|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hugo's squadron is assigned to fly gasoline to a British Spitfire base in _____.
2. Where is Captain Joel O. Moe from?
(a) North Carolina.
(c) North Dakota.
(d) West Virginia.
3. In which town does Hugo experience what his psychoanalyst calls a moment of surrender?
4. A suggestion Hugo makes is to end more than half the lines and more than two-thirds of the sentences on _____.
(a) A dangling participle.
(b) An exclamation.
(c) A multisyllabic word.
(d) Words of one syllable.
5. Hugo observes that the three prostitutes look so scroungy that one might contract VD just ____.
(a) Walking past them.
(b) Saying hello.
(c) Looking at their photo.
(d) Touching their doorknob.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which famous poet does Hugo name as having the notion of the mask during the writing of a poem?
2. Hugo believes that any _____, no matter how melodramatic, is preferable to none.
3. What word does Hugo say should only be used as a transitive verb for at least fifteen years?
4. Hugo states that formal verse can help a young poet locate things to say, and can also _____ him to say things he wouldn't say.
5. Which short story of Hemingway's has the protagonist, Krebs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hugo's definition of conservatism and how does it affect a poet's writing?
2. How does Hugo feel about the British colonel and why?
3. How is "grammarphobia" a problem in writing, according to the author?
4. Why does Hugo believe that Roethke seeks out wealthy companionship during his last years?
5. How does Hugo describe teaching the student in a class who is not necessarily good at writing?
6. What is the curse of creative writing courses as seen by Hugo at universities?
7. What does Hugo see as the inherent flaw in the hiring of some writing teachers?
8. Why does Hugo say that Cerignola has a bad reputation in Italy?
9. What is the atmosphere between the literature and creative writing departments at Montana as described by Hugo?
10. Why does Hugo say not to write with a pen?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)