|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hugo has heard academics refer to popular teachers as _____.
2. What is the minimum sentence length Hugob advises having in a poem?
3. Hugo says that creative writers are privileged because they can write _____.
4. What is the name of the bush that grows wild in the Pacific Northwest that Hugo uses as a local noun?
5. What emotion does Hugo say is impossible for the poet because he has written every poem he loves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hugo see as the inherent flaw in the hiring of some writing teachers?
2. Why does Hugo believe that Roethke seeks out wealthy companionship during his last years?
3. Why is acclaim considered by Hugo to be dangerous to the poet?
4. What is the curse of creative writing courses as seen by Hugo at universities?
5. What does Hugo say a poet should do when a poem is finished?
6. How does Hugo describe teaching the student in a class who is not necessarily good at writing?
7. How do the children in Barletta react to Hugo and Mills?
8. How is "grammarphobia" a problem in writing, according to the author?
9. According to Hugo, why are the poet's feelings about himself influential to his writing?
10. Describe Pound's relationship to Yeats.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe "The Pumphouse Trio". How are they found? What do they look like? Why are they significant to Hugo?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the difference between Hugo's assessment of what he calls Krebs and Snopes poets. Where do these two references come from? Why does Hugo say that they relevant to poetry writing?
Essay Topic 3
When Hugo meets a woman who asks for cigarettes in the field outside Canosa, how does he treat her? Why dose he treat her that way? How does he feel about the way he treats her?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)