|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A suggestion Hugo makes is to end more than half the lines and more than two-thirds of the sentences on _____.
(a) A multisyllabic word.
(b) A dangling participle.
(c) An exclamation.
(d) Words of one syllable.
2. Where does Hugo suggest placing a typed poem in order to feel pressure to work on it some more?
(a) On a mirror.
(b) In a pocket.
(c) In a drawer.
(d) On the wall.
3. What does Hugo say that Auden believes is the nemesis of American writers?
(b) Fear of failure.
4. What color paper is, in Hugo's opinion, easy on the eyes?
5. What is the name of the only celebrity that comes to visit Hugo's squadron during the war?
(a) Bob Hope.
(b) Hope Daniels.
(c) Jerry Lewis.
(d) Joe Lewis.
6. Which short story of Hemingway's has the protagonist, Krebs?
(a) "Soldier's Home".
(b) An African Story".
(c) "Summer People".
(d) "The Last Good Country".
7. Hugo states that formal verse can help a young poet locate things to say, and can also _____ him to say things he wouldn't say.
8. Where has Hugo worked that he says had little hostility between creative writers and academics?
9. Which famous poet does Hugo say informs and fills another body during the writing of a poem?
10. Which short story of Faulkner's has the protagonist, Snopes?
(a) "Barn Burning".
(d) "Mirrors of Charle Street".
11. What does Hugo call the tearing down of buildings, the building of new housing, etc., as being one problem for modern poets?
(a) Rapid dehumanization.
(b) Class deterioration.
(c) Wholesale changes.
(d) Vapid consumerism.
12. The British colonel that Hugo meets in Europe on his tour of duty is what member of the British aristocracy?
(a) A baron.
(b) A duke.
(c) An earl.
(d) A count.
13. Which famous poet does Hugo say embodies a self superior to the self during the writing of a poem?
14. Hugo believes that worthwhile things can't be _____.
(b) Carried out.
15. Which punctuation mark is strictly banned by Hugo?
(a) Exclamation points.
(b) Quotation marks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have three prostitutes set up shop a quarter of a mile from Hugo's squadron?
2. Hugo suggests that with the accumulated losses of knowns, the imagination is faced with the problem of preserving the world through _____.
3. Hugo believes that any _____, no matter how melodramatic, is preferable to none.
4. What is the minimum sentence length Hugob advises having in a poem?
5. Who tells Hugo that the imagination has an impulse to create unknowns out of knowns?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)