|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What large target does Hugo miss bombing?
(c) Brenner Pass.
(d) Hitler's country estate.
2. Hugo says to hope hard to always fall short of _____.
3. What word does Hugo say should only be used as a transitive verb for at least fifteen years?
4. Hugo guesses that ____ of his ex-students are now publishing.
(d) Over a hundred.
5. Who does the British colonel remind Hugo of?
(a) Humphrey Bogart.
(b) Herbert Marshall.
(c) John Wayne.
(d) W.C. Fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. In World War II, Hugo is a bombardier based in _____.
2. Which short story of Faulkner's has the protagonist, Snopes?
3. In what year does Hugo go back to visit his World War II stomping grounds in Europe?
4. Who is Hugo's creative writing teacher at West Seattle High School?
5. What is the minimum sentence length Hugob advises having in a poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the children in Barletta react to Hugo and Mills?
2. Why does Hugo say to take emotional possession of a few words?
3. Why does Hugo believe that Roethke seeks out wealthy companionship during his last years?
4. Why does Hugo say not to write with a pen?
5. What is Hugo's definition of conservatism and how does it affect a poet's writing?
6. Why is blank white paper not recommended for writing poetry by Hugo?
7. Describe Hugo's analogy of the mask and how it changes as the poet progresses.
8. How does Hugo feel about the British colonel and why?
9. What does Hugo say a poet should do when a poem is finished?
10. What is the atmosphere between the literature and creative writing departments at Montana as described by Hugo?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)