|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is something that Tom likes to do?
2. What did the Indian doctor swathe Ginny in during her visit?
3. On their wedding night, what does Tom do after taking off his dress clothes?
4. Locke says that he went to work on a ship filled with soldiers dying from yellow fever and ______________.
5. The person in #69 heals and has scars only on his ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ginny think should have been a red flag in potential problems for her and Tom?
2. Describe Ginny's experience when she begins to speak in tongues.
3. What does Ginny accuse Tom of after he hurts her and what will be their points of contention throughout the book?
4. What is a pound party and what is its purpose?
5. How does Ginny view her brother, Locke?
6. What happens at the revival where the perpetrators yell about "baptisms of fire"?
7. What do Ginny and Tom hope to get out of their relationship?
8. What does Ginny recall about meeting Tom Powell, the man she would one day marry?
9. Describe Ginny and Tom's wedding night and why Ginny was puzzled about his behavior.
10. Describe how the Peace family members react to the spirit at the revival.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the use of fire in the lives of Ginny and Tom. What does fire typically signify in literature? What are its meanings in this book? What does the author intend to show by having their "baptism of fire" in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Ginny shows signs of maturity as the story evolves. Cite at least three examples that show that Ginny is a mature young woman and note why you selected the examples.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)