|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What port do they depart at the opening of the story?
(b) Port Jackson.
(d) Port au Prince.
2. With whom does Aubrey confer in Aubrey's cabin?
3. What does Aubrey encounter in their first port of call?
(a) A rum runner's ring.
(b) A gun runner's ring.
(c) Political difficulties.
(d) A revolt by a penal colony.
4. Why can they not visit the island that Maturin had hoped to see?
(a) The natives do not allow it.
(b) The wind is not good.
(c) There is a hostile takeover by the French there.
(d) Narration does not say why.
5. For what does the Surprise ready?
(a) An encounter with a hurricane.
(b) An encounter with a French war brig.
(c) Its first at-sea inspection by the captain.
(d) An encounter with the 2nd Naval Fleet under Admiral Leighton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey find below decks?
2. What is closed?
3. What does the scout report?
4. What angers Aubrey about Padeen Coleman?
5. What are Aubrey and Maturin doing as they sail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the young Clarissa come to live with a distant relative who assumed guardianship of her?
2. About what does Maturin talk to two of his patients in sick bay and what is his response to the conversations?
3. How is Clarissa dressed for the ceremony and who performs the ceremony to marry Oakes and Clarissa?
4. What are Surprises orders?
5. Describe the conversation during the wedding dinner.
6. Why do Sarah and Emily become upset and how is the problem solved?
7. Upon what mission does Aubrey send Davidge and some other crew and how does Davidge perform?
8. How does the enlisted crew celebrate Oakes' wedding?
9. Who does Aubrey confer with in his cabin and what is the topic of their discussion?
10. Describe Emily and Sarah Sweeting.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)