• Surprise sails from Port Jackson, Australia, and makes course for England.
• Maturin causes political difficulties from a dispute of honor.
• Maturin's assistant, Padeen Coleman, is aboard the ship. He was a prisoner at a penal colony for serious crimes.
• Maturin smuggles him aboard Surprise, which angers Aubrey who gave his word there were no stowaways on Surprise.
• Surprise belongs to Aubrey, who is captaining it as a private man-of-war.
• Maturin treats two ill patients in sickbay, both of whom have been somewhere that Maturin would like to visit.
• Surprise has her first at-sea inspection by the captain, who notes much merriment and amusement among the crew.
• Tthe inspection proceeds well and Aubrey finds the ship in excellent order.
• Belowdecks, Aubrey discovers a woman stowaway, Clarissa Harvill.
• Aubrey now realizes about what the merriment and amusement had been.
• Pullings admits to having unofficially known that a woman was...
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)