|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Florrie react when Ginny confronts her about her relationship with Tom?
(a) She says Ginny is still delusional.
(b) She says she merely endures Tom.
(c) She says Tom loves Florrie more.
(d) She says she is not interested in Tom.
2. What does Ginny hear one night as she and Tom make love?
(a) A fire engine siren.
(b) The baby crying.
(d) Her own voice speaking in tongues.
3. Why does Tom plant surplus vegetables in the garden?
(a) To sell them.
(b) To give them to the preacher.
(c) To take to the soup kitchen.
(d) To can them.
4. What does Ginny accuse Florrie of doing?
(a) Trying to steal her husband.
(b) Putting too much bleach in the laundry.
(c) Talking about her behind her back.
(d) Taking money from the house.
5. Why is Tom angry when he comes home from the fields one day?
(a) Someone has been cutting timber on the outskirts of their land.
(b) Someone in town was talking about Ginny.
(c) The tractor broke down again.
(d) Florrie was spreading rumors about her affair with Tom.
6. Why is Tom's reaction when Ginny invites the midwife's children to stay at the house?
(a) He is very happy.
(b) He doesn't care one way or the other.
(c) He is livid.
(d) He is pleased.
7. What does Tom do when Ginny leaves the house to attend a revival?
(a) He changes the locks on the doors.
(b) He ties her to the bed.
(c) He drives over to pick her up.
(d) He points a shotgun at her.
8. What is Pa unable to produce that would help his case in court?
(a) A blueprint of the property.
(b) A bill of sale.
(c) The lawyer's retainer fee.
(d) A deed to the property.
9. What does Tom do every night?
(a) Reads to the children.
(b) Feeds the pigs.
(c) Counts his money.
(d) Milks the cows.
10. Which of the following do the women NOT argue about?
(b) Their role as women.
11. Which of the following is NOT something Ginny envies about Florrie?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her ability to work and drink like a man.
(c) Her curly hair.
(d) Her flirtatious nature.
12. What disturbing item does Ginny recall seeing in the woods?
(a) A bloody bandana.
(b) A shredded dress.
(c) A decomposing body.
(d) A child's bloody shoe.
13. Florrie does not believe in ___________________.
(a) the Pentecostal Church.
(c) having many children.
14. What does Ginny insist on doing when Tom offers to get Florrie's help?
(a) The laundry.
(b) Cooking meals.
(c) Canning fruit.
(d) Making baby clothes.
15. From what disease has Ginny recently recovered?
(c) Scarlet Fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Ginny works in the fields with Tom, she begins to understand __________________.
2. How long has it been since Ginny attended a revival?
3. Who accompanies Florrie to Ginny's house in Chapter 10?
4. What does Ginny ask of the person to whom she writes the letter?
5. What does Ginny see Pa using to fight the fire?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)