|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom do that makes Ginny feel even worse about the state of their marriage?
(a) He talks about her in front of the children.
(b) He ignores her.
(c) He goes drinking every night.
(d) He talks to a lawyer about getting a divorce.
2. What does Tom do when Ginny leaves the house to attend a revival?
(a) He changes the locks on the doors.
(b) He ties her to the bed.
(c) He drives over to pick her up.
(d) He points a shotgun at her.
3. What does Ginny still see as a mission in her marriage?
(a) Convert Tom to the Pentecostal religion.
(b) To have Tom become more demonstrative.
(c) To establish college funds for the children.
(d) Have three girls and three boys.
4. Where does Tom go after the fire?
(a) The bedroom.
(b) A bar in town.
(c) Florrie's house.
(d) The outhouse.
5. What is ironic about Tom's protests about taking care of people who have typhoid?
(a) He will die from typhoid.
(b) His father died from typhoid.
(c) Ginny will die from typhoid.
(d) His own child will die from typhoid.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages does the letter consist of?
2. Why is Ginny no longer interested in reconciling with Tom?
3. As Ginny works in the fields with Tom, she begins to understand __________________.
4. To whom does Ginny write a letter in Chapter 15?
5. Who is Ginny surprised to find in the bathroom with Tom as he is bathing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sore spot exists between Ginny and Florrie and what is Lily's role in Chapter 10?
2. How does Ginny feels that she has shunned the way of the church by working with Tom
3. Explain what Tom does when Ginny refuses to stay home from the revival and what his motivations might have been.
4. On what topic is Florrie especially annoyed with Lily?
5. What is the purpose of Ginny's letter to Locke?
6. How does Ginny's view on the farm shift after spending time with Tom working in the fields?
7. When does the demon spirit come to visit Ginny and what effect is it having on Tom now?
8. How do Ginny and Tom experience a "baptism of fire" when their land catches on fire?
9. How is the blinding smoke a metaphor for Ginny and Tom's marriage?
10. What is the nature of the dream that Ginny has regarding Thurman Johnson?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)