|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Hugo that the imagination has an impulse to create unknowns out of knowns?
(a) Madeline De Frees.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Alan Ginsberg.
(d) Theodore Roethke.
2. Hugo has heard academics refer to popular teachers as _____.
3. After Hugo reclaims his past in the war, he and his wife become tourists and visit _____ in Lecce.
(a) Baroque churches.
(b) Classical art galleries.
4. What color paper is, in Hugo's opinion, easy on the eyes?
5. Where is Captain Joel O. Moe from?
(a) West Virginia.
(b) North Dakota.
(c) North Carolina.
6. In what year does Hugo go back to visit his World War II stomping grounds in Europe?
7. Who is the creative writing teacher credited for teaching Eliot, Williams, Hemingway, and Yeats?
8. What is the maximum sentence length Hugo advises having in a poem?
(a) Seven words.
(b) Fifty words.
(c) Ten words.
(d) Seventeen words.
9. Hugo prefers the _____ tone he employs to a lot of qualifiers when giving poets rules to write by.
10. Hugo suggests that if one wants to change what is on the page, try using the same words and play with the _____.
11. Hugo states that a Snopes poet obviously finds conservatism _____.
12. Where has Hugo worked that he says had little hostility between creative writers and academics?
13. Which famous poet does Hugo say escapes from personality during the writing of a poem?
14. Who does Hugo say proposes that all literary teachers take creative writing?
(a) John Ericksson.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) George Garrett.
(d) W.B. Yeats.
15. In which town does Hugo experience what his psychoanalyst calls a moment of surrender?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hugo suggest placing a typed poem in order to feel pressure to work on it some more?
2. What large target does Hugo miss bombing?
3. What is the name of the only celebrity that comes to visit Hugo's squadron during the war?
4. What is the name of the supply officer that doesn't supply Hugo's squadron with enough blankets?
5. What does Hugo call the tearing down of buildings, the building of new housing, etc., as being one problem for modern poets?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)