|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aubrey realize?
(a) That the ship must not have been thoroughly checked for rats at the last port.
(b) That the contraband whiskey must have come aboard at the last port call.
(c) The dead crew member just signed on at the last port.
(d) That he has found the source of the crew's apparent high morale.
2. How does Aubrey occupy his time when not commanding the ship?
(a) Writing his wife long letters.
(b) Sorting through his estate papers.
(c) Playing bridge with Maturin.
(d) Teaching some of the junior officers.
3. What does Aubrey encounter in their first port of call?
(a) Political difficulties.
(b) A gun runner's ring.
(c) A rum runner's ring.
(d) A revolt by a penal colony.
4. What does Aubrey note among the crew?
(c) Much merriment and amusement.
5. Where is Clarissa Oakes?
(a) In Java.
(b) In Port Jackson.
(c) On board Aubrey's vessel.
(d) In Port-au-Prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Surprise ordered?
2. What does Aubrey do before breakfast?
3. Who is Tom Pullings?
4. In what country does Port Jackson lie?
5. To whom does Aubrey give his word that there are no stowaways on board?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aubrey discover when he and Pullings are below and what is Aubrey's response?
2. What and how does Aubrey learn about Moahu?
3. What has Aubrey unwittingly violated by having Padeen Coleman aboard and why is that a serious thing to Aubrey?
4. How does Aubrey treat the crew during the voyage to Moahu?
5. Who are the rowers of the Trulove boat that is sent over to Surprise and what does Aubrey learn from them?
6. How is Clarissa dressed for the ceremony and who performs the ceremony to marry Oakes and Clarissa?
7. How does Aubrey ready his crew for battle and what is Clarissa's reaction to this?
8. Describe Stephan Maturin.
9. Where do Surprise and Trulove sail and what passes between Maturin and Clarissa as they are sailing?
10. What would the officers normally do to celebrate a wedding and how do they finally manage to do so?
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)