|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the British colonel remind Hugo of?
(a) John Wayne.
(b) Humphrey Bogart.
(c) W.C. Fields.
(d) Herbert Marshall.
2. Who does Hugo say proposes that all literary teachers take creative writing?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) W.B. Yeats.
(c) John Ericksson.
(d) George Garrett.
3. What word does Hugo say should only be used as a transitive verb for at least fifteen years?
4. Which famous poet does Hugo say informs and fills another body during the writing of a poem?
5. What is the term Hugo uses for an imperfect or partial rhyme?
(a) Half rhyme.
(b) Oblique rhyme.
(c) Slant rhyme.
(d) Off rhyme.
6. What is the name of the supply officer that doesn't supply Hugo's squadron with enough blankets?
(a) Captain Simmons.
(b) Captain Sommers.
(c) Captain Shanks.
(d) Captain Garrity.
7. What other types of writing does Hugo say are already in English departments, making them the logical place to teach creative writing?
(a) Comedic and journalistic.
(b) Conceptual and fictional.
(c) Technical and dramatic.
(d) Critical and expository.
8. Hugo feels that true integrity is often willfully equated with _____.
9. A suggestion Hugo makes is to end more than half the lines and more than two-thirds of the sentences on _____.
(a) A multisyllabic word.
(b) Words of one syllable.
(c) An exclamation.
(d) A dangling participle.
10. What is the poetry term for a rhythmic or syntactic pause at the end of a line of poetry?
(a) Breath mark.
(b) Didactic moment.
11. What color paper is, in Hugo's opinion, easy on the eyes?
12. Hugo states that when he was in graduate school, a published scholar who wrote clearly was referred to as a _____.
13. In what year does Hugo go back to visit his World War II stomping grounds in Europe?
14. After Hugo reclaims his past in the war, he and his wife become tourists and visit _____ in Lecce.
(b) Classical art galleries.
(c) Baroque churches.
15. Where is Captain Joel O. Moe from?
(a) North Dakota.
(c) West Virginia.
(d) North Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hugo feels that there is a tendency for literary professors to establish and maintain _____ over their students.
2. Where has Hugo worked that he says had little hostility between creative writers and academics?
3. Which profession does Hugo believe should be able to retire in twenty years with a full pension like policemen, firemen, and service personnel?
4. Which famous poet does Hugo say embodies a self superior to the self during the writing of a poem?
5. Which punctuation mark is strictly banned by Hugo?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)