|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says "...the more I practice, the luckier I get."?
(a) Jack Nicklaus.
(b) Johnny Carson.
(c) Salvador Dali.
(d) Lou McGarrity.
2. Yeats is noted by Hugo as saying that, "as a writer, your most important arguments are with _____".
(a) Your teachers.
(d) Your loved ones.
3. According to Hugo, poets can go into the world of the imagination, and not feel so threatened that they _____.
(a) Use profanity.
(b) Burn their rough drafts.
(c) Become impotent.
(d) Become arrogant.
4. The town druggist on an assumption is _____.
(a) A womanizer.
(b) An alcoholic.
(c) An ex-football player.
(d) A drug dealer on the side.
5. According to Hugo, Valery says that when words are used to convey information, they _____.
(a) Become true.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the divorce rate in the town in one assumption?
2. The grain elevator in one assumption is _____.
3. Which poet does Hugo believes appears to be usual when he is, in fact, a near-perfect example of the unusual in that he is one of the best poets out there?
4. One assumption has the _____ being run by a kind man who lets kids in for free when nobody is looking.
5. Who says that poets don't take things as seriously as other people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the initiating subject?
2. How does Hugo describe the role of the imagination in poetry?
3. What happens to Hugo when he lives in New York in one assumption?
4. Why are people suspicious of Hugo in the assumption about couples?
5. Why does Hugo say that Roethke thinks that young chicks are the best students?
6. Describe Hugo's advice on hard work when writing poetry.
7. How does Hugo think Roethke's teaching would affect modern students (at the time the book was written)?
8. What happens in the assumption where the outcast returns?
9. How does Roethke read a poem, and what does Hugo say is the effect it has on students?
10. In Hugo's opinion, why do most students respect Roethke as a teacher?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)