|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hugo say proposes that all literary teachers take creative writing?
(a) W.B. Yeats.
(b) John Ericksson.
(c) George Garrett.
(d) Ezra Pound.
2. In what year does Hugo go back to visit his World War II stomping grounds in Europe?
3. Who does the British colonel remind Hugo of?
(a) John Wayne.
(b) Humphrey Bogart.
(c) Herbert Marshall.
(d) W.C. Fields.
4. Hugo states that formal verse can help a young poet locate things to say, and can also _____ him to say things he wouldn't say.
5. Which famous poet does Hugo say informs and fills another body during the writing of a poem?
6. Where is Captain Joel O. Moe from?
(b) North Dakota.
(c) North Carolina.
(d) West Virginia.
7. Where have three prostitutes set up shop a quarter of a mile from Hugo's squadron?
(a) An ammunition shed.
(b) An abandoned rail car.
(c) A hangar.
(d) A pumphouse.
8. What does Hugo say is the most important feeling a poet has?
(a) How he feels about loss.
(b) How he feels about the world.
(c) How he feels about love.
(d) How he feels about himself.
9. What is the maximum sentence length Hugo advises having in a poem?
(a) Fifty words.
(b) Seven words.
(c) Seventeen words.
(d) Ten words.
10. What is the name of the bush that grows wild in the Pacific Northwest that Hugo uses as a local noun?
(d) Royal purple.
11. Where does Hugo suggest placing a typed poem in order to feel pressure to work on it some more?
(a) On the wall.
(b) In a drawer.
(c) In a pocket.
(d) On a mirror.
12. What is it called when a poet restates the same idea in a different way?
(a) Being redundant.
(b) Being clear.
(c) Being clever.
(d) Being sarcastic.
13. Which famous poet does Hugo name as having the notion of the mask during the writing of a poem?
14. In which town does Hugo experience what his psychoanalyst calls a moment of surrender?
15. Hugo feels that the English language is deficient in _____.
(a) Honest adjectives.
(b) Effective homophones.
(c) Good full rhymes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the term Hugo uses for adding unnecessary words to a form?
2. In World War II, Hugo is a bombardier based in _____.
3. What word does Hugo say should only be used as a transitive verb for at least fifteen years?
4. Which punctuation mark is strictly banned by Hugo?
5. Hugo states that a Snopes poet obviously finds conservatism _____.
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)