|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the approximate date at the opening of the novel?
2. Who starts visiting Maturin?
3. What positions do Davidge and West hold on the Surprise?
(a) 3rd mate and steward.
(b) 2nd mate and steward.
(c) 2nd and 3rd mates.
(d) 1st and 3rd mates.
4. Where has the other patient which Maturin is examining been?
(a) Easter Island.
(b) Machu Pichu.
(c) San Francisco.
5. What British interests or laws are being threatened?
(a) The slave trade act of 1807.
(b) The monopoly on coffee.
(d) The rum import tariff.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who insults Maturin one evening?
2. What is Aubrey intending to do?
3. What do Aubrey and the scout seem to have?
4. What is closed?
5. What is Aubrey doing as he is standing on the quarterdeck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aubrey offer Martin and what is his response?
2. What does Bonden report and what is Aubrey's decision?
3. With whom does Aubrey confer on the island and what is the outcome?
4. Describe the situation with Midshipman Reade.
5. What angers Aubrey about Padeen Coleman?
6. How do Clarissa's activities slide into prostitution?
7. What does Aubrey hope for on his return to England?
8. What seems to be some of the officers' responses to Clarissa?
9. Why does Aubrey push the crew mercilessly?
10. How does Edward treat Clarissa as she gets older?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)