|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hugo's fear when he is bombing makes it hard concentration difficult and he didn't trust _____.
2. Hugo prefers the _____ tone he employs to a lot of qualifiers when giving poets rules to write by.
3. In which town does Hugo experience what his psychoanalyst calls a moment of surrender?
4. Hugo suggests that with the accumulated losses of knowns, the imagination is faced with the problem of preserving the world through _____.
5. What is the name of the supply officer that doesn't supply Hugo's squadron with enough blankets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hugo sometimes feel that he is perverse?
2. What is the conclusion Hugo makes regarding the Ph.D. system in literature?
3. What does Hugo say a poet should do when a poem is finished?
4. What is the atmosphere between the literature and creative writing departments at Montana as described by Hugo?
5. Why is blank white paper not recommended for writing poetry by Hugo?
6. What is Hugo's definition of conservatism and how does it affect a poet's writing?
7. What is the curse of creative writing courses as seen by Hugo at universities?
8. What does Hugo see as the inherent flaw in the hiring of some writing teachers?
9. How does Auden express his disdain for competitiveness among writers?
10. Why does Hugo believe that Roethke seeks out wealthy companionship during his last years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Hugo meets a woman who asks for cigarettes in the field outside Canosa, how does he treat her? Why dose he treat her that way? How does he feel about the way he treats her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe "The Pumphouse Trio". How are they found? What do they look like? Why are they significant to Hugo?
Essay Topic 3
According to Hugo, what is the relationship between a public poet and his tendency towards didacticism? Use Auden as an example.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)