|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ginny feel about her behavior at the church service?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is embarrassed.
(c) She is elated.
(d) She is neutral.
2. On their wedding night, what does Tom do after taking off his dress clothes?
(a) Milks the cows and builds a fire.
(b) Builds a fire and lights candles.
(c) Feeds the chickens and milks the cows.
(d) Pours some wine and lights a fire.
3. What frightens Ginny as she and Tom are walking back to her house?
(d) A gang of thugs.
4. What happened when the teacher tried to kiss Ginny one night?
(a) He fell off his chair.
(b) He stepped on her foot.
(c) He knocked over the churn.
(d) He stuck his elbow in the candle flame.
5. The Indian doctor suggested that Ginny imagine herself to be a/an _______________ flying above the Earth.
6. What does Ginny refuse to do after the death of her baby?
(a) Hug her other children.
(b) Pack up the baby clothes.
(c) Eat anything to regain her strength.
(d) Go to the baby's funeral.
7. Where does Tom go when he moves out of the bedroom he had shared with Ginny?
(a) The attic.
(b) The barn.
(c) His parents' house.
(d) A friend's house.
8. Who is Joe's girlfriend?
9. What did other people tell Ginny when she was fifteen?
(a) She would grow up to be a beautiful woman.
(b) She would get married and have six children.
(c) She was a scholar and good looks didn't matter.
(d) She would be an old maid all her life.
10. Why did the doctors think the man was possessed by demons?
(a) His hands and feet grew large and gnarly.
(b) His teeth grew out over his lip like fangs.
(c) His eyes turned red.
(d) He could not speak English but he cursed the doctors in the language.
11. What made Ginny think that the teacher may not be right for her?
(a) He was too serious.
(b) He did not make much money.
(c) He wanted to move far away.
(d) He did not want to have children.
12. What does Ginny describe herself as?
13. What effect does Jewel's screaming have on Ginny?
(a) She tries to comfort her.
(b) She gets a migraine.
(c) She leaks breast milk.
(d) She screams.
14. Who is Locke?
(a) Ginny's fiance.
(b) A farrier.
(c) The butcher.
(d) Ginny's brother.
15. Who is Tom Powell?
(a) Pa's business partner.
(b) The butcher in the village.
(c) The man Ginny would marry.
(d) The mailman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom could be characterized as ___________________.
2. Who was the traveling teacher with whom Ginny had a small romance?
3. What did the Indian doctor whisper to Ginny during her visit?
4. Why does Ginny start to scream when she sees what is in #43?
5. What did Tom see a woman do at a Happyland Colony revival when he was a boy?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)