The Witch - The Village Piaski (pp.1-65)
- The following version of this book was used to create this Study Guide: Murphy, Louise. The True Story of Hansel and Gretel. Penguin Books, 2003.
- The opening of the novel begins with the narrator asks the reader to follow along with the true story about to be told.
- In "Once Upon a Time" we meet a man, a woman and two children who are fleeing the Nazi Germans on a motorbike; but to ensure they all escape the two children are left to hide in the woods. Their names will be Hansel and Gretel.
- Hansel and Gretel soon meet Magda, the witch, who saves Hansel's luck.
- In "The Forest," the stepmother and father escape the Germans and run into a band of Russian partisans.
- Magda discourages the children from getting comfortable in her cabin while...
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)