|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hugo work with Buzz Green?
(a) Lockheed Martin.
(b) The postal service.
(c) The Boeing Company.
(d) State Farm.
2. Specifically, Hugo asks students never to worry about _____.
(a) Critical acclaim.
(b) The reader.
(c) Their grades.
3. Hugo believes that a poet must take _____of a triggering town.
(b) Emotional possession.
(c) Total control.
4. Who says "...the more I practice, the luckier I get."?
(a) Lou McGarrity.
(b) Jack Nicklaus.
(c) Johnny Carson.
(d) Salvador Dali.
5. How much snow hits the town every year in one assumption?
(a) Twenty feet.
(b) Seventy-seven inches.
(c) Four inches.
Short Answer Questions
1. The town druggist on an assumption is _____.
2. Hugo believes that a public poet must be more intelligent than the reader so his _____ doesn't get in the way.
3. Yeats is noted by Hugo as saying that, "as a writer, your most important arguments are with _____".
4. Hugo says that Roethke only wanted _____ in his class because you can teach them.
5. Hugo thinks that Roethke is too _____ for his own good.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the initiating subject?
2. What are the reasons Hugo gives when he agrees with Auden's view that poets don't take things as seriously as other people do?
3. According to Hugo, what can happen to facts when writing a poem?
4. What is Hugo's impression of Roethke's demeanor?
5. What are some of the ways Hugo suggests moving away from the initiating subject?
6. Why does Hugo suggest that the triggering town be unfamiliar?
7. What is Buzz Green's description of Lou Garrity's trombone playing and how does it relate to Hugo's idea of writing poetry?
8. Why does Hugo say that Roethke thinks that young chicks are the best students?
9. How does Hugo think Roethke's teaching would affect modern students (at the time the book was written)?
10. What happens to Hugo when he lives in New York in one assumption?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)