|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the minimum sentence length Hugob advises having in a poem?
2. Which profession does Hugo believe should be able to retire in twenty years with a full pension like policemen, firemen, and service personnel?
3. Who tells Hugo that the imagination has an impulse to create unknowns out of knowns?
4. After Hugo reclaims his past in the war, he and his wife become tourists and visit _____ in Lecce.
5. What contest do the former students of Hugo, Mike Ryan and Maura Stanton, win?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hugo's definition of conservatism and how does it affect a poet's writing?
2. What does Hugo see as the inherent flaw in the hiring of some writing teachers?
3. What is the conclusion Hugo makes regarding the Ph.D. system in literature?
4. Why does Hugo say that Cerignola has a bad reputation in Italy?
5. Why does Hugo say not to write with a pen?
6. Why does Hugo recommend that the poet carry with him at all times and why?
7. How is it that Hugo and his wife are able to go to Italy?
8. How is "grammarphobia" a problem in writing, according to the author?
9. How does Hugo feel about the British colonel and why?
10. According to Hugo, why are the poet's feelings about himself influential to his writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe "The Pumphouse Trio". How are they found? What do they look like? Why are they significant to Hugo?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hugo describe the difference between working at a regular job in "the real world" versus teaching at a university? What is the only initiating subject he ever wrote a poem about where he worked?
Essay Topic 3
According to Hugo, what is the relationship between a public poet and his tendency towards didacticism? Use Auden as an example.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)