|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hugo states that when he was in graduate school, a published scholar who wrote clearly was referred to as a _____.
2. Hugo states that formal verse can help a young poet locate things to say, and can also _____ him to say things he wouldn't say.
3. Hugo says that creative writers are privileged because they can write _____.
(a) Standing on their heads.
(b) Imperative sentenes.
(c) Declarative sentences.
4. Hugo observes that the three prostitutes look so scroungy that one might contract VD just ____.
(a) Touching their doorknob.
(b) Saying hello.
(c) Looking at their photo.
(d) Walking past them.
5. If creative writing teachers are doing their jobs, Hugo says they are learning from their_____.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hugo believes that any _____, no matter how melodramatic, is preferable to none.
2. Hugo's fear when he is bombing makes it hard concentration difficult and he didn't trust _____.
3. Which punctuation mark is strictly banned by Hugo?
4. After Hugo reclaims his past in the war, he and his wife become tourists and visit _____ in Lecce.
5. Which famous poet does Hugo say escapes from personality during the writing of a poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bob Mills and what task is he assigned to perform?
2. How does Hugo feel about the British colonel and why?
3. How do the children in Barletta react to Hugo and Mills?
4. Why does Hugo believe that Roethke seeks out wealthy companionship during his last years?
5. What is Hugo's definition of conservatism and how does it affect a poet's writing?
6. Why does Hugo sometimes feel that he is perverse?
7. What is the atmosphere between the literature and creative writing departments at Montana as described by Hugo?
8. Describe Hugo's analogy of the mask and how it changes as the poet progresses.
9. What is the curse of creative writing courses as seen by Hugo at universities?
10. What does Hugo see as the inherent flaw in the hiring of some writing teachers?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)