|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tom angry when he comes home from the fields one day?
(a) Florrie was spreading rumors about her affair with Tom.
(b) Someone has been cutting timber on the outskirts of their land.
(c) The tractor broke down again.
(d) Someone in town was talking about Ginny.
2. Why is Tom's reaction when Ginny invites the midwife's children to stay at the house?
(a) He doesn't care one way or the other.
(b) He is very happy.
(c) He is pleased.
(d) He is livid.
3. What does Ginny accuse Florrie of doing?
(a) Talking about her behind her back.
(b) Trying to steal her husband.
(c) Putting too much bleach in the laundry.
(d) Taking money from the house.
4. What does Ginny remember about her mother?
(a) She baked wonderful pies.
(b) She did not like the Pentecostal church.
(c) She was a midwife.
(d) She had a beautiful singing voice.
5. What disturbing item does Ginny recall seeing in the woods?
(a) A bloody bandana.
(b) A shredded dress.
(c) A decomposing body.
(d) A child's bloody shoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Florrie react when Ginny confronts her about her relationship with Tom?
2. What is the doctor's diagnosis of Tom's sickness?
3. What do Tom and Ginny do to work on repairing their marriage?
4. What does Ginny say is the bright light she sees when she is sick and delusional?
5. What is Pa unable to produce that would help his case in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Florrie and Lily go to Ginny's house to help, and what do the two sisters think of Lily?
2. Why are Tom's rants about taking care of people exposed to typhoid so ironic?
3. What is the purpose of Ginny's letter to Locke?
4. How do Ginny and Tom experience a "baptism of fire" when their land catches on fire?
5. What sore spot exists between Ginny and Florrie and what is Lily's role in Chapter 10?
6. What is the nature of the dream that Ginny has regarding Thurman Johnson?
7. What is the content of the letter Locke has written to Ginny?
8. Soon after the birth of Ginny's son, Muir, why does Tom get so angry when she invites the midwife's children to stay for awhile?
9. What tragedy occurs when Ginny attends her first revival in a long time?
10. How does Ginny feels that she has shunned the way of the church by working with Tom
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)