|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What contest do the former students of Hugo, Mike Ryan and Maura Stanton, win?
(a) Yale Series of Young Poets.
(b) Harvard Young Poets' Society.
(c) Brick & Mortar Review.
(d) Boston Review.
2. To what do academic professors attribute the sudden popularity of creative writing classes, according to Hugo?
(b) Change in dietary habits.
3. Where have three prostitutes set up shop a quarter of a mile from Hugo's squadron?
(a) An abandoned rail car.
(b) An ammunition shed.
(c) A hangar.
(d) A pumphouse.
4. Which famous poet does Hugo say escapes from personality during the writing of a poem?
5. Hugo states that when he was in graduate school, a published scholar who wrote clearly was referred to as a _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hugo say that Auden believes is the nemesis of American writers?
2. Who tells Hugo that the imagination has an impulse to create unknowns out of knowns?
3. What large target does Hugo miss bombing?
4. Hugo is distrustful of Eliot and Roethke because late in their careers the announced that they were _____.
5. Who does the British colonel remind Hugo of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the atmosphere between the literature and creative writing departments at Montana as described by Hugo?
2. Why does Hugo sometimes feel that he is perverse?
3. What does Hugo say a poet should do when a poem is finished?
4. Why is acclaim considered by Hugo to be dangerous to the poet?
5. According to Hugo, why are the poet's feelings about himself influential to his writing?
6. What does Hugo see as the inherent flaw in the hiring of some writing teachers?
7. Describe Pound's relationship to Yeats.
8. Describe Hugo's analogy of the mask and how it changes as the poet progresses.
9. Why does Hugo recommend that the poet carry with him at all times and why?
10. Why is blank white paper not recommended for writing poetry by Hugo?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)