|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Aubrey fume?
(a) That the French have been patrolling heavily on their route.
(b) That Clarissa seems to be intent on seducing Aubrey.
(c) The time it's taking to get to their next assignment.
(d) The poor showing of his officers.
2. What do the officers hold for Oakes and Clarissa?
(a) Nothing; there is too much jealousy.
(b) A wedding present of cash.
(c) A wedding feast.
(d) An honor walk under crossed swords.
3. What is the name of the good harbor on Moahu?
4. What is the status of the Trulove?
(a) It is running a blockade at Pabay.
(b) It has headed for England.
(c) It has sunk.
(d) It is docked as a prize at Pabay.
5. What is Clarissa's position when she first begins working?
6. How does Aubrey try to solve the problem some of the officers are having?
(a) A reprimand.
(b) Working them to exhaustion.
(c) A tongue lashing.
(d) 10 lashes.
7. How is Moahu shaped?
(a) Like an hourglass.
(d) Like a perfect circle.
8. What infuriates Aubrey about the problems Davidge and West have?
(a) That the two men let them personal lives interfere with their professional lives.
(b) That they should not have tried to repair the main mast with no experience at such things.
(c) That they both are late getting back to the Surprise.
(d) That they both ignore instructions.
9. Why is Surprise put into tip-top shape?
(a) For a celebration.
(b) For an inspection by the admiral of the 3rd fleet.
(c) For arrival at their next port.
(d) For hosting a conference of several British ship commanders.
10. Who rules the South end of Moahu?
(a) The French.
(b) The Dutch.
11. What does Reade speak about as he is losing consciousness?
(a) His child who died.
(b) Wanting the last rites.
(c) The crew going in and out of Clarissa's room.
(d) Writing his wife.
12. From what does Edward eventually suffer?
(b) Bouts of violence.
(d) Financial reverses.
13. What do Oakes, West and Davidge demonstrate?
(a) That they are happy.
(b) That they wish to not be there.
(c) That they are upset.
(d) That they are confused.
14. How is Dutourd characterized?
(a) As a religious fanatic.
(b) As a sadistical disciplinarian.
(c) As a Utopian idealist.
(d) As a martinet.
15. What sort of reception does the Surprise receive?
(b) Wildly enthusiastic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Martin avoided Clarissa?
2. What does Clarissa think of Annamooka?
3. To whom does Maturin write a coded letter?
4. What divides the north from the south of the island?
5. What is taking up Aubrey's time in Annamooka?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)