginny's life when she hears the strange voices?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)