|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What positions do Davidge and West hold on the Surprise?
(a) 1st and 3rd mates.
(b) 2nd and 3rd mates.
(c) 2nd mate and steward.
(d) 3rd mate and steward.
2. What is the approximate date at the opening of the novel?
3. For what does the Surprise ready?
(a) An encounter with a hurricane.
(b) An encounter with a French war brig.
(c) An encounter with the 2nd Naval Fleet under Admiral Leighton.
(d) Its first at-sea inspection by the captain.
4. Where is Aubrey's vessel headed now?
(a) The coast of France.
(d) The West Indies.
5. What are Aubrey and Maturin doing as they sail?
(a) Discussing the war.
(b) Reading their letters from home.
(c) Playing whist.
(d) Playing chess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is threatening British interests in the area where they are headed?
2. To whom does Aubrey give his word that there are no stowaways on board?
3. In what country does Port Jackson lie?
4. What is Maturin's position on board?
5. What island does Maturin hope to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aubrey finally figure out what is wrong with some of his officers and crew and what does he do to handle the situation?
2. Describe Stephan Maturin.
3. What is the story behind Aubrey captaining the Surprise?
4. What is a bit strange about Surprise's first at-sea inspection?
5. Upon what mission does Aubrey send Davidge and some other crew and how does Davidge perform?
6. How does Aubrey get into Pabay harbor and what does Trulove do?
7. Why do Sarah and Emily become upset and how is the problem solved?
8. What does Oakes tell Aubrey and what is Clarissa's response?
9. What angers Aubrey about Padeen Coleman?
10. What does Aubrey say about the dinner later that night to Maturin?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)