|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does narration characterize their mission?
(a) An abject failure.
(c) It has not yet been completed.
(d) Partly successful, but they fail to fulfill one aspect of the mission.
2. What is Aubrey doing as he is standing on the quarterdeck?
(a) Contemplating the previous weeks' events.
(b) Talking to Maturin about what they will do when they reach the West Indies.
(c) Talking to the officer accused of cheating.
(d) Watching a punishment of 20 lashes being carried out.
3. What helps Aubrey get a good night's sleep?
(a) The brisk salt air.
(b) Re-reading a letter from his wife.
(d) A couple shots of the contraband whiskey.
4. What do Aubrey and the scout seem to have?
(a) A good friendship.
(b) A private understanding.
(c) A barely-concealed animosity.
(d) Similar ways of doing things.
5. What is Aubrey intending to do?
(a) Marooning Oakes and Clarissa on Norfolk Island.
(b) Marooning Oakes and Clarissa on Tahiti.
(c) Marooning Oakes and Clarissa on the Eastern coast of Africa.
(d) Marooning Oakes and Clarissa on Easter Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin hope to do some day?
2. Who performs the marriage ceremony between Oakes and Clarissa?
3. Why can they not visit the island that Maturin had hoped to see?
4. In what does Maturin become involved?
5. What does Aubrey do before breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aubrey ready his crew for battle and what is Clarissa's reaction to this?
2. Why does Aubrey send Bonden to scout the shore of Norfolk Island?
3. What does Oakes tell Aubrey and what is Clarissa's response?
4. Who does Aubrey confer with in his cabin and what is the topic of their discussion?
5. What is the story behind Aubrey captaining the Surprise?
6. What seems to be some of the officers' responses to Clarissa?
7. Why do Sarah and Emily become upset and how is the problem solved?
8. What has Aubrey unwittingly violated by having Padeen Coleman aboard and why is that a serious thing to Aubrey?
9. What does Aubrey hope for on his return to England?
10. How does Aubrey finally figure out what is wrong with some of his officers and crew and what does he do to handle the situation?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)