|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous poet does Hugo say informs and fills another body during the writing of a poem?
2. Who tells Hugo that the imagination has an impulse to create unknowns out of knowns?
3. Hugo believes that any _____, no matter how melodramatic, is preferable to none.
4. Who does the British colonel remind Hugo of?
5. Hugo guesses that ____ of his ex-students are now publishing.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bob Mills and what task is he assigned to perform?
2. How is "grammarphobia" a problem in writing, according to the author?
3. Why is blank white paper not recommended for writing poetry by Hugo?
4. Describe Hugo's analogy of the mask and how it changes as the poet progresses.
5. What is Hugo's definition of conservatism and how does it affect a poet's writing?
6. What is the atmosphere between the literature and creative writing departments at Montana as described by Hugo?
7. Why does Hugo say to take emotional possession of a few words?
8. What does Hugo see as the inherent flaw in the hiring of some writing teachers?
9. Describe Pound's relationship to Yeats.
10. Why does Hugo say that Cerignola has a bad reputation in Italy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Hugo, what is the relationship between a public poet and his tendency towards didacticism? Use Auden as an example.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Hugo say that Roethke is a dangerous teacher? How has his teaching influenced the author? How has his teaching influenced David Wagoner?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of forms in poetry. How does Hugo feel about forms? How do the "traditionalists" feel about them?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)